PDA

View Full Version : Tivo HD coming to NZ?

DOlsen
05-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Saw these links

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/telecoms-it-media/2000286/TVNZ-eyes-TiVo-Report

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/3F861A4F67AB2F76CC25756F007059E6

Perhaps TivoHD will be coming in via TVNZ?

Skolink
05-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Great news, thanks for the links. That would imply it is even more likely that we will get TiVoHD in New Zealand. I presume TVNZ has reasonably strong links to FreeviewNZ, esp with regard to technical aspects of broadcasting.

Just last night my wife was complaining that she couldn't watch/record three things at once, so I had to trawl the torrent sites looking for some episodes...c'mon TiVoHD. In the mean time I might need to replace our second TiVo which I recently sold to a friend...pitty NZ$ is so low.

bigmal
06-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Be nice if TVNZ sell TiVo HD and offer SKY packages as well (similar to Telstra).
I'm getting SKY HDi tomorrow but I'd prefer an HD TiVo.

Skolink
07-03-2009, 04:07 PM
No Sky won't be packaged with TiVo - TiVoHD is only capable of receiving terrestrial broadcasts (FreeviewHD), and Sky is only broadcast via satellite.

bigmal
07-03-2009, 04:26 PM
SKY is also broadcast via cable by Telstra. Would it be possible for TVNZ to re-transmit SKY via terrestrial?

I got My SKY HDi today, it looks really nice but I miss my TiVo interface which is a million times more intuitive than SKY.

Skolink
07-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Possible technically, but unlikely to happen. Not sure how the encryption would work.

petestrash
10-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I have heard on the grapevine that TiVo hopes to have units ready for sale sometime this year.

Peter.

jaidev
16-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Over the weekend I received a C & D letter from the director of legal affairs at Tivo inc for the domain tivo.co.nz the letter demanded immediate release of the domain to Tivo Inc. The letter stated I have till 17th March to Comply.

However I do NOT own or have any affiliation with tivo.co.nz, a simple Whois lookup will verify this. I have replied to the email with words to that effect, and a paste of the Whois results for tivo.co.nz and have asked them to contact the owner.

Will wait and see...

petestrash
17-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Lawyers seem pretty stupid sometimes, but then I remember that they charge their clients for each correspondence they send and respond to.

So quite often they will take the long way round to get results, annoying everyone else in the process.

Peter.

Skolink
26-03-2009, 01:57 PM
www.mytivo.co.nz (http://www.mytivo.co.nz)
Don't forget to register your interest under the tab "I Want One" and tick the box regarding being a tester!
I note that tivo.co.nz still hasn't been released by Mr Wager

neilp
26-03-2009, 02:00 PM
This in the NBR site today.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/tvnz-confirms-tivo-deal-92585

Thursday March 26 2009 - 03:52pm

TVNZ has confirmed it is entering an $A8 million deal with TiVo, the maker of a MySky-style set-top box. A TiVo service, including pay-per-view, ondemand TV and video delivered via broadband, will go live before Christmas. But MediaWorks isn't yet onboard, and TVNZ has yet to find an ISP partner.

TVNZ Chief Executive Rick Ellis confirms that his company has bought a one-third share in Hybrid TV, the vehicle set up by the Seven network in Australia, which up until now has held the exclusive TiVo license for Australia and New Zealand.

The deal involves $A8 million ($NZ9.8 million) in cash, plus an unspecified amount of air time ("There is no opportunity cost," TVNZ's CFO noted wryling at the TiVo announcment in Auckland this afternoon. "We have a lot of inventory".)

"This is not just about us bringing TiVo to New Zealand," says Mr Ellis. "This is about us participating in an Australasian business."

bigmal
26-03-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm excited about this

7. Does TiVo NZ work with the SKY service?

No, the TiVo unit is a digital terrestrial media device, but Hybrid Television Services is open to discussions with SKY about the provision of SKY content to the TiVo device.

If they get the Sky HD Sport content I'm in!

petestrash
26-03-2009, 10:53 PM
The full press release from TiVo.

