PDA

View Full Version : Updating of Guide

viewer
05-12-2017, 08:48 AM
My TiVo working fine for some time now after upgrade.

I notice, in the menu's to do with the guide, it keeps saying something along the lines of "only 2 days of guide data left", and a message tells you to connect to update it.

Do I have to manually do this, or if I leave it, will it simply update itself before the guide runs out?

Thanks

Timbosaurus
05-12-2017, 10:47 AM
I saw this in the FAQ. May be a solution...

http://hd.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Guidedata/WhatIsThisNonagChannel

Vuillard
07-12-2017, 07:29 AM
Do I have to manually do this, or if I leave it, will it simply update itself before the guide runs out?

In my experience I have to trigger the update manually. I am trying to find a way to trigger it automatically. It is (in theory) possible to telnet into the TiVo and add a cron job but the unknown for me is what command to run. The interface between the Linux operating system and the TV app side I find difficult. Maybe there is a TyDB file on the MFS partition that can be tweaked using dbset.

DavidKeegel
07-12-2017, 10:57 AM
I use TiVo Series 3 (HD).
I haven't see a message about "only 2 days of guide data left".
Currently OzTiVo for Series 3 is only supplying guide info for 3 days at a time (today, tomorrow, the day after).
I don't think we have a Nonag channel for S3.
For me connecting to TiVo service (which gets new guide data) happens automatically about every 25-26 hours, but it can be manually triggered with Messages & Settings > Settings > Network Settings > Connect to TiVo service now.
In Network Settings it should say "Next attempt" with the date and time when it will next try to connect automatically to tivo service. There should be no need to use cron for connecting to tivo service.

viewer
07-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Forgive me please, but I am ever so confused.

I had the TiVo in standby mode, all lights off, but still wireless connected to the internet.

I just turned it on, and it has the message that info is running low, and it only has one day of info left.

Can't it access the guide/mothership in standby mode?

viewer
08-12-2017, 02:05 PM
The standby mode is in settings.

It turns it off, you see no lights on the front, it is awoken by pressing the Tivo button

viewer
08-12-2017, 02:06 PM
https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Power-Saving-and-Standby-Modes

cpab
08-12-2017, 02:13 PM
G'day again viewer,

Sorry about my 'wrong' reply. I have never had occasion to use that Standby.

Shows how much I know; however, I'm willing to learn.

I don't know what connections are still 'live' in Standby mode, but it may pay to google for an answer if you don't have a Tivo Manual.

I will endeavour to find out myself, seeing as I've learned a bit so far. No point in going off half prepared.

I hope someone else comes up with an answer to your problem in the meantime.

Regards

Chris

viewer
08-12-2017, 02:37 PM
G'day again viewer,

Sorry about my 'wrong' reply. I have never had occasion to use that Standby.

Don't be silly saying sorry....I am only new, and to me, no question/reply is wrong, it is all knowledge....I'm just happy someone is replying, and these threads are being used.

Hopefully a skilled up person will be able to let this newbie know what to do?

At this stage, I have little trust in setting up season passes, and will have to possibly continue setting a record via the tv guide?

Vuillard
12-12-2017, 07:04 AM
There should be no need to use cron for connecting to tivo service.

Unless you want to avoid having to trigger it manually, which I do.

Vuillard
12-12-2017, 07:09 AM
For me connecting to TiVo service (which gets new guide data) happens automatically about every 25-26 hours

Mine does not do that. Any idea why yours connects that often and mine does not?

andymoz
12-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Mine does not do that. Any idea why yours connects that often and mine does not?

Mine connects automatically too. Every 25-26 hours. I feel fortunate in the sense I have had no issues with getting the Tivo up and running again.

Vuillard
12-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Mine connects automatically too.

Well, now I am grumpy :(

viewer
12-12-2017, 05:52 PM
I have left my TiVo alone for a few days, just with the green light on and attached to the net.

In MESSAGES" I have this
Mon 11/12 Program info has run out
Sun 10/12 Program info is running low
Sun 10/12 Program info has run out
Sat 9/12 Program info is running low
Sat 9/12 Program info has run out
Fri 8/12 Program info has run out

Is this normal for others?

edcba
12-12-2017, 06:48 PM

No. Not for me.

cpab
12-12-2017, 07:15 PM
I have left my TiVo alone for a few days, just with the green light on and attached to the net.

