PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 11.3b10 from 11.3b8

Vuillard
29-11-2017, 06:22 AM
I have tried a variety of permutations of the OzTiVo EPG mod and hard drive upgrades over the last month or so. I know that at least once my TiVo updated to 11.3b10 but that must have been a now-wiped configuration . However, somewhere in the process I have ended up with my TiVo on 11.b38. It seems to be working fine. The only significant problem I have is that when I use kmttg to transfer episodes of "12 Monkeys" to my PC it stops at about 96Mb of each 1.08Gb "file".

So, my question is, do I need to try to force the update from 11.b8 to 11.b10 for any reason? Also, is it still possible to force the update now in late November 2017? Over on Whirlpool at least one user reported eoing the update as late as 14 November.

Darren King
29-11-2017, 06:33 PM
You can no longer force an upgrade. The TiVo server is no longer active. For now you will need to stay on 11.3b8 and maybe in the future we may be able to push out 11.3b10 on the OzTiVo server. It is another thing on the "To do" list.

Vuillard
29-11-2017, 08:51 PM
You can no longer force an upgrade.
Thanks Darren, as always. I take it that it is not critical. I could (I guess) source a TBK from a TiVo with the upgrade but it is not worth it.

Darren King
30-11-2017, 01:41 AM
11.3b8 works just fine. The only difference between that and 11.3b10 is essentially TiVo set the units to never expire, hence why a program cleverly written called "Ticketmaster" by one of our talented software people is automatically installed and run on a machine with 11.3b8 and not on 11.3b10 so that it "keeps alive" units still on 11.3b8

For everything else it is exactly the same from all the testing we have done.

For any machines NOT on 11.3b8 or 11.3b10 or with a failed hard disk there is a pre-installed 11.3b10 image that can be restored with WinMFS available on request.

Pawl
30-11-2017, 04:29 AM
The HNP doesn't seem to work with 11.3b8, though. (Or is it just me?)

Vuillard
30-11-2017, 07:15 AM
The HNP doesn't seem to work with 11.3b8, though.

Hmmm, I'd be interested to know the symptoms.

Pawl
30-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Hmmm, I'd be interested to know the symptoms.

Symptoms? It just doesn't work. System menu doesn't have the "show me my MAK" menu item, and info shows "Inactive" all over the place. The ticketmaster log says

Jan 02 00:01:03 ticketmaster v0.2 Starting. update=1 force=0 full_service=1 full_service_cancelled=0 issue_date=0 days_valid=30 enable_mrv=0 quiet=0 MAK=
Nov 30 01:53:23 MSG IN: dst_id=0x10, iflags=0x2, sess_id=0x10, idx=0x1b, prot_id=0x29a46, len=0x20, flags=0x1010000, prot_csum=0x68b4da, cmd=0x12340003
Nov 30 01:53:23 000: 12 34 00 03 00 02 9a 45 00 06 17 7d 00 00 00 10 .4.....E...}....
Nov 30 01:53:23 010: 01 00 00 00 0b 3X 3X 3X 3X 3X 3X 3X 3X 3X 3X 00 .....XXXXXXXXXX.
Nov 30 01:53:23 TvDbMediaAccessKey
Nov 30 01:53:23 Not updating MAK

Where "XXX" is the proper MAK, so it knows what it should be...

Vuillard
01-12-2017, 07:30 AM
System menu doesn't have the "show me my MAK" menu item

On my TiVo when I go to "Messages & Settings > Account & System Information > Media Access Key" it correctly displays the MAK. It is hard to be sure but maybe your issue is not related to version 11.3b8.

rphenix
01-12-2017, 10:06 AM
11.3b8 works just fine. The only difference between that and 11.3b10 is essentially TiVo set the units to never expire, hence why a program cleverly written called "Ticketmaster" by one of our talented software people is automatically installed and run on a machine with 11.3b8 and not on 11.3b10 so that it "keeps alive" units still on 11.3b8

For everything else it is exactly the same from all the testing we have done.