TiVo to Launch in New Zealand Later This Year

ALVISO, Calif., March 26, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- New Zealand's Largest Free-To-Air Broadcaster Partners with Seven Media Group's Hybrid TV to Offer TiVo in New Zealand
TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services and advertising solutions for digital video recorders (DVRs), today announced that the TiVo service will launch in New Zealand later this year.
Through an agreement with Seven Media Group in Australia, Television New Zealand (TVNZ), New Zealand's largest free-to-air and national broadcaster, has taken a 33% ownership stake in Hybrid Television Services, the Seven subsidiary that has TiVo rights in Australia and New Zealand. TVNZ's investment will support the launch of the TiVo service to customers throughout New Zealand - the second DVB-T standard country to begin offering TiVo.
Similar to the TiVo service available in Australia, digital Freeview channels in New Zealand will be available on broadband connected TiVo(R) DVRs. Viewers will have access to the Emmy(R) award-winning TiVo user interface, which includes internationally recognized TiVo features like SeasonPass(TM) Recordings, WishList(R) Searches and the ability to pause, rewind, fast forward, instant replay, and slow motion live and recorded TV shows.
In addition to being the largest broadcaster in New Zealand, TVNZ operates an online "catchup TV" service known as TVNZ ondemand, where viewers can access a host of popular programs via the Internet, and, like Seven Network, TVNZ is a member of its local Freeview consortium.
"TiVo's ongoing efforts to expand its global footprint through strategic alliances with international broadcasters and cable companies is taking another step forward," said Tom Rogers, president and CEO of TiVo Inc. "Our successful rollout in Australia has piqued the interest of others in the media industry across the globe and essentially provided a blueprint that outlines how the TiVo value proposition can help protect their competitive position in their own markets. We are extremely gratified to have TVNZ as a partner and are eager to have Hybrid TV begin making the TiVo service available to New Zealand's millions of free-to-air TV customers."
"The TiVo media device is a global success and our investment in Hybrid Television Services will ensure that its arrival in New Zealand supports TVNZ's transition to a digital media company," said Rick Ellis, CEO of TVNZ.
James Warburton, Chief Sales and Digital Officer for Seven Media Group commented, "TiVo had strong Christmas sales and we have been pleased with the uptake in Australia. This investment from TVNZ and their involvement on the board of Hybrid Television Services will ensure that the company is well positioned for the New Zealand launch this year."
Executives from Seven Media Group and TVNZ will sit on the board of Hybrid Television Services. Under the new structure, James Warburton, Chief Sales and Digital Officer for Seven Media group will chair the board. Rick Ellis, CEO of TVNZ, Rodney Parker, CFO of TVNZ and Bruce McWilliam, Commercial Director for Seven Media Group complete the board.

Wanted
28-03-2009, 07:43 AM
I've registered my interest at mytivo.co.nz. Great news.

tonys
29-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I wonder, with not a little concern, how TivoNZ will view or little community of illegal users? TiVo for the masses is great ,but may be at the expense of our current SKY compatability. Any views, predictions? What has been the story in Oz?

petestrash
29-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Right now, I'm not even sure if they know about us except for the fact that their lawyers found Jaidev, and not the actual owner of the site they want to claim.

There are a couple of thoughts we have had about this.

1. TiVo marketing is really clueless and are not aware of us, as they have not used us to help promote the new TiVo.

2. They are scared of us, as they don't want their boxes hacked.

Judging by all the other poor marketing decisions made here, I would say 1. is the most likely.

Peter.

Skolink
30-03-2009, 06:35 AM
I wonder, with not a little concern, how TivoNZ will view or little community of illegal users? TiVo for the masses is great ,but may be at the expense of our current SKY compatability. Any views, predictions? What has been the story in Oz?

What's illegal?
We aren't stealing any service, and we aren't hacking hardware to circumvent copyright. I can't think of any other law vaguely applicable.
Of course that might not prevent the usual might-vs-right threats and lawsuits shutting us down.
There may be some slight issue over the use of TV timetables to generate our guide data, but I don't know if TV guides would be considered copyrightable in NZ. I think Australian courts recently ruled they are not, so the IceTV EPG could continue?