No, not normal for my setup either. I'm wondering where these messages are generated from.
Are they prompted from within the Tivo when it's not receiving the program data?
From the System Information, can you see if the Service connections are being made and when the next is scheduled?

viewer
12-12-2017, 07:58 PM
I went into network, connected again with the server. All boxes ticked it is up to 36% loading info.

This all how it s is for me

How can you tell when it is next scheduled?

DavidKeegel
12-12-2017, 08:41 PM

I am not aware of something which would cause a TiVo not to connect automatically, but if we get more
information, maybe we can troubleshoot why that is happening and/or work out how to fix it.
It would help to know what it says in Network Settings. (TiVo > Messages & Settings > Settings > Network.)

That should say Last attempt date & time, Last attempt status, and when the next attempt is scheduled for.
Knowing that should give us some ideas of whether it is trying to connect automatically and failing,
or it is not scheduling an attempt for 25-26 hours after the last one (like TiVos normally do).

If there is a connection currently in progress, then wait until after it succeeds or fails to see that info
on last attempt and next attempt.

This is also an answer for

How can you tell when it is next scheduled?

cpab
12-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Well, just seems strange that I only commented at tea time that I hadn't encountered any problems with guide data and such,
just noticed the program guide has jumped forward 3 hours, when it was 8:00 pm the guide was messed up and saying 11:00 pm at the top.
Tried a reboot, but still comes up with 3 hour advanced time.

Edit: 8:30 pm and after reboot time was still 3 hours advanced, but after a few minutes came correct. Service connection still in progress, whether from reboot or from scheduled time of next service connection, which I noticed earlier today was for 11:30 pm, which was the incorrect time on my guide data at 11:30pm.

It's got me bamboozled.

viewer
12-12-2017, 10:46 PM
The data......
Next attempt Wed 13/12 9.54PM
Last attempt Tue 12/12 8.20PM
Last Status Succeeded

viewer
13-12-2017, 10:18 PM
I'm back....
Well, it's now 10.10PM 13/12/17 and the message on my TiVo says "Wed 13/12 Program info has run out"

The last message told me that it would do an attempt at Wed 13/12 9.54PM

HOWEVER looking in Network, it says it progress is at 78%, so I assume, it is doing the auto update/9.54PM job to fix itself?

When I look in the guide, many things simply say "to be announced"..so it seems to run right down to nothing before it refreshes?

Dunno if this is right, but????

cpab
14-12-2017, 08:58 AM
I'm back....

HOWEVER looking in Network, it says it progress is at 78%, so I assume, it is doing the auto update/9.54PM job to fix itself?

Dunno if this is right, but????

G'day viewer,

It looks like that part is working fine. I'm hoping that you awake this am to find you have some guide program data.

I had a Tivo owner call me yesterday and he said his guide was working fine with postcode 6032.

Vuillard
15-12-2017, 06:27 PM
I did a "clear program information and to do list" followed by a guided setup. That seems to have fixed the problem with the TiVo not automatically downloading the EPG. It is still giving a "low EPG data" message but it is actually getting the data without me manually triggering it. Unfortunately the clear and setup process has cleared the TiVo's name and MAK. I have reinstated the MAK using the instructions given by user pawl here (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?2812-Upgrade-to-11-3b10-from-11-3b8&p=18483#post18483). I am still trying to get kmttg to detect my TiVo. If I cannot solve it I will go back to an earlier image.

Vuillard
15-12-2017, 09:23 PM
I now have kmttg working. I am not sure what the problem was. I set and unset the beacon/bonjour setting but I am pretty sure I ended up back where I started.

cpab
16-12-2017, 01:15 AM
Unfortunately the clear and setup process has cleared the TiVo's name and MAK. I have reinstated the MAK using the instructions given by user pawl here (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?2812-Upgrade-to-11-3b10-from-11-3b8&p=18483#post18483). I am still trying to get kmttg to detect my TiVo. If I cannot solve it I will go back to an earlier image.

Managed to get in and make the alterations given by Pawl, but to no avail. I did a C&DE on this one, so I wonder if it is beyond reinstating the MAK.