For any machines NOT on 11.3b8 or 11.3b10 or with a failed hard disk there is a pre-installed 11.3b10 image that can be restored with WinMFS available on request.

Darren just to confirm - 11.3b8 is the minimum build the software mod works with everything else should be blown away and new image restored from a truncated backup?

Pawl
01-12-2017, 10:10 AM
On my TiVo when I go to "Messages & Settings > Account & System Information > Media Access Key" it correctly displays the MAK. It is hard to be sure but maybe your issue is not related to version 11.3b8.

Maybe not. Matt Callow says on another thread that there are "time limited signed 'tickets' delivered by the mothership", and the motherboards were out of my hands for several weeks before the (Hybrid) mothership went off the air, so possibly they just expired. I really hope I can get it working again...

Vuillard
01-12-2017, 01:54 PM
I really hope I can get it working again...

Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs but what I would try is getting (1) a spare HD (easy for me to say, they seem to breed in my house) (2) a TBK with 11.3b10 on it (3) restore the TBK to the HD (4) Install in the TiVO, reboot, wait, do initial setup including inserting MAK. Worst case you have wasted a bit of time. Best case you will have your MAK working again. On the other hand, I cannot immediately see how you ever get your videos (if any) off your existing hard drive.

Pawl
01-12-2017, 05:21 PM
Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs but what I would try is getting (1) a spare HD (easy for me to say, they seem to breed in my house) (2) a TBK with 11.3b10 on it (3) restore the TBK to the HD (4) Install in the TiVO, reboot, wait, do initial setup including inserting MAK. Worst case you have wasted a bit of time. Best case you will have your MAK working again. On the other hand, I cannot immediately see how you ever get your videos (if any) off your existing hard drive.

Trouble is, there's no way of putting the MAK onto a newly installed unit. If the problem is an expired "ticket", putting 10.3b10 on there isn't going to fix it (and any backup with an existing MAK, if I had one, which I don't, would also be expired by now) -- nevertheless, I will try upgrading (not reinstalling) one of these to 11.3b10 sooner or later, just to see what happens.

Timbosaurus
01-12-2017, 08:30 PM
with a failed hard disk there is a pre-installed 11.3b10 image that can be restored with WinMFS available on request.

Hi Darren,

I thought that a "clear and delete everything" to write the TSN to a new HDD image was no longer possible without access to the TiVo server?

Or does the Tivo mothership still accept guided setups, just not guide data?

I ask because my spare TiVo has a failed HDD without a backup image (I didn't listen to your warnings about doing the swap pre-october...), so if I can bring that back to life, I would.

Phred
02-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Hi Darren,
Or does the Tivo mothership still accept guided setups, just not guide data?

Guided Setup should now be working from the Oz Mothership. So if you do a C&DE on an already patched image (Dialcode 140) it should work.

I ask because my spare TiVo has a failed HDD without a backup image

Either get an image from Darren or get a copy if winmfs (https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/mfslive-org-down.532260/#post-10796585) (note has to be run as administrator) and use it to make a truncated backup of the HDD on your working TiVo. That will be an already patched Oz image and presumably have the correct post code. Use winmfs to restore that image to new HDD (same size or larger than the HDD you backed up) for your spare TiVo (must me hardware modded). When you boot the TiVo it will complain but should eventually work. Using the .tbk I don't think you will need to do a Clear and Delete Everything, but if you do, as noted above, Guided Setup should now be working from the Oz Mothership.

Timbosaurus
02-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Guided Setup should now be working from the Oz Mothership. So if you do a C&DE on an already patched image (Dialcode 140) it should work.

Thats great news. Well done guys!

Either get an image from Darren or get a copy if winmfs (https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/mfslive-org-down.532260/#post-10796585) (note has to be run as administrator) and use it to make a truncated backup of the HDD on your working TiVo. That will be an already patched Oz image and presumably have the correct post code. Use winmfs to restore that image to new HDD (same size or larger than the HDD you backed up) for your spare TiVo (must me hardware modded). When you boot the TiVo it will complain but should eventually work. Using the .tbk I don't think you will need to do a Clear and Delete Everything, but if you do, as noted above, Guided Setup should now be working from the Oz Mothership.