NZMarke
30-03-2009, 06:41 AM
I guess the big question is whether the EPG data will include Sky channels. My understanding is that like Australia, the TiVo service here will be a one-off purchase of the TiVo box, and no monthly EPG charge. But that would not be an ideal solution if the available EPG data doesn't include EPG for Sky channels. My guess is that Sky will try not to allow its EPG to be used for the TiVo - in an attempt to protect its MySKY revenue.

On the other hand, TVNZ can choose whether to allow Sky the rights to broadcast TV1, TV2 and the FTA digital channels after the current agreement runs out. News last week was that they would allow Sky to broadcast those channels. So you'd hope that they've done a deal that requires Sky to provide EPG data .... after all, you'd still have to purchase Sky and have a decoder to actually get the programmes.

Worst scenario would be if TVNZ cannot provide Sky EPG data .. which would emasculate a lot of the TiVo's advantages when used in conjunction with a Sky box.

So fingers crossed someone in TVNZ has done their homework and organised a suitable deal.

Wanted
30-03-2009, 08:08 AM
One of the boxes on the mytivo website asks if you have Sky or any other DVR so there is atleast a chance cable will be supported but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would still most likely get a TiVo HD box if it just did FreeviewHD. Since getting HD I watch very few Saturn Analogue channels with my TiVo. I just wish they would get Prime sorted. I was told that the Saturn HD via cable will include Prime in HD but then again they seem to just keep pushing out the announcement of their service. I have held off myskyhd because they keep saying their HD service is 2 weeks away, a month away etc etc... since October last year the date has slipped and slipped. I think Telstra is loosing a lot of business because of FreeviewHD and MySkyHD.

Skolink
30-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I guess the big question is whether the EPG data will include Sky channels.
The TiVoHD has no AV inputs, so cannot be used with a Sky or any other box - it can record only terrestrial digital broadcasts received via the UHF antenna - ie "FreeviewHD" channels only. The Sky EPG would be of no use on the TiVoHD.
Perhaps Sky might start broadcasting a terrestrial digital signal, but I don't know if TiVoHD software is capable of decryption and subription to pay-TV channels.
Our Seires 1 TiVo's probably won't become redundant for a long time.

Lurker
30-03-2009, 11:47 AM
If I was to hazard a guess... and it is purely a guess.... I wonder if TVNZ has seen the slow uptake of Freeview integration into recording devices and has seen an opportunity to get into that market leveraging existing EPG data already supplied to freeview boxes into Tivo for little upfront cost.

May also have the benefit or wrestling back some of the My Sky market.

tonys
30-03-2009, 12:11 PM
What's the 'legal' position of our use of the TiVo operating software? I'd be fairly sure that if someone want it badly enough, there would be a case against us.......

petestrash
31-03-2009, 01:02 PM
If you own a Series 1 then you are entitled to use the TiVo software on it.

Peter.

NZMarke
01-04-2009, 07:06 AM
You are quite correct - this was confirmed via a query on the mytivo.co.nz website. So Series 1 keep rocking!
Bit of a shame really - it would have been a killer box if it had AV inputs.

TVNZ suggested in the response they are open to a deal with Sky for broadcasting Sky content via Terrestrial digital .. but I don't see that happening somehow! ;-)

The TiVoHD has no AV inputs, so cannot be used with a Sky or any other box - it can record only terrestrial digital broadcasts received via the UHF antenna - ie "FreeviewHD" channels only. The Sky EPG would be of no use on the TiVoHD.
Perhaps Sky might start broadcasting a terrestrial digital signal, but I don't know if TiVoHD software is capable of decryption and subription to pay-TV channels.
Our Seires 1 TiVo's probably won't become redundant for a long time.

Lurker
03-04-2009, 08:21 PM
If you own a Series 1 then you are entitled to use the TiVo software on it.

Peter.

