PDA

View Full Version : erm What's happening with Tivo???

Cayra
03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I was in JB today asking about getting a Tivo unit... short story no new stock for 4 months... sold out... rep quit... JB guy can't get a reply to any emails or phone calls for the last 4 months... I also see posts about no support... rumour from JBguy was that Tivo are hoping to get another company to run Tivo in Australia

soooo....

My DVD recorder died... saw Tivo at a friend's place and I'm keen.. (use IQ for foxtel) but can anyone assure me all is well???

HNorman have the 1Terrabyte unit for under $600 (without cable or wireless adapter)

petestrash
04-01-2012, 01:44 AM
I haven't spoken to anyone at hybrid for months.

I thought JB & DSE and were dropped from Distribution (despite the mytivo website showing otherwise). Only some stock remains at some of these stores.

Hybird seems to be concentrating on the various Harvey Norman brands.

As to TiVo's Future who knows?

Robbee has left hybrid and it obviously is not the big money spinner they expected, but I doubt Channel Seven would leave customers in the lurch.

There was a rumour Hybrid were waiting for new boxes based on the UK ones, but not sure if this is more then just wishful thinking.

Pete

PS some DSE stores (http://dicksmith.com.au/product/GH5712/tivo-320-high-definition-dvr) still have the 320Gb unit for $449, and likely cheaper if you haggle.

Cayra
04-01-2012, 11:33 AM
ah Thanks for that...now have to decide if Tivo or another PVR

Skolink
04-01-2012, 07:11 PM
If you know of someone coming over from New Zealand, you could get them to bring one over, as 320Gb units are NZ$299. Ironic since we got our brought over from Oz when they were NZ$920 here and AU$499 there.
They are even cheaper on Trademe (our Ebay) since Telecom are giving them away free.

Islander
04-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I have been told of new TiVos for $199.00 in NZ(320Gb).

petestrash
04-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Never thought any piece of tech would be cheaper in NZ. This must just about be a first.

Skolink
05-01-2012, 06:04 AM
I have been told of new TiVos for $199.00 in NZ(320Gb).
Yes, at Noel Leeming for a couple of days after Christmas. A family member missed out and paid 'full' price.

Chieftain
07-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Anniversary Weekend had them at Noel Leeming for $199 and Waitangi Weekend had them at $199 at Bond & Bond. Telecom still posted at $499.

healeydave
13-06-2012, 06:29 PM
There was a rumour Hybrid were waiting for new boxes based on the UK ones, but not sure if this is more then just wishful thinking.

I know this is an old'ish post, but I thought I'd comment anyway.
I would have thought this is unlikely, since the UK Virgin TiVo's are Cable only boxes, aren't the Oz TiVo's based on Digital Terrestrial?

petestrash
15-06-2012, 08:02 AM
yeah, just rumours.

From what I understand of the relationship with Hybrid and TiVo, Hybrid pay directly for any development work.

So since Hybrid are not making much from TiVo, it is unlikely that they are paying for any development work on new models for AU/NZ.

Pete.

:) al
14-11-2012, 07:12 PM
so what is the story ? are any retailers stocking tivoHD in australia anymore ?

is there a new model coming ? is tivo quitting australia. rumours are abound. what is the real story ?

I hope a new model is to come :)

petestrash
17-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Nothing much has changed, you can still buy from Harvey Norman Doymayne etc, or the mytivo.com.au website.

I can't see hybrid putting a different model on the market here.

Pete.