PDA

View Full Version : Software needed for TCD663160

wader
31-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi, I have a TCD663160 TiVo that has had the hard drive fail. I have replaced the drive but am now in need of a copy a software image. Is anyone able to help.

Kind regards,

Skolink
05-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Just seen this now. Do you still need a copy?

ClaytonPalmer
19-05-2013, 10:57 PM
John, would you be able to provide me with a copy of this image? If so I would really appreciate it.

Skolink
01-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Sorry for the delay. Notifications of new posts don't seem to be working.
Here is a 160GB image (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1Xcr8u7MFrGdnU5SmxWZV9SMTg/edit?usp=sharing) on my Google drive
Use WinMFS

Skolink
01-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Previous post awaiting approval..lets see if this works instead
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1Xcr8u7MFrGdnU5SmxWZV9SMTg/edit?usp=sharing

Skolink
01-06-2013, 04:09 PM
I've posted a link. Hopefully post will be moderator approved soon. Otherwise PM/email me

ClaytonPalmer
06-06-2013, 11:08 PM
John, thank you for your reply June 5th, and sorry I didn't notice your previous June 1st reply. I have downloaded the file and will attempt to breath new life into my TiVo this weekend. I have bought a new 2Tb WD hard drive because my original TiVo 160Gb drive failed. I find a lot of the directions on how to replace a failed drive with a new drive confusing. This is because so many of them go into detail as to how to save the data off the failed drive and put it on the new one. It's dead in the water, so I don't know why most of the directions do this. I wouldn't be that bothered but I can't pick where the saving and restoring TV programs finished and the instructions about setting up a brand new drive with nothing on it start. I don't even know what an 'image' is but I assume it's software to set up compatibility between the drive and the TiVo. But getting this copy of the image did seem to be my next step. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and provide it for me. I will post my outcomes here in a few days.
Regards,
Rogan.

Skolink
07-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Basically you need to plug the new HDD into your computer (leaving your normal computer OS drive plugged in), and use WinMFS (in Windows) to 'restore' the image file I provided to the new HDD.
Is your new HDD a WD "Green" drive?

ClaytonPalmer
08-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Yes John, it is a Green drive. Hope that's not an issue? Specifically it's a 2Tb Western Digital W20EZRX. I'm about to do it now and I hope it's as straight forward as you say. :)

Skolink
09-06-2013, 05:41 AM
While you have it plugged into your PC you should also use wdidle3 (download it) to disable head parking. Otherwise you have to repower the TiVo each time it restarts (fairly rare, so not much of an inconvenience).

ClaytonPalmer
09-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Hi John.
I installed the image as you said and it all went well except it appears I overlooked something rather basic but truly didn't realise it. I live in Adelaide, South Australia and the image you provided is a NZ one. I never really knew what was on these images and now having seen it installed I have a much better idea. Certainly I now know that one of the things it contains is channel names and frequencies. I think that the TCD663160 might be common to both Australia and NZ, and that the differences between countries may be contained in the 'TiVo Service Number'. Note the use of the words 'might' and 'may' because I really don't know for sure and I'm feeling my way here. After installing the image (which was as easy as you said) I put it all back together and fired it up. Near the end of its boot up a message announced there was a hardware problem , and that this problem would prevent me from recording or watching TV. I was offered the opportunity to abort or continue the boot up. I continued (to see if I could get more information). It all went well and then I went to tune in the channels and no channels were detected. My aerial is OK and to cut to the chase the TiVo had a channel listing with names and frequencies that relate only to NZ. (Maori TV was a bit of a giveaway).
All in all I'm actually pretty happy even though it's not yet going because I now know the image is easy to install, and also because of the new tip you gave me regarding Widdle3 and head parking. Thanks for that too.
So now all I need is an image that works in Australia - do you have one? Since I see you live in Christchurch I suspect you don't but it makes no sense not to ask. And if you don't maybe you can suggest somewhere I might look. I have attached a snap of the data plate on the back of my TiVo in the hope it may help you to help me. It turned out a bit big but at least you can't miss it.
Again, any help (I mean more help) you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Rogan.

Skolink
10-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi Rogan,
Our TiVo came from Hobart and works fine in New Zealand, the hardware and software is identical, only configuration/setup is different. Do a "clear and delete all" and run through the 'Guided Setup' process again. You should be prompted as to which country (Australia or New Zealand) you are in, but if not see post#1 here (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?2283-Australian-TiVoHD-in-New-Zealand-works!).

It is normal for the TiVo to complain of a hardware error on first boot because the Serial/service number doesn't match, but it sorts itself out.
Cheers,
John

ClaytonPalmer
13-06-2013, 11:56 PM
Hi John,
Success! And all due to your help. I couldn't have done it without you. The reason it's taken a few days to get back to you is that I was determined to disable Intellipark. Once I had downloaded WDIdle3 I wasn't sure how to run it. A clip on Youtube directed me to the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4Win) as a way of booting from a CD and then running WDIdle3 on DOS. And after reading all about this on their website http://www.ubcd4win.com/ I noticed they listed WDIdle3 as one of the programs that is included on the boot CD they assist you to make. So I started and it was pretty easy but took time. Did it all and ended up with a boot CD that does all sorts of things I'll never understand or use, but does not include WDIdle3. And of course I didn't realise this until I had made the CD and booted up. No doubt I did something I shouldn't have, or didn't do something I should have, or .... you get the picture. But I learnt a lot. I knew what had to be done, and I knew I just needed to find a way of doing it.
Then I found "How to Create a bootable USB Memory Key" at
http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm
I followed the very well written step by step guide and the next thing I knew I'd created the bootable USB key and booted up straight into DOS. I ran the command to read the current status (and found without surprise that it was set at the default 8 seconds). Then I ran the command to disable the timer and finally I ran the read status command again, mainly to double check it was disabled but also to show off my new skills, which was pretty lame since my friends all deserted me days ago when I stayed home to do this instead of have a real life. They'll be back, I have ice cream. Shutdown, put drive back into TiVo, returned TiVo to its cabinet, fired it up, ditched the NZ channels as per your instructions, selected Australia instead of NZ, and put in my post code when asked. Auto scanned the channels and as I write this the TiVo is busy downloading the program information.
If you're ever heading to Adelaide John drop me a line ( brumero1@gmail.com )and I will take the time to show you and whoever you're travelling with some South Australian hospitality.
Thanks again,
Rogan.

