PDA

View Full Version : GSOD Problem

Islander
19-07-2009, 04:33 PM
I have a series 1 with GSOD (green screen of death http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/FAQ/SevereErrorGreenScreenProblem).

I can telnet into it and look at the logs, modify files, etc . By comparing the kernel log with a good Tivo it fails at the point where it runs bufferhack32a (rc.sysinit.author) however it does finish running rc.sysinit author. A ps ax dosen't show mfscheck or fsfix.

I am reluctant to prod blindly in case I loose all recordings on the disk (which is getting a bit old and probably needs replacing).

Any suggestions

Thanks in advance

petestrash
20-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Have you had a look at Howto/StopRebootLoop (http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Howto/StopRebootLoop) on our website?

Unfortunately the NZ image and AU image is not the same, so can't offer anything more specific.

Peter

Islander
20-07-2009, 10:39 PM
The tivo has Oztivo 1.6.2 image on it - not updated (NZ emulator settings)

I have run mfscheck and fsfix both returned non error type results. After these ran I rebooted with no success (GSOD again). The tivo only reboots when I tell it to and has telnet working. A ps ax dosen't show mfscheck or fix running.

Any ideas / suggestions?

petestrash
20-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Have you actually left it on the GSOD overnight to see if it fixes itself?

Peter.

Islander
21-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I have left it running with GSOD for at least 18 hours and still no joy.
The kernel log shows no reboots during this time but does have repeated messages referring to TMK_DEBUG_LEAK. These occur about every 30 mins.

I have tried to run tserver in an attempt to download programs and although it starts ok it fails when an attempt to get now showing info is made.

petestrash
21-07-2009, 05:14 PM
You may not be able to get your shows back if the drive is in a bad way.

Take a look on Dealdatabase.com for the direct extraction method where the drive is hooked up to a PC.

Also you may be able to use dd to copy the contents to a spare drive. It will retry bad sectors multiple times while copying.

Peter.

Islander
21-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I had seen the dd info and suspect that I have lost all or part of my recordings.

The next problem is to find a good drive replacement. I have tried to buy Seagate SV35 drives but they are now a discontinued item.

Don

petestrash
21-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Don't buy a WD caviar Blue drive, as the current version does not work in S1's.

It is getting harder to find deals on large IDE drives, but you can still use other Seagate, Samsung & Hitachi drives.

Peter.