PDA

View Full Version : Fast forwarding advertisements

VR_Sparks
08-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Hello All,

Pease excuse me if this question has been asked before - I couldn't find it anywhere on this forum. . .

We (family) are thinking of purchasing a Tivo. Because Tivo now has the "Freeview" logo on it, I am concerned that we will not be able to fast forward through the advertisements whilst watching a pre-recorded programme.

Could somebody please clarify this for me.

Thank you.

Skolink
09-04-2010, 05:19 AM
You can FF at full speed (60x?) through the ads, with no restrictions. Also no ad overlaid while FF either. Pete may know what the long term situation is in Oz. Here in NZ I think TVNZ has no plans to implement such restrictions, they are rather focused on video-on-demand making them money.
The '30 second skip' function cannot be enabled without replacing the PROM chip in the board (but I prefer the standard FF anyway).

petestrash
09-04-2010, 09:23 PM
All Australian "Freeview" endorsed products are limited to maximum of 30X fast forward and rewind speeds (including TiVo), this is one of the restrictions Freeview has imposed on all the manufacturers.

TiVo (and other some devices) have the ability to show a still Advertisement in a small box over the section you are fast forwarding.

At present this is only used in the US.

I'm sure TiVo would like to use it here, but don't know it would be allowed under the Freeview agreement as it partially blocks the Ad's.

Peter.