PDA

View Full Version : Fallen at the first hurdle!

Marv
06-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have tried the mailing list without success!, Ive just got the Tivo and the brand new HDD. I have dloaded the Iso image and I seem to have successfully burnt it to cd. However, after following the instructions and putting the new HDD in the PC and the freshly burnt disk in the drive I keep getting the error - 'insert system disk and enter' after the thing tries to boot from the floppy.

I have tried the new HDD in different positions and tried attaching no HDD and different combinations of disk drive and hdd to no avail.

It seems to me that I may have stuffed up the burning or the dloading of the iso image. Would that have this effect?

Also after dloading the iso do you extract the files before burning to disk or do you leave them zipped with Rar?

:confused:

Im itching to get this thing going!!!

Please help!

PS I ordered the Tivo from George - Eksys on Tuesday and it arrived here today friday morning! FAST!

Thanks in advance

Marv!

elarbee
06-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi Marv

What do you mean no success on the mailing list? Did your email not get through? or your email got through but you didn't get an answer?

If your email wasn't received by the group, then make sure it's in plain text format ( HTML emails aren't alllowed )

See if any of these help...

Make sure your jumpers on the back of the hard drive are set to Master

When you boot up your computer check your BIOS ( F12 or one of the keys will get you in ) and make sure the boot up sequence includes your CD drive. ie boot sequence : CD-ROM HDD Floppy

While Im not positive, I imagine you would have to unzip the files before creating your boot CD.

Try the mailing list again or follow the link below if you haven't seen it already

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howtoinstall/GuidedSetup30

Cheers

elarbee

Kinetic
06-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Marv

Do you have any other CDs that you could boot from as a test? eg Knoppix or a Windows XP CD..

If Knoppix (or other) CD doesn't boot either then check your BIOS setup to ensure your boot order for the computer is CDROM first then Harddisk.

If another CD works and the Oztivo ISO cd doesn't then you know the burning of the image has probably gone pear-shaped.

Make sure the hard disk and the cdrom drive are using different master/slave settings if on the same phyical connection cable, or use "cable select".

Let us here know how you go.

Marv
06-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, Im pretty sure the bios is right, I get a boot from CD prompt and then press enter and away she goes, ie CDrom lights up and whirs away for about 20 secs before giving me the Insert System disk and press enter button message.

Having nosed around a little more in the 'Hinsdale Howto' I found a link to an article specifying how you need to change a setting in Nero to burn an Iso image, im not sure that i did that, hopefully I didnt and when I get home from work I will have another go...
I think incidentally that I have the jumper setting on slave as I was trying to get the CDrom to be the master, so I will change that too.

A couple of questions:

1) What the fluck is Cable Select? and how does it work?
2) There is a New Zealand Emulator and at the start of the explanation for how to get it going it states this:

Start off with the oztivo image, get it networked, and edit the file /etc/tclient.conf thus:

# This is for the server emulator on minnie.
127::66.238.88.163:80:::

I haven't been able to find exactly how I would edit the file /etc/tclient.conf thus: !!!? Im hoping that once I get the thing going (If I get the thing going!) I will understand this better??? However any light you can shed or any links you have to learn about how to edit the files would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your time,

Marv

Kinetic
07-08-2004, 10:36 AM
I think incidentally that I have the jumper setting on slave as I was trying to get the CDrom to be the master, so I will change that too.

A couple of questions:

1) What the fluck is Cable Select? and how does it work?

Hi Marv

In my case, when I was 'preparing' the hard disk for the tivo, i did exactly the following from the GS3 document:

"Connect up your blank HD to your PC. It's preferable to only have the new TiVo disk and your CD connected. This how to assumes that your CD is on the primary master and the new TiVo disk is on the secondary master."

I made sure that no other hard disks (or any other drives at all) were connected to the PC. I had the CDROM connected on its own IDE cable as master, and the hard disk connected on its own IDE cable as master. No other drives were connected.

My PC was set to boot from CD, so it just worked OK for me. If you are using version 6+ of nero, under the 'recorder' option there is a 'burn image' option - use that to burn the ISO image to make a bootable cdrom. (I'm going from memory here as I am now on a mac at the moment - so sorry if it isnt quite right).

Cable select is a jumper setting on drives (instead of master or slave) which means it will automatically become a master or slave depending on the drives position on the IDE cable. (If the drive is at the end of the cable it will be a master, if at the middle connector on the cable it will be a slave).

In this case, best to set the hard disk and the cdrom drive both as 'masters' on different cables.

hope that helps.

Marv
07-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the help guys,

I think I have it working now, at least it showed up and i followed the mfs restore etc, I then installed the turbocard and the Harddrive.

The next step as I understand it is to (for NZ emulator):

Start off with the oztivo image, get it networked, and edit the file /etc/tclient.conf thus:

# This is for the server emulator on minnie.
127::66.238.88.163:80:::

Problem is Idon't know what program to access the tivo with, do I use a particular FTP program over the network?

I think I have the network setup properly...?

Sorry for being so dumb.

Marv

DavidSymons
07-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi Marv,

You need to use a telnet program to log into the TiVo and edit the file.

My understanding (I use Linux) is that if you're using Windows the standard telnet program isn't up to the task. Better to get hold of the freely available "putty".

Cheers, Dave.

Marv
07-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Hi Dave,

Ok sorry can you explain what a Telnet program is and , and suggest one for Windows XP, I use FlashXP for FTPing across my network, do I just need to network that to my Tivo?

Thanks for the help I sorely need it! sorry what is "putty" ???

Marv

elarbee
07-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Hi Dave,

Ok sorry can you explain what a Telnet program is and , and suggest one for Windows XP, I use FlashXP for FTPing across my network, do I just need to network that to my Tivo?

Thanks for the help I sorely need it! sorry what is "putty" ???

Marv

http://www.tucows.com/preview/195286.html

marv, putty

putty, marv ;)