Use... but not necessarily modify :-)

auren
05-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Just registered myself also. As MarkE says above, the new NZ TiVo service would be "newted" without Sky channels. Also Prime isn't a free view channel, and being owned by Sky, it would seem unlikely it will make it to the TiVo platform either. Naturally I hope I am wrong, and that these issues are being addressed as I post..

petestrash
28-04-2009, 03:37 AM
Australian TiVo's have had an interview made available for Download, in it they say that the TiVo sold in Australia is the same as the one which will be available in NZ, and that someone in Australia can take their TiVo to NZ or V.V.

Peter.

Skolink
28-04-2009, 06:19 AM
I guess we know how much they will cost then! If they are any cheaper in either country then thats where people will buy them (me included).

Skolink
07-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I see they finally got their domain from the squatter.
http://www.coolwhois.com/d/tivo.co.nz

Skolink
13-07-2009, 06:36 AM
As you know Sky is shutting down its UHF service: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10583747&ref=rss
This little excerpt caught my attention:
"Sky plans to hand its UHF and radio spectrum back to the Government and trade them for digital terrestrial bandwidth"
Another hint that just maybe we might get Sky on the TiVoHD.

Skolink
30-07-2009, 06:12 AM
I you haven't already, you can now register to be a Beta tester here:
Get it First: Test for TiVo (https://fieldtrials.tivo.com/signup/default.html?sid={5EE9FECD-3344-49C6-9661-6E046F7FB2B4})

petestrash
31-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Yeah registration has been open since March, you posted a link back in post #10 (http://forums.oztivo.net/showpost.php?p=14555&postcount=10).

I would have thought Alpha testing had already started.

Peter.

Skolink
31-07-2009, 06:04 AM
In march you could only register your interest in TiVoHD, a sort of 'keep me informed' type thing. Now there is an extra button beside that registration page, which takes you to much more in-depth testing related questions. Perhaps I just didn't see the extra button the first time..
I'd say anyone on the forum would be excluded anyway because most of us are 'expert' users, and as was discussed back when Australia got TiVoHD, they want dumb people representative of the general populace.

petestrash
31-07-2009, 06:23 AM
Just create another account as a Joe average user. I know someone who got in with that method ;)

Peter

Skolink
17-09-2009, 12:15 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/2874837/Telecom-to-sell-TiVo-boxes/

This can't be right
-a telco exclusively selling TiVo?
-$899 price?

I know where I'll be getting mine..across the ditch!

"Can I use a TiVo media device from Australia/USA?
No, the TiVo media device has been specifically adapted for the New Zealand market.
By December 2010, all of the current Australian TiVo devices will receive a software update that allows them to work in both countries."
http://www.telecom.co.nz/mytivo

petestrash
17-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Apart from pricing, it's good to see that at least they have teamed up with an ISP for free content from the beginning.

Movies are around 2Gb which is more than the monthly allowance for lot of people.

I wonder if you are going to be getting the same 160Gb drive as the current units have. There should be a higher capacity model released here before Christmas.

Peter.

Lurker
18-09-2009, 05:36 AM
I am not sure that was a good move for Tivo take-up here.

Imagine the potential Competition claims both from other ISPs claiming Telecom is abusing a dominant position and from the Retail chains for not being able to bring competition to the market.

Add into that the high percentage of the geek community who would be early adopters but may not be with Telecom for broadband and it is not a good look.

It would be interesting however to see if Telecom intends to "unbend" and also allow the zero data from the wholesale level of the business - that would also bring in the possibility that it's UBS customers such as Xnet may be able to offer free Tivo traffic - even if they cannot sell the box thenselves.

TerminalAddict
18-09-2009, 06:30 AM
that really really sucks !!!!!

Lurker
18-09-2009, 11:23 AM
The pricing is interesting too:

$899 for the recorder and $920 for recorder plus wi fi. No mention of the Home Networking package pricing

So AUD699 = NZD856.80
WiFi at Aus prices = NZD85.68

Add them together =NZD942.48
So on published Aus Tivo prices we get a better deal here - but only if you take the bundle of Tivo plus WiFi adapter - and probably only on launch.

