PDA

View Full Version : About to buy a TiVo

KerryC
10-08-2004, 10:25 AM
I found these forums and the associated web pages for OzTiVo through the forums at Digital Broadcast Australia (http://www.dba.org.au).

I have a Topfield 5000PVRT which I adore, but of course I can only use it for digital Free-to-air.

I also have cable Foxtel (and one day might switch to digital Foxtel) and I want a hard disk recorder for that.

I had been considering a DVD-Recorder with hard disk drive, but even ignoring the price, I only want the hard disk component. I prefer to send any programs I want to keep to my PC to burn to DVD. Then I stumbled across the TiVo.

It all sounds great to me. I've emailed Eklectic Systems to get their latest price list. I'll just import a US series 1 without hard drive and install a locally bought hard disk when the TiVo arrives (as suggested in these forums). I probably won't do the PAL tuner mod, as the inputs will be Foxtel cable and the VCR (as I understand I can input programs I already have on video tape as a quick "digitise").

Does this sound fine? Any installing/programming doesn't worry me as I work on Unix systems. I've never been that big on hardware fiddling (though I can do it) which is why I'd prefer a TiVo to a HT-PC setup.

Kerry

DavidSymons
10-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi Kerry,

Welcome!

I probably won't do the PAL tuner mod, as the inputs will be Foxtel cable and the VCR

You won't be able to have both plugged in at the same time unless you get the second Audio input mod done:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howtohardware/HowToAddaSecondAudioInput

There are guys who can do it for you if you wish. Darren King is one (and is Melbourne based). He also does the tuner mods.

I understand I can input programs I already have on video tape as a quick "digitise".

I've done VCR to TiVo to VCR (to make copies) and it works well. My (somewhat fiddly) method was to set up a manual recording on the TiVo that matched the length of the program being recorded. I haven't got into TiVo to PC to DVD (yet).

Does this sound fine?

Sounds great. You haven't mentioned a network card though. If you are wanting one (a must have for TiVo to PC transfers) then get it from George as well - to save on shipping.

Any installing/programming doesn't worry me as I work on Unix systems.

Same here. I was at the same stage (considering a purchase) in March this year. Now I'm a TiVo tragic. Be warned :)

Cheers, Dave.

KerryC
10-08-2004, 12:33 PM
I probably won't do the PAL tuner mod, as the inputs will be Foxtel cable and the VCR

You won't be able to have both plugged in at the same time unless you get the second Audio input mod done:

There are guys who can do it for you if you wish. Darren King is one (and is Melbourne based). He also does the tuner mods.

Thanks for this. I hadn't picked up that fact. In that, I might as well get them both done at the same time (as I live in Melbourne, so can do a drop off and pick up).

You haven't mentioned a network card though. If you are wanting one then get it from George as well - to save on shipping.

I thought I'd get a second hard disk bracket, a spare remote (to save on shipping another one out in a year or two).

I won't get the null modem serial cable, as I can get a friend to make me up one.

Which network card should I get? I suppose the TurboNet card with installation kit, which George mentioned in his email.

Thanks for your help, David.

Kerry

DavidSymons
10-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Hi Kerry,

Which network card should I get? I suppose the TurboNet card with installation kit, which George mentioned in his email.That would be fine or you might consider the CacheCard (which George can also arrange - he just doesn't stock them). Here's some links for your own research:

http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=190

http://www.9thtee.com/tivoupgrades.htm

http://www.silicondust.com/forum

Cheers, Dave.

jamiep
10-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Hi guys,

I've been lurking around these forums for about 2 weeks now, and am seriously thinking about purchasing a TIVO in the coming weeks.

I'm in the same situation as kerry, I already own a PVR (Topfield 5kpvrt) for FTA and now i'm addicted! watching foxtel is now just dull by comparison.

One question about the US tivo ... the mod that dave mentioned only shows an extra audio input ... how do you get to video inputs into the box ... or am i missing something here?

