PDA

View Full Version : Complete Beginner, How do i set a Tivo up in NZ??

sillysaddam
01-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi,

Had a Tivo for a ferw years now but only just getting around to setting it up. I got it off eBay and had a 500GB (i think) hard drive put into it. When i went to plug it in it just says "Please wait a moment.." something about setting up and doesnt move from this screen.

So how do i set it up? Is this where these 'images' for NZ come into the equation?

Much apreciated,
Chris

petestrash
01-01-2009, 02:52 PM
If it is stuck on Please wait a moment, it means that the hard drive is not working correctly. check that one of the cables has not come loose during shipping.

Did you buy this off Australian eBay or US eBay?

Peter.

sillysaddam
01-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi,

Thanks. i checked the hard drive and the connections seemed fine. i metered them out and there was a voltage. When i turned it on i could hear the hard drive spinning. When you install the hard drive does it have to be formatted in some way?

Darren King
01-01-2009, 05:02 PM
No, but just like a PC the TiVo does need an operating system, and if it does not have one then the symptoms you describe is what you will see.

This is where imaging the hard disk comes into play as per your comments in the original post.

petestrash
02-01-2009, 01:27 AM
There is/was a fairly comprehensive NZ site for setting up TiVo's www.nztivo.net It also has the NZ specific images.

But this seems to still be down (it has been for a little while now)

Hopefully one of the New Zealanders will pipe in soon and offer you some suggestions.

Peter.

Wibble
02-01-2009, 09:30 AM
There is/was a fairly comprehensive NZ site for setting up TiVo's www.nztivo.net

You can still read it using the wayback machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071218123850/www.nztivo.net/index.php/Topics
http://web.archive.org/web/20071218123809/www.nztivo.net/index.php/ImageWithScreenShots1.4

The images: are at
ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_images/

If you have a Phillips, the image you want is nzTiVo-Philips-Installer-Dec06TWP.iso

You'll also have to update the timezone, see
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1638

Have fun.

Skolink
02-01-2009, 02:22 PM
I use the oztivo v1.6.2 20080604 images when setting up TiVos for NZ, I had stability issues with the NZ v1.5 images.

I assume you have read the information on preparing the disk etc on www.oztivo.net ?

The two main steps are:
1. put HDD in PC and use Oz/NZtivo boot CD to image the drive and set options.
2. put HDD back into TiVo and run through the "guided setup" to configure your TiVo

Post codes for NZ are here http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=912

Should you be visiting Chch I could give you a hand.

Islander
02-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I also use the Oztivo images in my Tivos with no problems. The only warning is that the update option should be avoided as this may mess with the emulator settings.

sillysaddam
03-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks for your help, it seems quite simple. Unfourtunatly my computer does not support IDE hard drives as it has SATA. Is there another way to install the OS onto the hard drive? Or am i up for tracking down an approiate computer?

Thanks

Skolink
03-01-2009, 10:05 AM
No, the only way currently is to use an old PC. Even some modern PCs (like my new one) with an IDE controller will not load the image properly.

catdog
03-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Where in NZ are you?

Wibble
04-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks for your help, it seems quite simple. Unfourtunatly my computer does not support IDE hard drives as it has SATA. Thanks

Are you certain it doesn't support IDE, motherboards without IDE are quite rare (unless it's a brandname of course)

Do you know the model of the motherboad?

sillysaddam
06-01-2009, 08:40 AM
I live in wellington and moving to Christchurch in a month.
Its a Dell computer and the only IDE plug i can find is for the DVD Drives. I tried to boot in various configurations with the hard drive attached to this but couldnt get it to work.

Thanks!

Darren King
06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
the only IDE plug i can find is for the DVD drives

By "drives" I am assuming plural (more than one) on the same IDE ribbon cable. In this case you need to ensure that you set the hard disk master/slave jumper setting to the opposite the still attached DVD drive is (ie if the DVD is "slave" then the hard disk must be "Master", and vice versa). These are settable jumpers usually on the rear of IDE devices in the vicinity of the IDE connector.

The other essential thing you have to do is ensure that the BIOS is set to allow booting from the still attached DVD drive. There should be a BIOS menu option for this.

Skolink
06-01-2009, 08:47 PM
If you're still stuck in a month I can help you out in Chch. I'm up in Welly weekend of the 17th, might be able to help briefly while the wife catches up with girlfriends.

sillysaddam
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
That would be excellent! Ill catch up with you in christchurch if im still stuck then. You can email me at groundzeroiraq@hotmail.com. I am going to have another gop with this tomorrow to see what i can do.
Thanks

sillysaddam
09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Finally i have been able to install the software onto the hard drive but when i put it into the tivo i still get the same loading screen as before... now what? haha

petestrash
09-01-2009, 12:26 PM
1. Have you set the drive to master again
2. Is the IDE cable attached at both ends
3. is the power cable attached at both ends
4. Did you wait at least a couple of minutes after turning it on
5. Is the drive spinning

Peter.

sillysaddam
10-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi,

I have tried all this but does not seem to work. i left it for a good 15min before turning it off and i do believe that the hard drive is spinning when the tivo is turned on.

Darren King
10-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Just to be clear: You did burn the downloaded image file to a CD, and then booted that CD in a PC with the TiVo hard disk attached and follow the installation instructions? And you did install to the TiVo hard disk and not another connected hard disk?

Or did you simply copy the downloaded file to the TiVo hard disk?

sillysaddam
11-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi,

Yes. Just booted from the CD, used it to copy the image then pluged it in. Do i have to set up the apl and networkj stuff? when i tried to do this it came up with a mounting error

petestrash
11-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Yes, work your way down the menu.

Peter.

sillysaddam
11-01-2009, 03:17 PM
When i do this i get mounting errors, could there be a problem with the hard drive its self perhaps?

Darren King
11-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Easiest way to find out is to go to the Seagate website and download the CD Bootable version of a diagnostic program called "Seatools". The CD bootable version is called "Seatools For DOS". Visit http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

Even if your hard drive is not a Seagate model it will still work and give you an idea of whether there are any failures with the hard drive.

petestrash
12-01-2009, 12:39 AM
It's a good idea to run seatools to make sure the drive is ok.

But generally mount errors during the install point to either an error in the ISO you made (bad burn or download) or a compatability issue with the IDE chipset on the mainboard you are using.

Peter.