ClaytonPalmer
16-06-2013, 02:07 AM
Hi Rogan,
Our TiVo came from Hobart and works fine in New Zealand, the hardware and software is identical, only configuration/setup is different. Do a "clear and delete all" and run through the 'Guided Setup' process again. You should be prompted as to which country (Australia or New Zealand) you are in, but if not see post#1 here (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?2283-Australian-TiVoHD-in-New-Zealand-works!).

It is normal for the TiVo to complain of a hardware error on first boot because the Serial/service number doesn't match, but it sorts itself out.
Cheers,
John

Hi John,
The reason it's taken a few days to get back to you is that I was determined to disable Intellipark, but was a bit in over my head. I made a boot cd that didn't work. Long story short I ended up making a 'Boot to DOS' USB stick and that enabled me to use WDIdle3 to disable Intellipark. And I learned a lot anyway so all good. I re-installed the drive, fired it up, ditched the NZ channels as per your instructions, selected Australia instead of NZ, and put in my post code when asked. Auto scanned the channels and away it went. All channels present and viewable.
However, I keep getting a warning about a hardware problem. The warning says I will not be able to record programs and will not be able to watch any recorded programs. And sure enough it's right, when I go to record it doesn't do it. I can however pause and replay live TV, so at least the memory is working in one capacity. I am re-booting it now as I write this so I'll see what happens and let you know in a later post. I just wanted you to know that everything you said has been great advice so far. Thank you for your help so far. I will post in a day or so to let yo know that outcome of the 'hardware problem'.
Rogan.

Skolink
18-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Hi Rogan,
Great to hear that you persisted and got your TiVo back up and running, despite the amount of effort required. I see your original post #13 has now been moderator approved.
I've never been to Adelaide, but expect to one day. TiVo might be a distant memory by then!
Do keep us posted with regard to the 'hardware' error.

ClaytonPalmer
18-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Hi John,
I have no idea what moderator approved means but who cares, the hardware problem has gone, as you said it would. It hung around for two days or so and I couldn't record in that time. In the end I realised it wasn't going to get bored and move on of it's own accord so I go aggressive. OK, I just went into the menus and selected delete everything. The whole set up started again and bingo, at the end of it all there was no error message. Job done. I went and bought a really good bottle of top Shiraz for you. I'll keep it for six months and if you don't show I'll have to drink it.
Thanks again,
Rogan.

Skolink
09-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi Rogan,
Thanks for the additional followup, useful when someone else has the same problem.
I'd really enjoy a Shiraz right now, now that a finally have a quite moment! Alas, I'm not going to be across the ditch for a long while yet.
Cheers,
John

Peter B
13-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Hi. I also need an image for my Tivo of the same model. (TCD663160) My problem is my expander drive has failed. Instead of replacing the expander drive I thought I would just replace the internal 1TB drive which I upgraded about 18 months ago with a 2TB drive. I tried to do the copy process with JMFS but it said I had to divorce the hard drive 1st. Put the hard dirve back in the Tivo, disconnected the Expander drive & went through the process. However after it says it will unattach the drive it reboots & the same screen comes about not finding the expander drive. It is unable to divorce the drive for some reason. Now my Tivo won't boot up & I can't copy the hard drive either. I don't care about the recordings as I have already transferred my recordings to the computer. I just need an image so I can just copy it to the new drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Skolink
14-09-2014, 07:04 PM
It's certainly best to replace the original drive with a new one, rather than add an expander, to avoid that situation.
Our 2nd TiVo has just got the Grey Screen of Death (perhaps due to being sifted back from a friends' house), so I'm going to pull the drive out and reimage it (and replace the drive if necessary).
The link to my HDD image above still works, which is what I'll be using.

Peter B
15-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I download the image but I had a few problems getting winmfs working. On an XP PC the program crashed after I selected the drive, a Win 7 PC didn't find the new drive at all, but it finally worked on another Win 7 machine. I ran the restore operation, did the supersize option & connected the drive to the Tivo. It booted up & got to the hardware error screen. Problem is I could not make any choices with my remote. A side note here is that my original Tivo remote had stopped working about a year ago but I was not using it anyway. I have a Logitech universal remote which I use. For some reason the Tivo now will not recognize the signal from this remote. So I now have what looks to be a working Tivo but no way to control it. Any ideas?

UPDATE: I thought I would try downloading the latest Logitech software & reprogramming the remote control. This time it worked!! I have now reset & cleared everything & gone through the setup wizard. I have my Tivo back with 400/800 hrs ahowing which I think is correct for a 2TB drive. Thanks again for the image Skolink. This has been driving me mental for days. Seems every step forward I came to a roadblock.
Very happy now :)

Skolink
15-09-2014, 06:28 PM
The ID of the Logitech remote might not be 0. Normally you would reset the ID of the TiVo remote to 0 or what ever the TiVo is set to, but not sure how you would do that with the Logitech.

Skolink
15-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Great to hear you have it all working! It should update itself soon, the image is a few versions old.
Just noticed WinMFS has a 'Fix divorce S3' tool, in case you ever need it in future Peter.