PDA

View Full Version : Emulator IP changed

ehintz
13-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi all...

My webhost seems to have changed IPs on me (without mentioning it to me, damnit all). The new IP for the emulator is 66.92.222.38, you'll need to modfiy /etc/tclient.conf to point there. Sorry for the hassle, it's out of my control.

When we roll our own image we should definitely setup DNS so that we can make IP changes invisible to the enduser. This is kind of wildly annoying.

zollymonsta
14-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Just smile and think of the tiny titties ;) works for me everytime :)

ehintz
14-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Heh. Some time from now, many people will be wondering what all this sexist talk is about... ;-)

zollymonsta
15-11-2004, 06:15 AM
I didn't do it, you can't prove a thing ;)

Wibble
15-11-2004, 02:26 PM
I have setup a DNS entry for the emulator, it's emulator.caffeine.co.nz

To setup DNS on your tivo download and install
ftp://tivo.caffeine.co.nz/install/optional/libresolv-0.1-bins.tar.gz

Just make sure you replace the old apps (ping etc) otherwise you will get segmentation faults.

ehintz
16-11-2004, 06:00 AM
Actually, you could just use www.pbp.net; that's the webhost, so when that address moves the emulator goes with it... Though using caffeine may be preferable in the event that the emulator moves to a different webhost altogether... Perhaps the best option would be to cname emulator.caffeine to pbp.net...

badcat
16-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Hi all...

My webhost seems to have changed IPs on me (without mentioning it to me, damnit all). The new IP for the emulator is 66.92.222.38, you'll need to modfiy /etc/tclient.conf to point there. Sorry for the hassle, it's out of my control.

When we roll our own image we should definitely setup DNS so that we can make IP changes invisible to the enduser. This is kind of wildly annoying.

hi - is there somewhere with instructions for this?
is it just a matter of editing a text config file via FTP?
any hints?

ken

BruceC
16-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Hey Ken - I had to be the person to offer you help ;-)

Telnet (with terminal on Mac) into Tivo and then follow the instructs (after running guided setup) on http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/ImageWithScreenShots

But the Ip address in there is the old one, so substitute with new one, leaving the bits before and after so you end up with
127::66.92.222.38:80:::

Cheers
Bruce (newest newbie around)

badcat
19-11-2004, 05:27 PM
sorry if i look like a dick, but...
i did the ip address change - went into guided setup - did all that - all works now - BUT.
the time is out by 5 hours.
did settime twice and it confirms the time has been correctly set.
the guide data is also out - one news at 1pm?
what have i done wrong?

bewildered...
hopeless in northcote.

BruceC
19-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Hey man,

Mine did that (5 hour thing) twice during my original setup. I fixed it both times by simply pulling the power cord out of the back of the TiVo for 30 seconds or so. And once fixed it has been working fine ever since (weeks)

Bruce

badcat
19-11-2004, 08:59 PM
that fixed it.
thanks bruce.
really appreciate it.
k
:)

SeanOffShotgun
29-01-2005, 11:55 AM
I have setup a DNS entry for the emulator, it's emulator.caffeine.co.nz

To setup DNS on your tivo download and install
ftp://tivo.caffeine.co.nz/install/optional/libresolv-0.1-bins.tar.gz

Just make sure you replace the old apps (ping etc) otherwise you will get segmentation faults.

Hi Wibble,

I've setup DNS on my Tivo - thanks for that info.
I can ping emulator.caffeine.co.nz and it resolves to 64.151.65.200 as one would hope.

But I can't make a daily call, it responds with "Failed. Service unavailable".

I wonder if I've put the wrong thing in /etc/tclients.conf?
My service line is:
127::emulator.caffeine.co.nz:80:::

Is that correct? Is there anything else could I use to test my setup other than a simple ping?

OR am I just off track with this? Maybe you setup the DNS entry for the emulator for another reason?

Thanks,

Sean.