PDA

View Full Version : Networking coinnectivity and Recording

gsouth
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi,
I am new to Tivo and am having some intermittent issues with networking.

I can see the Tivo both by pinging the device and through the tivo desktop.
The challenge I have is that often I am losing a lot of packets (confirmed through ping), which means the desktop is extremely flakey and often disconnects on download or listing hte shows for download.

I have reviewed the network (all wired no wireless) and all appears to be ok.
I'm yet to confirm the following, however it appears that the times when it's at it's worst is when the tivo is recording.

Is this is known limitation or issue?

Cheers
GS

petestrash
03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
There is no common issue like what you describe that I know of.

Have you tried moving both the PC and TiVo (just to be sure) to different ports on your Router/Switch. I have heard similar stories that were down to a failing port on a router.

Peter.

gsouth
03-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks Peter.
I'll be doing some more troubleshooting.
I work extensively in IT and have done some rudimentary problem solving on this so far - the only common item I can see is that when the pings fail the tivo seems to be recording on both tuners.

I'll keep an eye on it and have plans ot swap out some of the networking hardware just in case.

gsouth
05-08-2010, 04:09 PM
OK - it's definitely a dual tuner issue.
Was downloading stuff today - the tivo started recording on both tuners and it dropped my connection.

Can anyone else confirm this??

Thanks

petestrash
05-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I have tested recording on both tuners and downloading and also moving files between TiVo's at the same time without any issues here.

Peter.