Reckon we might be suffering from the old "how much does it sell for in Aussie and add 5%" :D

Skolink
19-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I seem to recall people saying thay had purchased a TiVo from places including JB HiFi (and from Pete) for AU$600, which is only NZ$750 or less.
Before December 2010 though we would need to find someone who can supply a NZ HDD image.

petestrash
19-09-2009, 06:45 PM
$699 is the RRP here. $650 is achievable almost anywhere. $600 is getting harder now. $699 or below with wireless included is also common.

When first released and Harvey Norman was the only place you could buy it, there were still deals to be had. This being due to each store operating as a franchise, so there was some discretion.

Do Telecom NZ only have company owned stores, or do they also have franchise stores?

Peter.

PS also worth noting Airmail to NZ is A$64.10 + insurance A$22.55 = A$86.55

TerminalAddict
23-09-2009, 06:47 AM
have tivonz/telecom publish prices for the media access key?

Pete: whats the deal in aus? can you install tivo desktop and "upload" stuff to the tivo? (I have a *cough* rotating collection *wink* *wink* )

Also; I read I can plug in an external esata drive to increase capacity .. confirm/deny?

Cheers
TA

Skolink
23-09-2009, 11:33 AM
have tivonz/telecom publish prices for the media access key?

No, but I have requested this information from Telecom (via their website).

Also; I read I can plug in an external esata drive to increase capacity .. confirm/deny?

If you buy the official one. Tidier and cheaper to upgrade the internal drive (might void your warranty though).

petestrash
23-09-2009, 01:07 PM

If you buy the official one. Tidier and cheaper to upgrade the internal drive (might void your warranty though).

I assume Telecom will sell the WD/TiVo branded drive. The TiVo is programmed to only work with certain eSATA drives. Until TiVo is sold in NZ we will not know if the US or AU drives will work with it. The 500Gb US drive is not allowed to work with the AU TiVo HD (but 1Tb is).

If you replace the Prom on your TiVo, you can hack the software to allow other eSATA drives to be used.

But I agree with Skolink, upgrading the internal is a better and neater option.

Pete: whats the deal in aus? can you install tivo desktop and "upload" stuff to the tivo? (I have a *cough* rotating collection *wink* *wink* )

In Aus if you buy the "Home Networking Package" you can use the TiVo as a media centre and playback your 'collection'. TiVo Desktop is not the best for this though, Streambaby is a better option.

Peter.

TerminalAddict
23-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for that .. took me all of 3 mins to get streambaby running on my debian box !

I found a pretty straight forward article on upgrading the drive. dd from one to another, then mfstools the bigger drive ... has anybody in aus tried something like the seagate 2tb?

Can't wait to try it .. I have approval for the purchase from she who must be obeyed as well :)

petestrash
23-09-2009, 11:50 PM
I found a pretty straight forward article on upgrading the drive. dd from one to another, then mfstools the bigger drive ... has anybody in aus tried something like the seagate 2tb?

Not all mfstools work correctly with TiVo HD. The easiest upgrade path is using winmfs (for windows users) or mfslive cd (both from mfslive.org (http://www.mfslive.org))which has the correct tools.

The current apple file system used by TiVo will not allow more then 1.3Gb (from memory). If the prom is hacked, and a custom kernel & file system used then 2Gb is possible.

Peter.

petestrash
24-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Just reading though the TiVo Nz Faq's (http://www.mytivo.co.nz/faq/), I have seen some things that have been added since I was there last:

Can I use a TiVo media device from Australia/USA?

No, the TiVo media device has been specifically adapted for the New Zealand market.

By December 2010, all of the current Australian TiVo devices will receive a software update that allows them to work in both countries.

So it looks like early adopters are not going to be able to use an Australian TiVo.

What if I am not a Telecom customer? What do I get?

A non-Telecom broadband customer can buy a TiVo media device and they can enjoy all features of the TiVo except the broadband content and services.

Edit: So it looks like the extra broadband content is available only to Telecom customers.

