PDA

View Full Version : Large hard drives that work on Series 1?

chis
08-06-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm wanting to reimage with two 500GB hard drives (Western Digital WD5000AVJB ) and the Tivo won't get past the first splash screen with either 1 or 2 installed.

Any advice on specific large hard drives that do work either singly or in pairs that do work on a Series 1 would be fantastic.

petestrash
11-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately those drives may not work in TiVo's.

It's possible that most of WD's current range may not work.

We had documented some of the models on our Prepare Disk Page (http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Install/PrepareTiVoDisk), but I have not had any reports about this particular drive though.

Have you tried with just one drive?

Peter.

chis
11-06-2010, 04:59 PM
These WD 500GBs won't work in pairs or alone, or with a Seagate 250GB that does work together with one of the WDs as a 2nd drive.

So I think these are safe to say no-go on a Tivo, and I continue my search for some bigger drives.

petestrash
11-06-2010, 05:54 PM
No worries I'll add it to the list.

Peter.

catdog
12-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Do these Western Digital drives include the intellipark feature? Or is that only for >1TB green drives?

See point 29: Where are the Western Digital "Green" drives? Weren't those recommended before?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

If it is intellipark that is causing the problem, then it is easy to disable using the instructions provided.

petestrash
12-06-2010, 09:00 AM
the Intellipark issue with TiVo HD's is not relevent here, as it only effects soft reboots. Hard reboots are fine even on TiVo HD's without intellipark disabled. It only becomes an issue after a soft reboot from the menus or after a software update.

The problem is a change made by WD to the firmware of some drives starting around Jan 2009 which made them incompatible (even the same model which worked in 2008 did not work if made in 2009), WD had promised to correct the issue by mid 2009 but never did.

I don't know which new "feature" actually causes the issue.

Peter.