PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie Problem: IR Motorolla codes

gabiwabi
21-08-2004, 02:27 PM
I have a Motorolla Sky decoder.I am trying to modify the IR codes on the Tivo.
I downloaded the Motorola DTH325-4.tcl file from Tim's site, but not knowing too much about Linux ,am having problems loading it via Pico.

Does anybody have an short script on how to change the IR code.
I also understand that only one line in the existing stb.tcl file has to be alterd to 88887 wich is the IR code for the Motorolla box.

Many thanks in advance.
Cheers

fixxer37
21-08-2004, 04:33 PM
If the .tcl doesn't just run with:
./MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl or
tivosh MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl (both commands whilst in the same dir as the file). Then try: dos2unix MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl
and try running it again.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I will have to do the same when my new tivos arrive to run in conjuction with Zenith STBs... if I find anything else has to be done, I'll update the post accordingly...

gabiwabi
21-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Fixxer,
Thanks for you prompt reply.
You will have to excuse my ignorance,but I dont have any Linux knowledge.
How do I send the Motorolla file from my Xp desctop to the Tivo, and in what directory do I place the file? Also how do I run the file? I use Putty for telnet into the Tivo.

Many thanks

fixxer37
21-08-2004, 08:38 PM
I do have better things to do at 11:40 on a Saturday night, I promise!
I suggest you google around and learn some linux basics as this will come in handy for general Tivo use in NZ - things often need changing via the operating system.

Type in the FTP client's command box: bin to go into binary mode cd /hack/guide/ (or browse to whatever dir you want to put the files into, remember only /hack (and sub dirs) are writeable, unless you've typed rw prior to ftp'ing).
You can then select files on the local directory (after browsing to it) and type put to send them to that dir on Tivo.
If you are FTP'ing from a command line, change to the directory that you are going to transfer from, run ftp.
bin
put /path/filename
Multiple File Transfer:
prompt Turns question prompt off
mput * puts all files in the current dir
prompt turns prompt on again

Use telnet to connect to tivo and run scripts as per my earlier post

gabiwabi
22-08-2004, 02:45 PM
I have uploaded the Motorola file and had to execute with the tivosh command as the "./" command did not work. When scrolling under cable/satellite options (looking for Motorola) it only has the 2 standard ones both of which do not work.

Two questions,

When I execute the file should a new option appear for Motorola under the sub heading and if not do you need to edit the rc. files to have it execute on startup? Also, where does the menu find the list of available IR codes and what file does it obtain it from?

Secondly I was viewing Tims website and downloaded the file add-stb.tcl, modified it accordingly however it will not execute at all not even with the tivosh cmd.

It would be most helpfull if you could point me in the right direction with this one.

Thanks.

fixxer37
22-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Can't help from that point on, as I haven't done this myself, but will need to in the next few days upon arrival on a test box...
All I can think of with add-stb is to run it thru dos2unix .... sowwwy
p.s. make sure you:
chmod 775 add-stb.tcl
or
chmod 755 add-stb.tcl

Marv
23-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Hey Gabiwabi,

Did you have any more luck with the Motorolla STB. I too have a Motorolla DTH325-4 and am interested in how you got on. Im just getting it running now and at present haven't sussed the IR codes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Marv

gabiwabi
24-08-2004, 03:12 AM
Hi,

Despite many hours of "trying tis and that" I had no sucsess.
I took the easy way out and phoned Sky, who swapped out my Motorola decoder for a Pace.
Worked 1st time.
Joy!!
The other advantage of the new pace is that is has s-video out, so my picture is sharper (on a projector) with less pixelisation.

Cheers.

Marv
24-08-2004, 03:38 AM
You just called Sky and told them you wanted a Pace and they said yeah cool no probs, extra charges?

Did you have to make an excuse up or anything?

Marv

gabiwabi
24-08-2004, 05:50 AM
Marv,

Yep, phone Sky customer service, and ask them to swap out the decoder, because you require s-video output.
$35 later a Pace decoder is deliverd!!

Good luck.

Can't believen your Turbocard problem.Fustrating!

SeanOffShotgun
24-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Sorry guys,

The following information will hopefully help to get your TiVo changing your Motorola STB's channels. I sorted it for myself a couple of weeks ago but have been doing other TiVo setup since, so always meant to post this but didn't - apologies.

EDIT: When going through guided set-up choose any Motorola decoder box, none work in my experience, but that doesn't matter because the instructions below will sort it all out.

I have a Motorola Sky STB and I also had problems with that MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl script - in it's current state on Timmy's website it will not work without further instruction from the authors or Timmy.

So get crazy and do what I did...

There are probably lots of ways to skin this cat (like knowing a little more TCL - which I don't), but...

To run it (at the command prompt while telnet connected to your TiVo) like...
TiVo # ./MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl

Firstly ftp Timmy's file in binary to your TiVo and edit it as below, or use my attached file.

Edits to Timmy's file:
EDIT - (do the edits on the TiVo since the file is in unix CR/LF format)

It needs the following line inserted as the first line in the file:
#!/tvbin/tivosh

Then it needs the following line inserted as the last line of the file:
motorola

But you also need to edit it to deal with an exisiting CableBoxCodeNum. I used 20001 (I don't know if that's a good choice, butt hay - it goes).

The lines I changed to do this now look like:
puts "Setting Motorola codes for TiVo 20001..."
set tivoir [db $db open /Component/Ir/TivoFormat/20001]

So you are now using an edited version of Timmy's file or my one.

Run the following (where you ftp'd the .tcl file to):
TiVo # chmod 700 MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl

then enter the TiVo shell:
TiVo # tivosh

Then at the TiVo shell run:
% mls /

Look at the output and find the FsId value corresponding to the line where Name = 'Setup'. Mine is 2274, so when I use 2274 you replace that with your value.

Then find the value of Source:
% dumpobj 2274

For me this gives:
Source = 2274/12

Take your source value and run like:
% dbset 2274/12 CableBoxCodeNum 20001

Then get out of the TiVo shell:
% exit

Yay, then run your .tcl script:
TiVo # ./MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl

REBOOT your TiVo!!! and good luck...

Sean.

PS

If I've been confusing just flame me (post a friendly query) - I've got 2 kids under 3 1/2 running around like banshees at the moment - I'll concentrate more tonight.

EDIT:

If you are having trouble running the script then maybe you didn't ftp it to your TiVo in binary mode.
You can check this by running the following command - if you have ^M at the end of every line then you didn't ftp in binary:

TiVo # cat -vet MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl

You can fix this by redoing the ftp in binary or running the following command:

TiVo # dos2unix MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl

SeanOffShotgun
24-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Marv,

Yep, phone Sky customer service, and ask them to swap out the decoder, because you require s-video output.
$35 later a Pace decoder is deliverd!!

Good luck.

Can't believen your Turbocard problem.Fustrating!

Dudes... why not use S-Video via the SCART on your Motorola? I do - Sky should supply the required cable for free.

gabiwabi
24-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Sean,

Thanks very much for the info.
Unfortunately for me, I have already swapped the decoder.

All the best,
Gabi

JECastor
02-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Great - this works just fine. Thanks!!

Pheynix
20-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Has anyone had experiance with a Motorola DTH335-4. I have tried the 325-4 codes available with no luck, and have captured my own too (currently trying different frequencies with no luck just yet!)

Ideas?

-d