This basic service includes the 14-day on-screen TV guide (Electronic Programme Guide), the ability to view the Freeview|HD® channels and core DVR features of the TiVo media device.

NZ is going get a 14-day EPG. This was also promised in Oz but became only 7-days a few months before release. I hope NZ is too close to release for this to be changed now.

Also in the HD (http://www.mytivo.co.nz/whatistivo/tivoisfreeview/introduction/) area it says:

TiVo will receive the HD versions of TV ONE, TV2, and TV3, but please remember you need an HDMI cable (sold separately) connection between the TiVo and an HD Ready TV to receive a HD resolution picture.

This is not the case in Oz, HD signals can be watched via either Component or HDMI. I believe this is just a mistake on the website.

The website does have some details on the networking upgrade, but not price or release date. It also does not mention anywhere on the site the size of the Hard Drive or hours of recording the unit can do. Nor the availability of any expander drive.

Peter.

petestrash
25-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I received some info about the NZ launch.

"The TiVo media device will launch in NZ with at least a 160GB hard-drive which will hold approximately 120 hours of standard definition or 40 hours of high definition recordings."

So at least we know you won't be getting a smaller hard drive :), but it does hint at the possibility of a bigger one...

"Recommended Retail Prices (RRP) Price (including GST)
TiVo Media Device $899.00
Wireless Adaptor $89.00
Home Network Package $129.00

Telecom will, at launch in November, be selling a bundle of the TiVo media device and the wireless adaptor for $920 including gst.

Telecom will also offer a deferred payment option of 24 monthly payments of $30 plus an upfront initial payment of $200 (incl GST) which can be placed on your Telecom phone bill. This payment option will only be available to Telecom Broadband customers."

Most of this was known, except I don't recall anyone mentioning the price for HNP which is $129. Bought separately here it is A$199, which makes it a relative bargain in NZ. Though you can buy it for $100 if bundled with a TiVo when buying from TiVo (not retailer).

Peter.

Wanted
08-10-2009, 08:40 AM
I have to say as soon as they said Telecom only for broadband content I unsubscribed from their list and will look elsewhere. I don't have a phone line and don't want one and want to keep my superior cable internet and ISP thank you. I think the effort involved in setting up a custom box is looking better all the time with all these restrictions on features and services. Even myskyhdi is looking better than TivoHD now.

Skolink
08-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Would you really use the video-on-demand or pay-per-view feature though? I doubt I will so I don't really care that the TiVo internet traffic won't be free on my TC Cable connection. (I also have no analog 'phone line'). It will be the price of the box which might mean that I'm not queuing outside a Telecom store, but will wait till I'm next in Oz or Telecom drop their price.

catdog
08-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I have to say I agree with you Skolink - you still get guide data with other ISPs (and it shouldn't effect the home networking package either). The extra "features" like pay per view that are available to Telecom customers are things that I am unlikely to use.

I will be interesting to see what happens when you load an Australian purchased box with a NZ image :)

petestrash
08-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Wanted,

Just to clarify, you don't need a phone line or have to be with Telecom.

You do need an internet connection (from any ISP). As long as the TiVo can connect via Ethernet or the wireless adapter. This generally rules out Dial-Up, though it is technically possible to use it for guide data and not much else if you have a router.

The benefit you receive from Telecom is that that they will not be counting the usage for anything used by the TiVo. The TiVo receives it's EPG data and Software updates via the Internet as well as extra content (unsure exactly what will be available in NZ).

All the downloadable content is available from any ISP, but with Movies here ranging from 1.5Gb-3Gb on average, you may have issues with excess charges or reaching your limit if you are not with Telecom. EDIT: this is not correct. It appears at launch downloadable content will not be available to customers who are not using Telecom

The TiVo is still fine to use for it's main purpose recording FTA TV, which only uses a small amount of data for the EPG.

It's still early days for TiVo in NZ. After a period of exclusivity by Telecom the free downloads may become available from other ISP's also.

Peter.

