PDA

View Full Version : Wired remote extender for Tivo?

Tony
23-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Gidday all,

I'm keen to wire my new house up, and obviously it'd be nice to be able to watch Tivo from in bed.

But where's the fun if you can't also drive the thing from there? Dashing downstairs at the end of each programme kind of undermines the point of the whole exercise, and may create disturbing scenes for my neighbours as I flash past the windows...

There are various IR extenders for sale around the place, but all seem to be via a radio link... I've tried that before, without a lot of success. And since I'm running cables anyway, I'd like to do it properly.

I've scoured the net for a suitable circuit, and found a number, but also various references to Tivo being tricky to get working with them.

So, anyone solved this problem already?

Cheers,

Tony

zollymonsta
23-09-2004, 02:56 PM
check out the oztivo website and do a search. There were ideas for doing this on the mailing list a month or so back, using cat5 cable.

deanm
23-09-2004, 06:06 PM
I've had success with the digitor GigaAir 2020 wireless video sender from dse (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/415291050cc0ba8a273fc0a87f990721/Product/View/L5866).. 2.4ghz.. plows through 3 walls.. not a problem *also handles remote extension and has a range of @100 meters .. they were on special a while back $98 ;)

might be worth a look..

zollymonsta
23-09-2004, 06:49 PM
I've had success with the digitor GigaAir 2020 wireless video sender from dse (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/415291050cc0ba8a273fc0a87f990721/Product/View/L5866).. 2.4ghz.. plows through 3 walls.. not a problem *also handles remote extension and has a range of @100 meters .. they were on special a while back $98 ;)

might be worth a look..

Oh yeah, should have mentioned that I have one of these too. Also got it on special for that price at DSE. Great minds think alike eh deanm? ;)

ehintz
23-09-2004, 07:54 PM
No no no, guys... What you want to do is get another TiVo for the other room, run Cat5, and set the things up with Sanderton's conflict resolution hacks... Mmmmm..... :D

http://www.beaconhill.plus.com/TiVo/tivohacks.htm

zollymonsta
24-09-2004, 05:46 AM
No no no, guys... What you want to do is get another TiVo for the other room, run Cat5, and set the things up with Sanderton's conflict resolution hacks... Mmmmm..... :D

http://www.beaconhill.plus.com/TiVo/tivohacks.htm

Oh, I'm gonna do that too.. :) Except I'm renting so aint prepared to run cat 5 to the other end of the house. ;) TiVo #2 will be connected to the Giga air with the conflict resolve and also the MFS Streaming from one tivo to another hooked up.

Slightly off topic, but Ed, have you had any joy capturing IR codes? I had a crack last night and failed miserably. My 2nd TiVo is now in a constant reboot loop and will require re-imaging (thank goodness it's a 'play' tivo and not being used at present) :)

ehintz
24-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Well, my experience wasn't so hot. I followed the instructions to the letter but never could get the box working (it was a newer Moto box for Sky). After dicking with it for a while, my mate (the esteemed Tony who started this here thread, and I don't say esteemed just because he's a station officer on the fire brigade and could run my *** off at training if he decides I'm annoying :D) had a realization that his brother in law down the street had a Pace box, rang him up and traded 'em(10 minutes later our 2 hours of dicking with IR capture was all over). They got a newer box, he got a box that worked with existing codes, and I never pursued it any further. I was wondering if perhaps the newer Moto boxes do something different in their codes, but I've not yet had a chance to play with another.

I remember in some other thread somebody said you could ring Sky and for something like $30 they'd trade you out for a Pace box, I think at least a couple of folks have done this rather than screw with IR capture. Though if it was my box I'd probably keep it and make it work, just because I'd be annoyed otherwise. ;)

zollymonsta
25-09-2004, 06:14 AM
Yeah I'm on saturn anyway. I'm experimienting getting something else running through it. Ah well.. :)

SeanOffShotgun
25-09-2004, 12:53 PM
I was wondering if perhaps the newer Moto boxes do something different in their codes, but I've not yet had a chance to play with another.
What model Motorola are you guys having trouble with? It took me a little while but I managed to get mine working with the codes that were on Tim's site (it was mostly that the tcl wasn't complete).

Colin
10-12-2004, 09:09 PM
....There are various IR extenders for sale around the place, but all seem to be via a radio link... I've tried that before, without a lot of success. And since I'm running cables anyway, I'd like to do it properly.

I've scoured the net for a suitable circuit, and found a number, but also various references to Tivo being tricky to get working with them.

So, anyone solved this problem already?

Cheers,

Tony

I have had a hard-wired system for a while using a kit from Jaycar Electronics, with the signal carried over 2 wires in the Cat5 network I put in the house when we built. It works fine for a variety of IR remotes including Sky, a VCR and a DVD player.

