PDA

View Full Version : Rework my TiVo

Pelee
17-01-2012, 05:43 AM
I would like to use my TiVo using just the digital tuner to allow me to record local programming from free TV antenna signals when I am away from home. Just like a VCR but with todays tech.

Is this possible to do?

Skolink
17-01-2012, 08:50 AM
You mean set up manual recordings based on time and channel? That functionality is already built in. If you mean with no internet connection, I'm not sure if the TiVo is disabled after say two weeks with no communication to Hybrid TV's server.

Darren King
17-01-2012, 01:41 PM
John is correct. You can set up manual recordings by time/day/channel already.

In answer to the question regarding internet hookup, yes you do need to have at least one successful connection to the server every 3-4 weeks otherwise recording capability is disabled.

Pelee
19-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I don't have cable and don't really want it. I don't really want the monthly cost of TiVo either. All I want to do is record local content from my antenna while I am away for weeks at a time. I may be stuck with a TiVo subscription to do this.

Darren King
19-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Ah, you're actually on a forum for Australia and NZ where our TiVo setup is different. We don't pay for a subscription it is included in the price, and our TiVo's can only do FTA, not cable (don't ask, long story with the way our broadcasting rules set down by the Government work).

Sounds to me more like you need to ditch the TiVo and just get a basic hard disk recorder device

Pelee
24-01-2012, 05:24 AM
I knew I was on the Oz forum. Didn't realize you guys had a different setup for your TiVo's. Thanks for the replies though.

There is not much available here in Canada in the way of DVR's unless you are already a cable subscriber. I have been doing manual recordings and that may do what I want. TiVo is readily available just across the border and reasonably priced.

petestrash
25-01-2012, 12:40 PM
You don't need to go across the border you can also buy it from Best Buy in Canada, see here (http://www3.tivo.com/promo/canada.html).

Pete.