PDA

View Full Version : NineHD & SevenHD

fitty
06-10-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm curious to know why I get no guide data for SevenHD and NineHD. I went to the web interface and there is nothing there, so on the basis that my problem is simply because none exists on the server, it begs the question why nothing exists on the server?

Is it simply an availability issue? As in, noone can get hold of the schedule to enter in? Alternatively, it occurs to me that no-one else seems to have asked the same question so it could just be me? SevenHD did have some entries (about half of each calendar day) that appeared for a while, but seems to have died off.

Curiouser and curiouser...

petestrash
06-10-2009, 09:32 PM
We only show data on 7HD & 9HD that is different to 7SD and 9SD.

It seems both these channels have recently started simulcasting 24/7, so there is no unique content for us to show.

You have not added your location to your user profile, so I do not know what area you are in.

If 7HD & 9HD are showing unique content in you area please let us know with some examples and add you location to your profile.

Peter.

fitty
08-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks Peter, at least I know now that it isnt a set up problem or something simple I'm missing. I'm in Sydney by the way. Given I havent seen any listings for either channel for a couple of months now it would make sense if they were both are simulcasting from SD.

Out of interest, is the decision not to list the data for these channels a technical one, or because of the additional effort involved maybe? I only ask to get an appreciation of what would be involved.

I'm curious about situations where people have a HD STB hooked through oztivo to a HD TV. I suppose the first question to ask is whether the tivo unit is actually passing the HD signal through to the TV. I assume not because the interface is standard RCA rather than component video or HDMI or some such other?

I can think of 2 reasons that people might prefer to watch the HD channels:

1. the picture is better - this is probably moot given that the RCA interface effectively downgrades the signal to SD anyway

2. HD has different content - probably moot again given both channels are simulcasting from SD.

I found it irritating for a while though, that when partial listings were there showing as Upcoming you cant change to the channel from the guide without tivo thinking that you want to record the upcoming show. A minor irritation I admit, you can use channel up or down as a workaround and I suppose if you know that there isnt anything else different from SD then it really doesnt matter.

petestrash
08-10-2009, 08:13 PM
After discussions within the community, we chose to emulate the TV Guides and only show programming that was not being simulcast. It was more efficient and clearer.

The HD data we provide is mostly used by people who don't own TiVo's (Windows Media Centre, Myth etc).

Series 1 TiVo's cannot pass a HD signal, HD STB's were/are used by S1 owners so that they could record the unique programming that 1HD, 7HD, and 9HD offered.

But this is not happening right now. 1HD started an SD feed, and 7&9 are simulcasting. Hopefully this will revert back in the future.

Peter.

fitty
08-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Peter. Much appreciated.