PDA

View Full Version : How to copy recorded programs from TiVo to PC

pauls02
27-06-2021, 11:45 PM
Hi all, Firstly my apologies if the answer to this question has been posted in another forum. I have a modded oztivo Series 3 TiVo and I am looking for the easiest way to transfer recorded programs to my PC. As the unit has been modified it no longer has a MAK. Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

boritz
28-06-2021, 10:28 AM
Are you certain that your TiVo doesn't still have a MAK? The modification doesn't delete it but perhaps you have also replaced the HDD.

I posted a How-To transfer via a browser using the MAK (and how to find it) in this thread (https://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?2985-Trasfering-from-Tivo-to-PC) but I've not read anywhere that it can be done without one. I believe that the MAK is an encryption key for the recordings.

In that thread Darren posted a caution about backing-up to retain the MAK.

pauls02
29-06-2021, 12:18 PM
Are you certain that your TiVo doesn't still have a MAK? The modification doesn't delete it but perhaps you have also replaced the HDD.

I posted a How-To transfer via a browser using the MAK (and how to find it) in this thread (https://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?2985-Trasfering-from-Tivo-to-PC) but I've not read anywhere that it can be done without one. I believe that the MAK is an encryption key for the recordings.

In that thread Darren posted a caution about backing-up to retain the MAK.

Hi boritz and thanks for the reply. I have checked the unit and there is no heading listed Media Access Key under "TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Account & System Information". I have certainly not replaced the HDD. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

boritz
29-06-2021, 02:08 PM
... I have certainly not replaced the HDD. Any other suggestions? ...
Unfortunately I don't have anything - except perhaps could a 'factory reset' or 'clear everything' wipe your MAK?

Thinking aloud - "I wonder if a backup from a TiVo with a MAK can be installed on any other TiVo, since licensing is no longer relevant?". I don't know if the MAK is keyed to the host hardware or not.

I don't have Tivos anymore - switched to using FetchTV Mightys.

pauls02
01-07-2021, 04:36 PM
Hi boritz, Thanks for your reply. I understand why you switched to Fetch as it is a simple matter to copy to program and watch recorded programs remotely. Still, I was thinking that with the oztivo software mods that there must be a way to transfer to the PC. Hopefully someone in the oztivo community will see this post and have some suggestions. Cheers.

Darren King
02-07-2021, 05:55 PM
As the unit has been modified it no longer has a MAK.

The TiVo didn’t have one before modding. I check that as one of my pre mod tests.

pauls02
03-07-2021, 03:01 PM
Thanks Darren. Not sure how that happened as to the best of my knowledge the unit has never been repaired or the HDD replaced.