PDA

View Full Version : Setup Serial PPP with WinME

spook8000
02-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi all,
I have setup serial ppp with WinXP, for access to Tivo WEB on the Tivo, and connection to net etc...and it works fine...serial cable and all.

BUT, now I want to do it under WinME, and I am having problems.
I have looked around in the forums, and can't see any how-to's on WinME/Win98 etc...
Has anyone done this, and has the null modem driver and instructions on how to install etc...??

Also, can someone explain the connect/request process for the PPP used in the current Tivo image?... ie does PPP use a password, and what is it?... I have read on other boards, that it should be Tivo,Tivo?
It may be possible to modify the standard null moedem driver, if I knew more about what the Tivo is sending/expecting back.

Cheers. Spook.

tenty
03-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Just to let you know, I have had problems under windows 98 myself, however run it fine on a Windows 2000 machine and linux. If I find a solution, I will let you know, but the steps that I tried to follow were located at:

http://black-widow000.150m.com/TiVo-PPP/

Hope this gives you a leg up and If you can get it working, I would be interested in how you did it! :)

spook8000
03-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I've been to this link, and tried the setup there.
It didnt work for me either. The driver seems to detect the connection and then hangup before the connection is established.
I think this setup is for an older version of the ppp daemon they are using in this example is an older version, and is "problematic" as noted in one of the Tivo PPP tutorials.
This is why I need to understand the one we are currently using, and see how it does its thing.
I am trying to find a comport sniffer program to see how the WinXP one is negotiated, and then work backwards to deriving the driver file for the null modem... I have already tried playing around with the driver file from the WinXP working version, and converting it for use with WinME, but it is still dropping the link at connection time.
Anyway, any input is appreciated. I may try and trackdown the guy who did the WinXP one, and see if they are able to help.

Cheers, Spook.