Now I have just got my new TiVo up & running, I was looking forward to it working with that too, but no such luck! It seems to register the remote's transmission, but no action at the TiVo end.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Colin

waynez
11-12-2004, 05:56 AM
Xantech remote extender is the only reliable way to do it. You'll need to find a good audio store that sells them.

Multiple receviers around the house, output to the tivo and it works without failure. Runs of any three cores of cable.

If you want, I can post the part numbers of the parts required.

Colin
11-12-2004, 07:03 AM
Thanks. Part numbers would be helpful.

Colin

Tony
13-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Hi guys,

I'd appreciate more details too, drew a blank some time ago when I first asked.

By the way, I have a wireless extender that works OK (Tivo remote doesn't really, but the basic pictures and sound are OK) but unfortunately it just don't play nice with my 802.11g network... subtle problem actually, everything worked, but wireless network range is halved (man was I happy when I figured THAT one out!).

Geeze I'm turning into a *severe* geek...

Cheers,

Tony

Tony
13-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi all,

Have found out a bit about the remote extender mentioned above...

Xantech's own website:-
http://www.xantech.com/

NZ Distributers:-
http://www.avd.co.nz/Products/Xantech.aspx

One NZ suppliers' Xantech pages:-
http://www.supremeantennas.co.nz/products/view_product.php?id=602

Another one (recommended by me from good past business contact):-
http://www.sandman.co.nz/

Another recommended manufacturer:-
http://www.axium.co.nz/default.htm

And their system's instal manual:-
http://www.axium.co.nz/downloads/controllers/Axium-RXF-RXD-installation-brief.doc

Pretty bloody expensive though! Around $300 per pickup sensor, $150ish for the rest of the system. The Axium system mentioned above is a bit cheaper ($200 ish for each sensor), and is an NZ manufacturer, though not Tivo-tested as far as I know.

Would be really nice to find plans to build something, surely not rocket science... I've done a big trawl online without finding anything that definitely speaks Tivo. Anyone done better?

Cheers,

Tony

waynez
13-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi, I see someone found the Xantech details, here is what I got...

Xantech Dual Mini emitter High Output - p/n:282M/RP
> The emitters, mount around or on the equipment you want to control, these emit the IR signal to the Tivo, or whatever device you want to control. The four output controller, allows up to four of these but in practice, the light strength and multi-directional ability one pair is more than sufficent.

Xantech CFL Friendly Dinky Link - p/n:480-80B
> These are the most expensive part of the setup, they receive the signal. Multiple receivers can be installed, the CFL Friendly ones are less affected by Sunlight or flourescent light.

Xantech Single Zone Controller with 4 Outputs - p/n:789-44
> The zone controller ties everything together, this is the base model, from here it steps up to multi-zone models, but in most cases for a fairly low-end setup this would be more than sufficent.

Xantech Power Supply Small 200Ma - p/n:781-RG
> Power supply for above.

I've been using this setup successfully for about 6 months now, I have installed Dinky Links in all the rooms that have a TV, so all the Audio Equipment, including TIVO, DVD and VCR, SKY can be controlled from any room with a TV. The only trick is getting used to pointing the remote at the TV to control everything, instead of having to walk to the other end of the house to change channels. Best investment next to the Tivo.

If you want to know any more, let me know, I can also probably get you prices if your interested.

Tony
13-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Hi Waynez,

I'd definitely like to know what sort of prices you managed to get... did you fork out $300 for each receiver unit?

May be just me, but that sounds HORRIBLY expensive compared to... well, anything really!

If you got 'em cheaper, could you tell us where?

Cheers!

Tony

waynez
12-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. From memory the receivers were around the $190 mark, the emitters $30 and the single zone controller and powersupply $130 odd. Would need to confirm all those prices but it was around that price.

I had in the past tried other various options, Jaycar make a wired extender that worked ok, but failed to recognise the tivo remote. I have also read about wireless devie that can be placed around the house to distribute the signal.

The Xantech system works reliably, doesn't need any configuration, and works well when controlling all the devices from outside on the deck, in the bedrooms, in the main family room or in the main lounge. ie It's fairly tolarant of UV from the Sun and flourecent lighting, and works reliably with many different remotes. ( 16 remotes in total last count :eek: )

I guess it comes down to how much your prepared to pay versus the amont of frustration your prepared to put up with when it doesn't work.

Tony
16-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks Wayne,

Yes, I guess you're right. And its not like its something you have to do every five minutes.

Can you tell us where you bought the bits from though? The prices you mentioned are substancially cheaper than any I have seen.

Cheers,

Tony

Shane
24-01-2005, 07:21 PM
I have had a hard-wired system for a while using a kit from Jaycar Electronics, with the signal carried over 2 wires in the Cat5 network I put in the house when we built. It works fine for a variety of IR remotes including Sky, a VCR and a DVD player.