Skolink
08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Just to clarify, you don't need a phone line or have to be with Telecom.
Peter.
Pete, our reference to the phone line is because Telstra cable is the only broadband internet option in New Zealand that does not require you to pay for a phone line also.
Even the so called 'naked DSL' plans incorporate a fee to Telecom in their charges, and are only marginally cheaper than phone+ISP charges.
I'm not sure what the situation in Australia is, but we digress..

petestrash
08-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Pete, our reference to the phone line is because Telstra cable is the only broadband internet option in New Zealand that does not require you to pay for a phone line also.

Cool, but this does not agree with Wanted's comment about his non Telecom ISP.

I don't have a phone line and don't want one and want to keep my superior cable internet and ISP thank you.

But it's not just cable I'm talking about anyway. You could use wirelessbroadband or satellite to provide the service as long as you had a router.

Peter.

TerminalAddict
09-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Pete, our reference to the phone line is because Telstra cable is the only broadband internet option in New Zealand that does not require you to pay for a phone line also....

Gah thud !! :)

Not true .. for 5 years I helped run (technically) a broadband only ISP, that did not use a phone line at all .. .that company has now turned into wired country (the company got bought out)

I still have two phone numbers in my house, and "proper" broadband, with no twisted pair copper cables from telecom coming into the house.

I will be buying a TiVoHD .. and I will be getting broadband content :D

Paul.

Wanted
12-10-2009, 05:59 AM
The benefit you receive from Telecom is that that they will not be counting the usage for anything used by the TiVo. The TiVo receives it's EPG data and Software updates via the Internet as well as extra content (unsure exactly what will be available in NZ).

All the downloadable content is available from any ISP, but with Movies here ranging from 1.5Gb-3Gb on average, you may have issues with excess charges or reaching your limit if you are not with Telecom.

Are you sure about this? I information I got said that you can use the FTA and EPG side of things but the broadband services are Telecom only. It looks to me like you can't access that content without Telecom not just the data not being charged. In my case I WOULD be getting charged because I would need to pay for the phone line with the change of ISP.

petestrash
12-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Are you sure about this? I information I got said that you can use the FTA and EPG side of things but the broadband services are Telecom only.

Your right, it looks like the game has changed.

TiVo have changed their FAQ to include:

What if I am not a Telecom customer? What do I get?

A non-Telecom broadband customer can buy a TiVo media device and they can enjoy all features of the TiVo except the broadband content and services.

I did not notice this had changed when I posted one of the earlier posts. It had originally warned that you may be charged for excessive downloads by other ISP's...

Even though TiVo will still work well as a PVR with any ISP, this is an unreasonable requirement especially if they are expecting ongoing revenue through content.

With current broadband limits in NZ I can understand why they have launched with this system. The last thing TiVo needs 1 month after launch is a backlash from customers about the extra charges or throttling from their ISP due to excessive downloads.

TiVo here did not have any downloadable content at launch, but brought it in ~6 months later.

I hope the Telecom ISP requirement for extra content is only temporary so that the TiVo is accepted as a media device in NZ.

Peter.

CheshireCat
13-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Since I don't really intend to access any downloadable content, it doesn't bother me overmuch if it is unavailable, but it seems uncompetitive if they actively block non-Telecom users from accessing it (after giving appropriate usage warnings of course). Many other ISPs can opt to zero-rate certain sites (and probably would, as otherwise they'd lose out competitively). It would also be a marketing blunder for Tivo as they would be providing a disincentive for non-Telecom customers (and of course Tivo's marketing arm have never made any mistakes in the past, have they? :rolleyes:)

I still have a vague hope that 'will not be able to access' on the website is marketing speak for 'will not be able to effectively access as it wont be zero-rated', and it will still work. I'd be interested in getting definite feedback from new NZ Tivo users with different ISPs as to how well it all works for general reference.

I've waited 6 years since leaving my Tivo in the UK to get a working Tivo here. I don't want it being crippled by anti-competitive practices on the part of Telecom.

(on a separate note, mr moderator, can we split this single monolithic thread up into separate issues?;))

Skolink
13-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I've waited 6 years since leaving my Tivo in the UK to get a working Tivo here.

