PDA

View Full Version : NZ TiVo Newbie? Start Here...

jaidev
05-04-2004, 06:41 AM
Start here at the NZ Tivo wiki

http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/Welcome_to_NZTivo

NOTE THAT THE RECOMMENDED PROCESS IS NOW:-

1. download the NZ images which are customised for the nztivo system.

2. install against the emulator; all relevant settings are in the nz images.

peterd
24-05-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm a newbie, thought I should start here. The links above don't appear be working?

Wondering what I need to buy in order to get Tivo up and running. I'm on Saturn Cable.

timmy
24-05-2004, 02:55 PM
sorry my domain name has gone walkabout for a while. Hoping to have it resolved very shortly. The site is still up tho...

http://216.58.174.222/tjvinfo/geek.aspx

peterd
25-05-2004, 02:16 PM

fixxer37
27-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi All,
I'm a new Tivo user in Akl. I got my Tivo this morning after following all the info on the OZtivo website, then I finally found the NZtivo website AFTER I had done all the setup.
I have been going through the HOWTO, and I have successfully removed all the OZ channels and added Sky digital. I have it controlling the sky box great etc.
BUT
I had to pull apart the add-all-Sky-channels txt and run the commands with out the shell bit as it reported unexpected end of file.
THEN
I can't run LOADGUIDE or any other shell script downloaded from NZtivo. I can't even load the slice manually, I get an error on line 20.
I did have an issue adding C4, and tried to re-run just that channel add, so perhaps this is the prob.
It still doesn't answer the problem about the shell scripts not running... any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

timmy
27-07-2004, 03:55 PM
dude u should be using the emulator not the manual setup.
Read Ed's thread on setting up the emulator. Just need to modify a couple of lines and your set, channels will be setup for you automagically.

apologies if the information isn't particularly clear.

fixxer37
28-07-2004, 06:23 AM
Yeah, I was going to do this next time round when the new hdd arrives (start from scratch). I'm really happy with what I've got so far (all the Sky channels, but no guideinfo).

So I start with the image, and then telnet in before doing anything with the oztivo guided setup...?

Cheers

fixxer37
28-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Okay, I re-ran guided setup as per Ed's instructions, worked a treat, now have guide data.
However, still can't run scripts... ? weird.
Happy for now.

Tim, I tried sending you a private message, as your email doesn't work with the .info site being down.
I would like to help out in anyway I can with the NZ efforts...

ehintz
28-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Okay, I re-ran guided setup as per Ed's instructions, worked a treat, now have guide data.
However, still can't run scripts... ? weird.
Happy for now.

Tim, I tried sending you a private message, as your email doesn't work with the .info site being down.
I would like to help out in anyway I can with the NZ efforts...Hey, do you have guide data for UKTV? I've been wanting someone to do a fresh install so I can find out if the current headend slice is working right, so it sounds like maybe you can help me out here... Also I'd be curious to know if you have the NoNag channel at 99... Thanks, and welcome to the forums.

fixxer37
28-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey,

Yes and yes. I have now done the emulator install 3 times today. And I can confirm UKTV listings, and NoNag on 99.
Once I had it all going, I decided to do it agian, replacing cables with S-Video. However, I was appalled ad the quality/oversaturation (it was grainy too) which did not go away even after the palmod.conf as per tjv.info. So I did it again with Composite from Sky to Tivo and S-video to my TV.
All is crystal!
I noticed on one of the installs, the timezoneadj30 worked fine for timezone 2113, but not this latest time. However, the clock is correct so far. I have done the Pacific/Auckland mod prior to trying it too.
Why does the timezones file have Auckland as 0800 instead of 2113?
Any help would be appreciated.
Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with..

timmy
28-07-2004, 03:31 PM
hey dude, yeah the information on my tjv.info (or my alternative domain, tjv.org.nz -ugh) is out of date. should take it down, shifted that content onto the nztivo.net wiki site. tho that site is not intended to be an endpoint for people either, more for getting people started or pointed to the right direction at least. tho haven't bothered to update those pages, nor has anyone else tho, maybe noone can be bothered either or they dont like the site or the fact that its on asp.net, oh well... if anyone wants to put on a php wiki or something else by all means..

fixxer37
28-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Tim,
I had to go through the IP version of the .info site, because (is it just me?) the emulator link on the .net site goes to a topic editor...

ehintz
29-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Ok, great news on the headend info. I've been fighting it for over a week now and at least in my case the Tivo isn't groking the new FSID for UKTV or the addition of NoNag. So it's very helpful to know that the headend at least is kosher. Now I just need to figure out the method for telling the things there's a lineup change and we should be golden (and by we I mean those of us who have been on the emulator prior to last week or so).

As for timezone, IIRC the proper setting is 0, as far as the machines are concerned we're all GMT. Regardless, if you're up and running ok, I'd go with the ain't broke don't fix it mentality...

brian
02-09-2004, 01:03 PM
An interesting little tip/trick - OK, it's only interesting because it happened to me... If your household permits, set your parental control on the Skybox to the most liberal setting. If the channel your Tivo is resting on has activated the parental control limit, the STB will be expecting the code, or a back arrow/return. When Tivo wakes up to record, the IR blaster's attempt to change the channel will fill the first three digits of the code, and you will record 30 - 60 minutes of the "Please enter password" screen. Doh!!

Another way around it might be to program a return arrow at the beginning of every change channel command, but that just seems to hard...

Brian

Wibble
02-09-2004, 03:21 PM
If you ftp'ed the files across, it could be that they got transferred as text and got the line ending screwed up. I know, it happened to me.
Just check the size of the files against the original ones.

I had to pull apart the add-all-Sky-channels txt and run the commands with out the shell bit as it reported unexpected end of file.
THEN
I can't run LOADGUIDE or any other shell script downloaded from NZtivo. I can't even load the slice manually, I get an error on line 20.
I did have an issue adding C4, and tried to re-run just that channel add, so perhaps this is the prob.
It still doesn't answer the problem about the shell scripts not running... any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

fixxer37
02-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Yeah, that was solved a month or more now... I didn't bother posting a reply on the fix in this thread, another I think. Instead I've been working on the new wiki to make it clear for other newbies in the future... thanks anyway