I have the JayCar wired remote extender and my tivo remote works fine. i have them hooked up with a length of cat5 cable and all works well.

Tony
27-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Hi Shane,

Is that this one (world's longest URL!)...

http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=KC5209&CATID=&keywords=remote&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

Cheers,

Tony

Tony
27-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Also found these on Silicon Cip Magazine's site (who designed Jaycar's kit):-

===

Remote Control Extender Questions

I’ve recently purchased a Remote Control Extender kit (SILICON CHIP, July 1996) and was wondering if the following is possible. I would like to hook up two or three separate rooms to be able to receive remote control signals and have the transmitted signal sent back to a single destination using the one kit (if possible).

I’ve searched your site and noticed people asking for multiple IR transmitters (IR LED1) but not multiple IR receivers (IC1).

I was thinking I could house the PC board main unit near the receiving devices (VCR/DVD and A/V receiver) and use a single 9V DC power supply to drive the multiple IR receivers (IC1) rather than having to plug in up to three separate power supplies with three separate kits.

I was thinking I could do this by running three wires (using Cat 5e) in series to each of the IR receiver positions in the rooms but have no idea about the resistors, etc needed. Alternatively, if I used four wires, I could possibly accompany each of the IR receivers with its own acknowledge LED.

Please let me know if this is possible and how I could achieve it. (P. R., via email).

There is no reason why three IR receivers (IC1) cannot be paralleled, with the outputs connected together. The outputs are essentially open-collectors requiring a pull-up resistor.

In the circuit, they use a 1kΩ resistor in series with a LED. So use the one IR extender and add in two more IR receivers by paralleling the positive supply, 0V and outputs.

Note that each external IR detector would need a 10μF electrolytic capacitor across its power supply.

=====

More IRLEDs for remote control extender

Could you let me know if it is possible to run more than one IRLED on the remote control extender featured in the July 1996 issue. If so, what do I have to do so it still works. I need to do this because I have two units in different places.(R. S., via email).

You can run another IRLED via a separate 220Ω resistor connected to transistor Q1.

=====

Extending the IR extender

Some time ago I purchased a Remote Control Extender kit, as described in the July 1996 issue of SILICON CHIP. While the unit works fine, I find that the operational range of the IR transmitting diode is only around 1.2m. I have played around with VR1 but this is the best range I can achieve. I have an application where I would like to mount the IR transmitter around 3.5m away from my stereo and was wandering whether it is possible to extend the range to a similar range of my stereo's remote control.

I do not have access to an oscilloscope but have used a multimeter to test the voltage and current of the IR diode while operating. The diode is drawing around 3-5mA during transmission. The Dick Smith Electronics reference material suggests that normal operation should be around 20mA with a maximum of 50mA. Is it possible to increase the output of this diode by reducing the resistance of the 220W resistor at the collector of Q1?

(P. B., via email).

The current through the LED is 40mA and so increasing the current could damage the IRLED. Further range could be achieved by paralleling more IRLEDs, each with their own 220W resistor in series. Also you could try adding a torch reflector behind the LEDs to give a more concentrated beam of IR light.

=====

Cheers,

Tony

ehintz
27-01-2005, 07:56 PM
(in Yoda voice) TinyURL you seek, yes. (http://tinyurl.com/)

Colin
13-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Hi Tony & Shane,

Yes, the Jaycar / Silicon Chip kit is the one Shane and I are using. But I don't know why his one works with the TiVo and my two extenders do not.

Both are without modification from the standard design, although the connection to the LED goes through a significant length of Cat5 cable (about 20m all up) with a join by the network hub. Still, they work for the other devices, so I think it must be something to do with the fidelity of replicating the TiVo IR codes.

Shane - have you done anything different in constructing or setting up yours? Where have you placed the LED in relation to the TiVo?

Colin

Muzza
15-02-2005, 07:44 AM
I too used to have one of those Jaycar extender kits that worked resonably well for most devices but didn't want to work with the TiVo. The cable run isn't excessive and there is no other "joins" or extras in the circuit. After getting frustrated with it all I decided to explore other options. I ended up buying the Xantech setup that Waynez had mentioned earlier and it works perfectly. The sender and receiver are also a lot more discreet as opposed to looking like something you slapped together in electronics class :D and it works perfectly with all my remote controlled devices. It cost me around $400 in total but has saved on the swearing and cursing when trying to use the TiVo in other rooms.

Shane
21-02-2005, 05:23 PM
I have not done anything different with mine, i use to use it with a sky remote now it works with the tivo one. I have the LED taped onto the piece between the two leds on the front of the Tivo. There is an adjustment pot on the circuit from memory so perhaps you could try adjusting that.

Shane