PDA

View Full Version : How is the TiVo experience with Foxtel Digital?

lagomatic
16-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Hello Guys,

Just been following this forum recently & I'm looking at getting a TiVo soon but I'm hoping I can get some answers on how people are finding there TGivo in general.

1. Does everybody love their Tivo? It seem a fantistic system, is it to good to be true? How does to work with Foxtel Digital (Cable).

2. Is OzTivo a problematic sysem with lots of tweeking & IT fiddling or does it 'just work' once its up and running.

3. I've read in the previous forums that there was/is some EPG legal issues, is this old news & have this been cleared up & is there a fully functional free tv & fotel EPG for TiVo?.

4. How is the resposiveness of the Tivo when changing channels etc for Foxtel? It uses the IR blaster & I've heard the responsiveness can be a bit sluggish. Is this the case?

Any feedback would be really appreciated. Awaiting the good news & then I'm off to buy my TiVo!

Cheers

Lagomatic

zollymonsta
17-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Hi Lagomatic

1. Once you have a TiVo, you'll never go back to an ordinary VCR!
Ask any TiVo owner and I'm sure they'll agree. Many have more than 1
(I have two!) :)

2. There may be the occasional hiccup (and guide data is not guaranteed to be complete or correct). TiVo stability also depends on wether you are running lots of scripts on the unit. Many TiVo'ers get several months of TiVo use without having to do a reboot, whilst others may get a couple of weeks.
Since I re-installed my TiVo's with the minimum running (for example, I am only running the bufferhack script to increase the live buffer from 30 mins to 90 mins) I get around 2 months before a reboot is needed.

3. You can read about this more on the OzTiVo website. Data is now manually entered by individuals. Read the website for more information.

4. Not a Foxtel user here, but the channel changing will rely on how reliable the IR codes for the Foxtel box are. Some Foxtel users can probably comment on this better than me :)

All in all, you can't beat a TiVo! My new 6 head nicam VCR has been sitting collecting dust since the beginning of the year when I got my first tivo. :)

Good luck with your TiVo. Make sure you check out eksys.com and speak to George. He does a good deal on series 1 TiVos.

ZollyMonsta

Hello Guys,

1. Does everybody love their Tivo? It seem a fantistic system, is it to good to be true? How does to work with Foxtel Digital (Cable).

2. Is OzTivo a problematic sysem with lots of tweeking & IT fiddling or does it 'just work' once its up and running.

3. I've read in the previous forums that there was/is some EPG legal issues, is this old news & have this been cleared up & is there a fully functional free tv & fotel EPG for TiVo?.

4. How is the resposiveness of the Tivo when changing channels etc for Foxtel? It uses the IR blaster & I've heard the responsiveness can be a bit sluggish. Is this the case?

Any feedback would be really appreciated. Awaiting the good news & then I'm off to buy my TiVo!

Cheers

Lagomatic

lagomatic
17-11-2004, 08:10 AM

Thanks for yout speedy feedback ZollyMonsta.

Anybody have any news on the foxtel digital side of things?

I'd be interested to know if its a viable replacement to the Foxtel Digital EPG for everyday use i.e. use all the time or is the TiVo just more of a digital vcr kind of sutup and switch back to Foxtel Digital for normal use browsing?