PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect time

jumbophut
22-03-2010, 07:33 PM
After making a daily call on Sunday the time on my TiVo is an hour behind the actual time.

I have tried another call today but to no avail.

Can anyone suggest a fix, please?

Timezone/daylight savings problem perhaps?

I'm running the NZ Thomson 2.5.5 software (which has been working well up until now).

catdog
23-03-2010, 05:51 AM
You need to update the file /var/hack/zoneinfo/Pacific/Auckland

It is avaiable in this thread:
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?1590-Daylight-Savings-Changes

catdog
24-03-2010, 07:06 AM
I already tried to post this, but got a response along the line of "requires moderator approval"

hopefully this time it will work :)

forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?1590-Daylight-Savings-Changes

Skolink
24-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Also see this thread (regarding how to replace the 'Auckland' timezone file)
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?2225-Daylight-savings-time-change

Pete, any chance you could put the updated Auckland timezone file on oztivo.net so that doing an 'update_oztivo -y' will automatically grab it?

petestrash
24-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Pete, any chance you could put the updated Auckland timezone file on oztivo.net so that doing an 'update_oztivo -y' will automatically grab it?

We have discouraged New Zealanders to use the update option from our servers as it will overwrite the NZ settings unless you manually add the files to the exclusion list.

Peter.

Skolink
24-03-2010, 01:30 PM
We have discouraged New Zealanders to use the update option from our servers as it will overwrite the NZ settings unless you manually add the files to the exclusion list.
Peter.

Which settings? It no longer seems to overwrite settings in oztivo.conf, so I normally use it after setting up a TiVo.

petestrash
24-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm away at the moment, but there were complaints in the past about the update making changes which caused connection issues for NZ users.

oztivo.conf was one of the files that were being overwritten. A little surprised that is not still happening. You haven't excluded it?

I'll be back home in a week.

Peter.

Skolink
25-03-2010, 09:06 AM
No I don't exclude any files. That script used to change the port from 8000 to 909000, but now does not. I still check oztivo.conf afterwards, but don't need to make any changes. I haven't noticed any connection issues.

jumbophut
25-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the assistance on this one. It is much appreciated, especially by my wife who has been painstakingly recording the programmes one hour before the ones she wants to watch!

After some fiddling I managed to get the file onto my TiVo (ppp connection over serial, then using the ftpd on the TiVo).

Unfortunately I busted my UK-NZ mains adaptor when plugging it back in next to the TV, so I'll have to wait for tomorrow and a visit to the shops to make sure everything has worked.

Tony

jumbophut
28-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately my TiVo still doesn't have the right time.

I updated the Pacific/Auckland file as suggested, after which I got the right time and programme listings for a little while. However, all my programmes from 2.00am this morning (28 March) are shown in the programme guide as being an hour late and my clock has gone forward an hour again.

I saw from the 'To do list' that this was going to happen (I didn't know the clock would go forward, but I did know the programmes were all an hour later than they should be). In an effort to fix things I: repeated the Pacific/Auckland update; cleared my programme listings; and repeated guided setup. None of this worked, unfortunately.

The problem is not in the Auckland file, which I have picked apart -- it shows the time changing on 4 April, which is right.

As far as I can see, the current setup will actually work (since both the system time and the times on the programme listings are in sync, albeit one hour ahead of actual time), but it's not quite right. Does anyone have any ideas?

Tony

Wibble
29-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Unfortunately my TiVo still doesn't have the right time.
Tony

Could you try the command from this thread and post the result.
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?2148-getting-the-right-time-on-tivo

jumbophut
29-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Could you try the command from this thread and post the result.
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?2148-getting-the-right-time-on-tivo

[TiVo [p1] ~]# /bin/ntpdate -b -v 210.48.107.133
[TiVo [p1] ~]# Time set to: Mon Mar 29 21:40:42 2010
Have a nice day.

It is actually the right time. However, when I plug the TiVo back into the TV (and with no further connection to the Internet) it tells me in system information that the time is 10.40pm.

It doesn't mention postcodes at all (possibly because I'm running 2.5.5 Thomson image?).

However:

[TiVo [p1] /hack/bin]# ./get_postalcode

And

[TiVo [p1] /hack/bin]# cat /etc/postcodezones
02124 Pacific/Auckland

So that should all be fine.

While poking around, I did notice /hack/bin/set_NZ_Timezone_DaylightSayingsPolicy (yes, with a 'y'), which contains:

dbsetx /Setup TimeZone 0
dbsetx /Setup DaylightSavingsPolicy 0

If that's being run somewhere, would it make a difference?

Skolink
29-03-2010, 08:40 PM
While poking around, I did notice /hack/bin/set_NZ_Timezone_DaylightSayingsPolicy (yes, with a 'y'), which contains:

Heh, must have been the same person that spelt 'RecieverNumDigits'. I don't seem to have that script, but then I'm running a US TiVo with the ozTiVo 1.6.2 image and updated from oztivo.net.
Also, the time on mine is correct.
If you haven't fixed it by Sunday it will probably come right,and you will have to wait another year to fix it.

If it is any help, http://IPaddress/mfs/State/LocationConfig contains
LocationConfig 2278/10 {
Version = 122
PostalCode = 02112
TimeZoneOld = 7
DaylightSavingsPolicy = 0
IndexPath = /State/LocationConfig
}

catdog
30-03-2010, 04:32 PM
[TiVo [p1] ~]# /bin/ntpdate -b -v 210.48.107.133
[TiVo [p1] ~]# Time set to: Mon Mar 29 21:40:42 2010
Have a nice day.

It doesn't mention postcodes at all (possibly because I'm running 2.5.5 Thomson image?).

From memory, ntpdate is just a symbolic link to fixtivotime on the UK2.5.5 image. The easiest solution is to replace it with the newer version used on the US image. Pete posted a version here a while back:

http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?1539-Time-an-hour-out&p=10702#post10702

However:

[TiVo [p1] /hack/bin]# ./get_postalcode

And

[TiVo [p1] /hack/bin]# cat /etc/postcodezones
02124 Pacific/Auckland

So that should all be fine.

Yep, that looks good. The blank space between 02124 and Pacific *must* be a tab (i.e. not a bunch of spaces), and there *must* be a new line character at the end of the line.

dbsetx /Setup TimeZone 0
dbsetx /Setup DaylightSavingsPolicy 0

If that's being run somewhere, would it make a difference?
Can you please check "http://IPaddress/mfs/Setup" to make sure the TimeZone and DaylightSavingsPolicy are actually in there. This is what Skolink was trying to show you, but the settings are in a different location on the UK tivo! If those two variables don't exist then you'll need to manually run "set_NZ_Timezone..." to set them. (This only needs to be done once).

Heh, must have been the same person that spelt 'RecieverNumDigits'. I don't seem to have that script, but then I'm running a US TiVo with the ozTiVo 1.6.2 image and updated from oztivo.net.I don't have that script either and I'm running a UK2.5.5 image! That spelling mistake must have been from a local addition on the latest release of the image! :D

jumbophut
01-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Can you please check "http://IPaddress/mfs/Setup" to make sure the TimeZone and DaylightSavingsPolicy are actually in there. This is what Skolink was trying to show you, but the settings are in a different location on the UK tivo! If those two variables don't exist then you'll need to manually run "set_NZ_Timezone..." to set them. (This only needs to be done once).

I checked and they weren't there. Running "set_NZ_Timezone..." as you suggested has put them in and the time now seems correct on the TiVo. The next test will be a daily call, but hopefully all is fixed now.

Thanks for all your help.