PDA

View Full Version : Network Issue

neon_crossing
13-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Hi guys,
connected up my tivo for the first time today, got all the network cables connected but when I go through the setup and it tries to make the call it cant.
I have read through the networkinghowto etc but I really dont know how to fix it and have tested the cord and it is getting the internet ok.
Any suggestions??

PS: I know this is a pretty vague post but I'll look at any suggestions, thanks.

I have a network port 'turbonet' im pretty sure, hooked into a straight througle cat5 cable to my all in 1 modem/4 port router.

petestrash
13-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Yes it is a very vague post and you have not given us much to go on...

I guess we should start with what sort of TiVo do you have?

Is it a new TiVo HD unit, or a 2nd hand Series 1 TiVo?

If a series one, did you import it from the US/UK or has it already been setup for Australia?

Peter.

neon_crossing
13-02-2009, 12:43 AM
series 1

Sony

Already set up for australia.

I was told it didnt have a hard drive in it, so i went about going through the install guide and formatting one ready, then when I opened up the unit, found a 160gb already plugged in.

So I connected it up, went into settings and went to 'go through setup guide again' followed all the steps until i got to the part where it calls up, and wouldnt call through.

Then even more strange I got out of the setup (turned off the tivo to open it up to make sure the network cable was connected inside properly) and it was, connected it back up again then tried to get into the 'go though setup again' wizard thing but it kept putting me back to the home page, so I just went to the 'delete all settings' option and going to try again.

The tivo currently says clearing and deleting everything, this will take an hour.

neon_crossing
13-02-2009, 12:50 AM
probably even more frustrating now.

every time i try to go to 'system reset' then 'repeat guided setup' and after i plug in the three thumbs down + enter it comes up to the welcome page but if i click select or the right arrow to get into the setup it takes me back to the Tivo Central page.

neon_crossing
13-02-2009, 02:30 AM
I finally changed hard drives to my newly formatted one.
That worked.
I got through the initial setup, networking no problem.

My only problem now.

No channels come up at all.

Does it take a while to settle in?

Or should I be able to see my foxtel channels straight away?

I re-checked the foxtel connection like 5 times, I cant seem to get any tv.

thanks.

petestrash
13-02-2009, 03:08 AM
Could you please add your location to your profile, so any location specific issues are easier to track down.

When you say "No channels come up at all", do you mean"

-You have a Blue screen saying that there is no video detected
-Changing channels does not change the channels on your Foxtel box
-Everything works, but there is no program guide for any of the channels.
-Something else...

Please be as detailed as possible in your posts, it makes it easier/quicker for us to assist you.

Peter.

neon_crossing
13-02-2009, 04:38 AM
well i just went through all the checking it needed to do after the setup guide (where it says the percentage on the system information)

and the guide has come up but I cant get any channels at all just a black screen behind the guide for a bit then goes to that blue screen, I have rebooted and checked that the foxtel box is working properly by plugging it directly to the tv.

I tried to do the starup again but it kicks me back to the central menu all the time, I have no idea how to log onto tivoweb, i understand i need the IP but what exactly do I do with it? do i have to connect the tivo to the computer?

I am in adelaide, I will add to my profile, thanks.

I appreciate your help peter.

Ive been on this for 8 hours now. I think it might be time for some shut eye.

Sorry if im not too specific i am a newbie.

I think the problem could have been when I chose what inputs I had.

I have foxtel digital and that is the only box connected to it, do I need an external antenna as well? could that be the issue?

thanks...

petestrash
13-02-2009, 05:14 AM
Did you select single source or 2 sources During the setup?

When following the Foxtel setup what did you select for your input? S-VHS, composite or one of the other choices?

Are you actually using the same connection type as you had selected?

Peter.

neon_crossing
13-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I think thats where I might have stuffed up because I didnt get to see any option to choose where the foxtel was coming from.

I must have clicked the wrong source.

How can I get into the webtivo to restart it all again?

I typed my IP into my browser and it didint work (but the computer I was on was connected wirelessly to the router) should I physically connect it to the router and give it a try?

petestrash
13-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Read this (http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Install/GuidedSetup16) guide about running though the setup, and to redo the setup follow these (http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Install/RedoGuidedSetup) instructions.

Peter.

neon_crossing
13-02-2009, 05:36 PM
thanks, i'll give it a crack tonight.

neon_crossing
15-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks pete.

I had my imput set up incorrectly.

All fixed up now.

Love your forum, keep up the good work.

I have noticed watching tv is a little fuzzier now (probably because it goes through 2 cables) Foxtel - tivo - tv.

Would it look better if I used the tivo output to the tv as s-video?

Also, do you know where you can get extra series 1 brackets for hard drives if I want to install 2 together down the track?

Cheers,

petestrash
16-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Generally the picture will look better if your use S-Video from Foxtel and to the TV.

Also you may still be in maintenance mode, just reboot the TiVo so the startup screen does not say maintenance mode.

You can buy hard drive brackets from 9thtee.com for US$16 + US$33 shipping.

I probably have some spare ones, PM me if you are interested.

Peter.