Thanks for the detail!

The main tivo hasn't been PROM'd, or touched at all to be honest. It is just being used as a dumb tuner without guide, and to play the saved recordings for the kids. I was hoping to mess with the spare as practice first :)

I'll go and backup the main tivo now, copy the tkb over onto a new HDD for the spare tivo (which has been socket'd and PROM'd), patch it, boot it, and see what happens.

I just assumed it would see a mismatch with the TSN on the HDD, and without the tivo server I would not be able to clear and reset everything. But I honestly don't know how many places the TSN is stored/checked/validated, and what it takes to align them all.

Thanks,
Tim

andymoz
02-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Either get an image from Darren or get a copy if winmfs (https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/mfslive-org-down.532260/#post-10796585) (note has to be run as administrator) and use it to make a truncated backup of the HDD on your working TiVo. T

I ran winmfs on an old Windows XP machine without being administrator.Made a backup and copying drive now.
Last time I used winmfs was in 2011.Do newer versions of Windows require admin?

Phred
02-12-2017, 01:21 PM
I ran winmfs on an old Windows XP machine without being administrator.[].Do newer versions of Windows require admin?

Ahh, could very well be - my case Windows 7 and needed administrator.

Timbosaurus
03-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Ahh, could very well be - my case Windows 7 and needed administrator.

Same here on win10. I found that when run without administrator privileges, I could not detect the HDD connected via a usb-SATA adapter.

That's with winmfs version beta build 9.3g

Darren King
04-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Darren just to confirm - 11.3b8 is the minimum build the software mod works with everything else should be blown away and new image restored from a truncated backup?

Correct. 11.3b8 is the minimum.

Pawl
14-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Maybe not. Matt Callow says on another thread that there are "time limited signed 'tickets' delivered by the mothership", and the motherboards were out of my hands for several weeks before the (Hybrid) mothership went off the air, so possibly they just expired. I really hope I can get it working again...

I've solved this, so for anyone else having the same problem the solution is simple: edit /etc/rc.d/StageD_PreMfs/rc_Sequence_255.Hacks.sh; change the line that reads $TM -l /var/log/ticketmaster.log & to $TM -m -M XXX -l /var/log/ticketmaster.log & (where XXX is your MAK), and restart the TiVo. :mad:

cpab
14-12-2017, 09:06 AM
I've solved this, so for anyone else having the same problem the solution is simple: edit /etc/rc.d/StageD_PreMfs/rc_Sequence_255.Hacks.sh; change the line that reads $TM -l /var/log/ticketmaster.log & to $TM -m -M XXX -l /var/log/ticketmaster.log & (where XXX is your MAK), and restart the TiVo. :mad:

Brilliant Pawl! Could you explain to those of us that don't 'speak in tongues' or should I say - "Please explain" with guided instructions for dummies?

Pawl
14-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Brilliant Pawl! Could you explain to those of us that don't 'speak in tongues' or should I say - "Please explain" with guided instructions for dummies?

Log in to your TiVo in whatever way works (on Unix, telnet <ipaddr> or ssh root@<ip>; I don't what you do from Windows)
Type 'rw' to make the root filesystem writable
vi /etc/rc.d/StageD_PreMfs/rc.Sequence_255.Hacks.sh
Use arrow keys to put the cursor on the "-" of "$TM -l" (line 9 of the file)
Type 'i' to enter insert mode
Type '-m -M ' followed by your MAK and a space
Hit ESC, then type ':wq' to save the edited file and quit the editor (if you screwed anything up at this point you can type ':q!' to quit without saving and go back to step 3)
Optionally type 'ro' to make the filesystem read-only again
Finally, restart your TiVo and wait

andymoz
27-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Is this image small enough to be obtained via Google Drive or Dropbox?
Might be useful to play with.