Jamie

DavidSymons
10-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Hi Jamie,

how do you get two video inputs into the box ... or am i missing something here?The TiVo comes with two video inputs, one composite and one S-Video. Here's a picture:

http://www.eklecticsystems.com/Pix/HDRrear.jpg

The PALMOD module described here (near the end) ...

... is able to be configured so that the S-Video input is linked to one pair of audio inputs and the composite input to the other pair.

Cheers, Dave.

KerryC
10-08-2004, 02:27 PM
That would be fine or you might consider the CacheCard (which George can also arrange - he just doesn't stock them). Here's some links for your own research.

Thanks. I've done a quick scan on those links, and the three problems I see (two very minor, one ??) is:

1. Time, I'll have to wait another week if I buy from George :-)
2. Money, an extra US$30

and the only real problem:

3. It seems you need to put your hard disk in your PC first in order to install the Cachecard drivers - is this true? By the time my TiVo arrives, the only PC I'll have at home will be a Windows XP notebook with an Ethernet connection. It might be a bit difficult to install the hard disk in this :-) (I can, of course, take it all into work and do it there, but I was looking for the quick approach, ie the courier delivers it, and I have the manual read and the system up and running within a hour :-) ).

---EDITED--- Another read of the TiVo FAQs reveals that I have to install the new hard disk in a PC anyway to install the TiVo software, so installing the Cachecard drivers at the same time is a relative no-brainer - so, ignore problem 3.

----EDITED------

I see from your .sig that you have a Cachecard (to speed up the menu access, I gather). So, I guess I should get one anyway, so that I don't find myself in two months time wishing I had got one.

Kerry

jamiep
10-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Thanks david ... i figured i was missing something!

elarbee
10-08-2004, 02:52 PM
My two cents...

I was looking at getting one of the panasonic or pioneer dvr's but in thinking about it, I realised I really wanted a solution with an EPG. Everyone has told me that the dvr's don't have this feature so all recording would still have to be programmed into the dvr manually! pfft, forget that! That lead me to the net which led me to tivo which led me to oztivo :)

I've had it for a couple weeks now and lurrrve it.

I'd recommend George highly. I bought mine from him and was very impressed with the service. I considered buying one off eBay but I couldn't be assured it was working, that everything would be included and that it would be packed well enough. eksys did a great job.

I'd also recommend Darren King without hesitation. He did my pal tuner mod for me. I shipped my TiVo from Perth to him and he shipped it back. Top Man!

Have fun!

KerryC
10-08-2004, 03:08 PM
I'd recommend George highly. I bought mine from him and was very impressed with the service.

Did you get the Cachecard or the TurboNet card?

Kerry

DavidSymons
10-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Hi Kerry,

I was looking for the quick approach, ie the courier delivers it, and I have the manual read and the system up and running within a hour :-)Ahh. Addicted already I see :) .

Another read of the TiVo FAQs reveals that I have to install the new hard disk in a PC anyway to install the TiVo software, so installing the Cachecard drivers at the same time is a relative no-brainer - so, ignore problem 3.Actually, whenever I re-image (the "Play" TiVo I might add) I do it once the disk is back in the TiVo using a ZModem via a serial cable. I've described the procedure here in this thread (and I must get around to putting it up in the OzTiVo Twiki):

http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=237

I see from your .sig that you have a Cachecard (to speed up the menu access, I gather). So, I guess I should get one anyway, so that I don't find myself in two months time wishing I had got one.Yes I've got CacheCards but, as yet, haven't needed to put any memory in them (just modified my sig). The menus on our main TiVo are a little slow at times but not annoyingly so. I understand that it's a function of the amount of hard disk (120Gb in its case). Hence if I ever decide to add more disk ...

Cheers, Dave.

KerryC
10-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone, especially Dave.

I'll order the diskless series 1 US TiVo with 2nd hard disk bracket, 2nd remote (as a spare to save shipping costs if I need another one in two years time) and Cachecard, and get a friend to make me up a serial cable.

So now I'll download the image files and start looking around for hard disk drives.

Thanks all

Kerry