PDA

View Full Version : External HD?

ozzydave
16-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I bought a TiVo over the weekend and have to say its been pretty good. Does all the things I expect.
I also bought the Home networking package and TiVo Desktop plus key.

Based upon my conversations with the Harvey Norman staff, I expected that I could simply stream the video from my PC/Mac over the network to display on screen via my TiVo. This doesn't seem to be the case as the TiVo insists on copying the files from the PC/Mac to its own hard drive and running it from there.

So, given what I have read you can add an external HD via the eSata port rather than USB.

If that is the case, what HD am I able to use for external storage or can it be simply any HD I want?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave.

Darren King
17-06-2011, 04:01 PM
You can only use the certified TiVo expander hard disk.

OR

You can be brave and look into opening up the TiVo and transferring the data from the current hard disk to a new 1TB SATA hard disk and having that internal to the TiVo. There's already threads on this topic of upgrading the internal hard disk.

petestrash
18-06-2011, 10:26 AM
TiVo is not a true streamer, it does save to the local hard drive. That said it will download faster than you can watch over most wired networks.

The External hard drive is just used to allow more storage for the TiVo. You cannot use it for other media.

Peter.