PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry

robinb
09-10-2009, 01:59 PM
As a 'bewildered newish user' I get the feeling that I should not live in Australia.
I was expecting a reasonably-priced networking option - and am now left on the fence hoping that there will be a price drop.
Now (more lately) I see that there is a great-looking Tivo for Blackberry application out. http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/multimedia/tivo.jsp
But guess what - it is not available to Australian users!

petestrash
10-10-2009, 04:15 AM
We all hope the HNP pricing will be dropped to a more reasonable level. It might happen, but would piss early adopters off. There have been a couple of periods when it has been on sale for $99, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some more of these soon.

As for the blackberry app, it uses an unofficial Telnet loophole in the US TiVo which was paid for by Crestron so their home Automation System could control TiVo's. There are also iPhone apps which use the same loophole.

From what I understand there are licensing issues for hybrid to include this loophole in the Australian TiVo's. But it is a much requested feature.

All I can suggest is that you contact TiVo directly about both of these issues, as this helps them gauge the level of interest in both things.

Peter.