You do realise that these forums are mainly dedicated to people using US Series 1 and UK TiVos in Oz and NZ? I've had a TiVo for 5 years. If you are in Christchurch I'd be more than willing to help you to "get a working TiVo". I even have a spare one at the moment.

Edit: just saw your signature on the other thread - you're in Auckalnd ;)

Lurker
13-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Pity you didn't bring your UK Tivo with you :D

They work like a charm with a little work

petestrash
14-10-2009, 05:33 PM
(on a separate note, mr moderator, can we split this single monolithic thread up into separate issues?;))

This thread is is a bit hard to break up, but feel free to start new threads on different subjects.

Peter.

CheshireCat
27-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Pity you didn't bring your UK Tivo with you :D
They work like a charm with a little work

I donated it to my mum before leaving the UK as I thought it wouldn't be possible to get it working here... now, I have just inherited my father's Tivo, but decided not to ship it out here as NZ Tivo is on its way anyways; I can give it to my sister instead, and spread the tivoly goodness...

Thanks to Skolink for the offer of help, though. I know its possible, I just don't have the time to hack as I have 2 small kids (which is why I need a TiVo - so I can pause TV and actually watch something other than Bob the ^&*%! Builder for once...)

Skolink
30-10-2009, 08:58 AM
In case anyone isn't signed up to the Telecom/TiVo New Zeland newsletter, you can get the HNP for free if you buy a TiVo before 24 January 2010 (once it launches Friday 6 Nov 2009).

Skolink
30-10-2009, 12:58 PM
"Today, in a demonstration of the TiVo interface that the New Zealand market will see, Hybrid CEO Robbee Minicola showed off a few features that the company has not yet rolled out to its Australian customers."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10606142&ref=rss

MrGadget
01-11-2009, 08:04 AM
And some video demonstrations of Tivo in action for NZ;

http://www.techday.co.nz/netguide/news/video-tivo-demonstration/6954/

CheshireCat
06-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Just spoken to the tivo salesgirl by phone...

Looks like you can only buy a NZ Tivo over the net by phone if you are a Telecom customer. Everyone else must go into a store.

The 1TB expansion box is available here for purchase now, and $300 (I forgot to make an exact note of the price)

The Tivo sale pitch and web site doesnt exactly make it clear the all the main features still work fine if you're not with telecom. Seems a bit anticompetitive if you ask me.

A bit of delving later reveals the explanation for this. The video rental/pay per view stuff in the NZ Tivo is owned and operated by Hybrid (the TivoNZ people). Therefore, they want everyone to use it as it makes them ongoing money. However, you wouldnt use it unless you have zero-rated broadband for the content download. Telecom made a deal with them to do this but only if it is only available via Telecom. Win for telcom, win for Hybrid. A bit of a lose for customers who dont intend to use the pay-content services. Hybrid just want to do everything legally possibly to ensure that people are as likely as possible to use these services, which means pushing them to get an ISP which gives zero-rating for the content.

Ive also heard annoying news that Prime and MaoriTV have refused to allow Tivo to publish guide data. Maoritv is no loss but Prime sometimes has good stuff, although I rarely see it since the listings arent available on teletext. I'm wondering if theres going to be any way to hack the tivo to take multiple guide data inputs (so someone can set up an independent feed of Prime listings)

Id be in the shop buying one now except I broke my leg last week and can't walk or drive for 6 weeks...

bigmal
06-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I've never understood why TVNZ doesn't play hard ball and refuse to let SKY use it's EPG data (like Prime is doing to them). I think they'd be an uproar if MySky users suddenly couldn't season pass TVNZ channels.

My dream is for a TiVo HD with a SKY Sports subscription added on.........but it'll never happen :-(

TerminalAddict
07-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I have one setup and running now :)

I'm pretty stoked
Can confirm, online content reports a networking error as I'm not a telecom customer

CheshireCat
08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I have mine too :)
I have posted a full review in a separate thread awaiting moderator approval.
Steve

petestrash
08-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I have approved your post, thanks for the review.

Peter.