PDA

View Full Version : getting the right time on tivo

Kent Lambert
23-05-2009, 10:02 AM
So I've set up my series 1 tivo on thursday and it works great but there are one or two minor problems. On the set up there is no time setting for new zealand so how does one set up the correct time for n.z.? the second thing is my tivo remote does not change the channel on my adb set top box. I have tried the three codes provided for that set top box but none seem to work any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Skolink
23-05-2009, 12:22 PM
The TiVo should set its time from the server when you run through guided setup.
You can use the command settime or settime -rtc to change the time, but it may revert back at the next daily call.

Also the TiVo remote does not change channel on the STB, the TiVo itself does. Have you got an IR blaster plugged into your TiVo?

Kent Lambert
23-05-2009, 04:42 PM
O.k. So In the guided set up it only gives options for american time zones where is the N.Z. one? And yes I have the I.R. Blaster plugged into the tivo should the emitters be pointed? at the set top box? if so I believe I did it properly but still no joy.

Skolink
23-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Use the postcodes listed in the link in my reply
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=2145

Did you select the NZ emulator on the boot-disk menu after imaging the disk?

Yes the IR blaster should be pointing at the STB, you should no longer need the remote for your STB. What is the make and model of your STB?

catdog
24-05-2009, 07:52 AM
The tivo uses the postcode number you entered during guided setup for your region to automatically set the clock, so you don't need to set it yourself. During guided setup, just select the top option for the time zone (Eastern from memory).

Assuming your tivo is connected to the web, try running the command:
/etc/ntpdate -b -v 210.48.107.133

I get a response like:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# /bin/ntpdate -b -v 210.48.107.133
oztivo ntpdate $Revision: 1.21 $
Our postcode is 02117. Found matching timezone Pacific/Auckland
Offset 43200 for timezone NZST, daylight saving is 0
Connecting to time server 210.48.107.133
Setting the local time to Sun May 24 10:44:45 2009
[TiVo [p0] ~]#

The main thing is that it finds the "Pacific/Auckland" timezone. If it cant find it, you'll need to edit /etc/postcodezones and make sure the postcode number you used in guided setup is in the list. Just add it in, with a tab seperating the number and the Pacific/Auckland part and an Enter at the end of the line.