PDA

View Full Version : Networking checks out OK – My Tivo hasn’t successfully called home since Monday 5 Jul

AJOS31
10-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Hi

It (he) has tried several times during the week with no success –

Last Attempt: Saturday 10 July at 7:29am
Last Status: Service unavailable

Is this to be expected with the current EPG issues etc?

I can telnet to it and ping the outside world from it, so networking seems to be OK.

But should I expect a PING response from minnie.tuhs.org [131.244.9.101]? I get a time out - from my host XP box which is connect to Optus cable directly.

Also, is is possible to force a call from the

1. Tivo GUI
2. TivoWeb
3. or # prompt?

I’ve attempted to search the FAQ and forums but can’t seem to find a concise answer

Rdgs
AJ

tenty
10-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Hi

It (he) has tried several times during the week with no success –

Last Attempt: Saturday 10 July at 7:29am
Last Status: Service unavailable

Is this to be expected with the current EPG issues etc?

Apparently Craig is having problems on the optus cable network in Sydney (I think it's sydney). In melbourne however I have no problems.

I can telnet to it and ping the outside world from it, so networking seems to be OK.

But should I expect a PING response from minnie.tuhs.org [131.244.9.101]? I get a time out - from my host XP box which is connect to Optus cable directly.

Minnie has all ping requests to her blocked. I don't know why this is, probably because of something outside of Warren's control.

Also, is is possible to force a call from the

1. Tivo GUI
2. TivoWeb
3. or # prompt?

I’ve attempted to search the FAQ and forums but can’t seem to find a concise answer

Rdgs
AJ

1. TiVo GUI - Yes ... if you are using NTSC instead of Pal mode.

2. TiVoWeb - Yes. fire up a web browser to your tivo and click "Phone" Then you can initiate a daily call from there.

3. bash prompt - Yes. There is a script that forces a daily call at:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/oztivo/2004-May/013119.html

Cheers

AJOS31
10-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi Tenty

Thank you for your reply.

I was just reading th OZTivo Digest - 'Re: [oztivo] Bad News for Optus Customers" ->

> Modify /etc/tclient.conf so that instead of pointing to minnie:80 (The
> line is 127::131.244.9.101:80:::) it reads
> 127::202.63.38.134:8000:::

Which I understand may be a [short term] workaround. Can you offer some advice here -

I went to make a backup of the .conf file before using VI to edit, and it says it’s a read only filesystem :confused: ->

[TiVo [p0] /etc]# cp tclient.conf tclient.confORG
cp: cannot create regular file `tclient.confORG': Read-only file system
[TiVo [p0] /etc]#

I haven't used Unix for years.. do I have to chgmod the /etc directory or something to allow writing?

I appreciate your help.

AJ

curto
10-07-2004, 02:26 PM
There are a couple of ways.

First once telnetted into your TIVO type

RW - this sets the file system to Read Write

When you have finished making changes type RO

Read Only.

You can set your tclient file as above - one of the OZTIVO volunteers (Legend Tim Kleingeld) Runs a redirect for you that will work fine.

Longer term Warren has released an Alpha proxy for the TIVO that i am testing to see if this resolves it

Will keep you all updated

Craig

AJOS31
10-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Thank you Craig, the Tivo connected etc following the change.

Will watch the mailing list/forums for further advice etc.

Appreciate the help..

Rdgs
AJ

curto
11-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Guys,

I have a TCL module from Tim that fixes the problem for Optus and should work for all others.

I am waitign for Tim to give th go ahead to release this in case he wants to make any changes.

In the meantime Simon Quigley has written a good HOWTO on Minnie - this will have the info on Warren and Tims fixes when they are ready to be released

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howtonetwork/BypassTransparentProxyServer

Craig