PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions - Zenith IR / Colour mods

ITB
14-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Hi Everyone!

Just received my TiVo (thanks George), have set it all up (instructions with screen shots were a huge help as no prior linux exp), now just a bit stuck on the last couple of configs and was hoping someone could lend a hand;

i) i have Sky Digital with a Zenith STB, have read all the instructions but can't locate the zenithsky.tcl file that all the articles refer to, can anyone flick me a copy?

ii) am also experiencing the 'over saturated' colours everyone seems to suffer from... have read the posts about the palmod.conf file, but there seems to be a lot of different solutions. Could someone please post a quick step by step on the best solution to adjust the colours, including how to create the file and where to copy it?

Many thanks
Blair

Wibble
14-10-2004, 08:38 AM
i) i have Sky Digital with a Zenith STB, have read all the instructions but can't locate the zenithsky.tcl file that all the articles refer to, can anyone flick me a copy?

It's in ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install/

ii) am also experiencing the 'over saturated' colours everyone seems to suffer from... have read the posts about the palmod.conf file, but there seems to be a lot of different solutions. Could someone please post a quick step by step on the best solution to adjust the colours, including how to create the file and where to copy it?

You basically need to run palmod_config to change the settings or
edit the file /etc/palmod.conf and reboot for the changes to take effect.
I use the AV input and the values I use with my Pace unit are
avbrightness=120 avcontrast=75 avsaturation=60

timmy
14-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Blair,

please consider updating the wiki with IR codes and palmod info..

grr should have read this post first before my private messages cause i just replied to ur msg which is this one. haha

TiM

ITB
16-10-2004, 12:23 PM
TiVo now up and running 100% Thanks for your help!

Even after adjusting the colours, the picture was definitely 'less sharp' post introduction of the TiVo. Thinking my antique Zenith, using composite connections, could be to blame i called up Sky and they swapped me over to a nice new Pace box. I'm now conected up with the Pace box via s-video and and pretty sure that the quality is better i.e. pretty much the same with or without TiVo in the loop. So anyway, for anyone out there using an old Zenith box and not happy with colours suggest you get ya STB upgraded!

Will get onto the wiki!

Cheers
ITB

gibbo
16-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi Team tivo

I have spent a few hours this weekend getting second hand Tivo running. The instructions were great and thanks to you all for the efforts to help new people like me.

However - Can't get the IR working on Zenith STB (sky) when following instructions and execute the zenithSky command it returns error

Can't open object (errDbNotFound)

search OzTivo site and is mentioned but not in same context and did not help. has anyone had this issue and do you know how to fix, it is so frusrating having Tivo up and running and not able to change channes so cant set for differnet one etc.

Appreciate help.

Regards Gibbo

thomson
17-10-2004, 12:03 PM

Might wish to check that you have uploaded the file in binary. Else you could try using dos2unix to convert the TCL file into a Unix text formatted file.

# dos2unix zenithSky.tcl
# tivosh
% source zenithSky.tcl
% zenithSky

zollymonsta
18-10-2004, 06:05 AM
also, check the name of the file... I find that my ftp program converts all the uppercase to lowercase when I ftp files across. so

SkyZenith.tcl would become skyzenith.tcl

Can cause some confusion.

you can always rename it by typing

mv skyzenith.tcl SkyZenith.tcl

This trick caught me out with another script on the weekend.

brian
19-10-2004, 05:38 PM
However - Can't get the IR working on Zenith STB (sky) when following instructions and execute the zenithSky command it returns error

Regards Gibbo

I think I had a similar problem with a Tivo I did for a friend - I used the trick here http://forums.oztivo.net/showpost.php?p=1693&postcount=11 - it seemed that the renaming of the CableBoxCodeNum to 20001 allowed the database to load. I'm not sure if that is the end of the story though - my friend tells me that it isn't working anymore. These how-to's

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/IR/IRCapturingCodesWithTivo (see Step 6-9)
http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/IR/IRConversionMoreDetail

suggest that CableBoxCodeNum's >30000 get overwritten, and also describe how to set the database with "dbsetx", which I don't think I did.

Hope some of this helps a bit. My mate is very impressed with my technical ability (not) and has decided to swap for a Pace STB to make life easier (so I will never know if I could have got the Zenith working...).

You can do an updated how-to when you get it sorted!!
Good luck

Brian

WerV
04-11-2004, 07:57 AM
I have been trying to load the Sony tcl file for Code 30004 from Warren Toomey (http://minnie.tuhs.org/tivo-bin/irdatabase.cgi) into my Tivo(US Philips from Eksys) :) . I cut and paste the relevant data in Notepad on my PC and then FTP it as an ascii file to my Tivo. I successfully run source and loadcodes commands under the Tivo shell. I even get a successful outcome when I set the source to the cablebox number 30004 using the dbset command.

When I go back to Tivo central and try to find cableboxnumber 30004 I can't as the only options are cable box brand name and even under Sony there is no entry for 30004....can anyone help me as to where I might find it under the Tivo setup.... :confused:

zollymonsta
04-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Haven't looked into this myself but I'm guessing that if you load codes via a TCL file they won't show up under the IR Codes screen on the TiVo.

I take it you are going to be using loadguide?

I'm not sure how the emulator would work if you manually load a TCL file for the IR codes, if at all it would.

I have been trying to load the Sony tcl file for Code 30004 from Warren Toomey (http://minnie.tuhs.org/tivo-bin/irdatabase.cgi) into my Tivo(US Philips from Eksys) :) . I cut and paste the relevant data in Notepad on my PC and then FTP it as an ascii file to my Tivo. I successfully run source and loadcodes commands under the Tivo shell. I even get a successful outcome when I set the source to the cablebox number 30004 using the dbset command.

When I go back to Tivo central and try to find cableboxnumber 30004 I can't as the only options are cable box brand name and even under Sony there is no entry for 30004....can anyone help me as to where I might find it under the Tivo setup.... :confused:

thomson
04-11-2004, 03:10 PM
even under Sony there is no entry for 30004...

You may want to take one of the codes that does show up under the Sony entry and use this rather than 30004. You may need to edit the TCL (source) to alter the number. This should then overwrite the old IR codes with the new ones, and you will be able to select it under the GUI.