PDA

View Full Version : New antenna, now no ABC

Nevets
24-07-2009, 12:08 PM
After suffering poor reception for a year I recently treated Tivo to a new rooftop antenna. Due to where I live, the installer had to use an antenna which only receives UHF and I now no longer receive analogue ABC (which is VHF in my area).

I thought I could cunningly get around this problem by permanently tuning my spare digital STB to ABC and using it's modulator to "inject" the new signal (along with original analogue signals) into Tivo's RF input. The approached worked well for the VCR and my TV, but after many hours of fine tuning using palmod_config I have been able to get Tivo to receive a good ABC picture but really poor hissy sound. Thinking that the STB's modulator may not be compatible with the Tivo's tuner, I bought a UHF modulator but this has produced the same result.

So now I'm on to plan B: Is it possible to get Tivo (US Series 1) to use the RF input for all analogue channels except ABC, but use the composite inputs (from the STB) for ABC? Any ideas how to do this?

(If you're wondering why I don't want to get all channels from the STB, I need it to be permanently on ABC so the VCR can record ABC as well)

Steve

Skolink
24-07-2009, 05:34 PM
You could do a 'dual input' setup, selecting two sources (tuner + STB) when you do guided setup. Once you've done that, in 'channels I receive' you could select all the UHF channels form the first source (tuner), and only ABC on the second source (STB). You wouldn't need an IR blaster since you don't need to change channels on the STB.

Nevets
24-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks - I knew it must be possible. It's been a long time since I did a guided setup... It won't delete my existing recordings, will it?

Darren King
24-07-2009, 10:01 PM
So long as you follow the correct procedure no you will not lose any recordings:

http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Install/RedoGuidedSetup

On that page, near the top under point 2, you will also note the text "Redoing Guided Setup retains your old recordings"

Nevets
27-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys... as ever you have been very helpful!

:)