PDA

View Full Version : TiVo Beacon Service and my PC desktop

karlb
10-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I have recently reinstalled everything on my computer. I have been having a rather irritating issue that I have struggled to resolve.

The Issue: When I save a file to desktop, it does not appear until I refresh or press F5. It is only the desktop this happens to, and only when I save. I can create and delete an item and it appears/disappears immediately. Saving an item to desktop does not result in the item appearing immediately like it should.

Analysis: After spending 5 days trying to analyse what is causing the problem I have discovered it is Tivo Beacon Service. If I reboot with the service disabled or on manual in msconfig services.msc the problem goes away. If I restart with Tivo Service starting up automatically the problem comes back. I need tivo beacon service for my home networking package to work. I have reinstalled TiVo desktop and this has had no effect on the issue. Any suggestions?

Skolink
10-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Interesting. I had noticed that also, but just thought 'well that's Windows..' not realising it was related to TiVo beacon. I thought beacon was only loaded if you chose it as the alternative to the Bonjour service?

petestrash
11-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Not happening for me on Vista 32 bit.

Which Windows are you using?

Peter.

Skolink
12-06-2010, 06:36 AM
I'm still using XP 32bit

Skolink
21-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Actually this happens on my work PC, nothing related to TiVo. I don't know if it has ever happened on my home PC. XP 32bit SP3 at work.