PDA

View Full Version : Nz Tivo!!

ahoo
01-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I Want one!!! Is there anyone out there that has one for sale? or can tell me which one to get (I was thinking of buying one from ebay and try to install images etc here)..
Just to clarify one more thing, basically I want something that can record off sky digital (doesnt have to be HD or anything).. this should work right?

Wish I knew this place existed 3 years ago..

Skolink
01-09-2008, 04:07 PM
You'll be lucky to find someone willing to sell their TiVo in NZ, esp since we won't get the Series3 HD TiVo here.
Yes a series 1 TiVo will record Sky (in standard definition). If you have a Motorolla DTH335 Sky box you will need it swapped for a DTH325 or a Pace unit (small silver one).
If you are in Chch I can help you with setup.
TiVo S1 sell for US$20 or less on Ebay, but postage is about US$80. You might have to buy a remote seperately. You can get one abit cheaper on ebay if you look at the auctions which don't specifically say that they will or will not ship overseas, and message them. USPS (not UPS) Economy Air is the cheapest shipping option I know of.
Make sure you read this http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/FAQ/BeginnersFAQ#Where_Do_I_Buy_a_OzTiVo_and_Add
You won't need to modify the hardware for use with a Sky box, apart from putting in a bigger HDD if you choose to.

petestrash
02-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Also worth checking our trading forums here, trademe, & ebay.com.au (not TiVoHD) occasionally (none now).

Peter.

Wanted
02-09-2008, 05:32 AM
I have a spare TiVo I am not using. I was going to stick it on Trademe/Trade forum when I got around to it but if you are interested let me know. I'll double check the specs if you are interested but I think at is as follows:

Philips S1 (Black face)
2 head IR blaster
Remote (black)
Ethernet card
extra HDD bracket

No tuner as I always use it with my STB. Has some surface scratches but in good condition. Looking at around $250 depending on if you need a HDD for it or would rather find your own. I'm in Wellington.

edit: The unit has sold now.

TyKahu
02-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Hmmmm, a S1 Philips ... they don't come along very often and ... darn, I'm sorely tempted ... but not sure I could justify another to the "Minister of Finance" :rolleyes:

I'll keep my eye on this thread is case ...

ahoo
02-09-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm keen but will be honest I don't know much at all about tech stuff... in other words I don't know what you mean by "no tuner", can you still connect it to sky?
I'd be keen if anyone around Auckland would be selling one so can assist me with setup if possible :)

Darren King
02-09-2008, 03:18 PM
in other words I don't know what you mean by "no tuner", can you still connect it to sky?

Yes, because you will be using the Audio/Video (A/V) input to connect the Sky box to the TiVo. Therefore it does not matter if the TiVo you choose is an ex-USA model and therefore unable to receive "normal" stations via a traditional type TV antenna as the Sky box will do the receiving for you.

Of course, if you also wanted to receive TV via antenna in addition to the Sky box you can do that too, but you will either need to get an ex-USA Series 1 TiVo with a PAL tuner retrofitted, or buy an ex-UK "Thompson" TiVo that already has a PAL type tuner factory fitted, but these are much more expensive and much more rare than an ex-USA Series 1 TiVo.

Wanted
03-09-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm keen but will be honest I don't know much at all about tech stuff... in other words I don't know what you mean by "no tuner", can you still connect it to sky?
I'd be keen if anyone around Auckland would be selling one so can assist me with setup if possible :)

Just give me a private message if you decide you want to go ahead or not. Not sure if you mean tech stuff in general or just TiVo tech stuff but I recommend imaging from scratch anyway so if there is a problem or upgrade down the road you feel comfortable imaging the hard drive.

Someone local to help the first time is ideal but if you feel up to it you can try with the tutorials etc on the site with email/forum support too if you get stuck. If you can hook up the drive and a cdrom on your computer and boot from cd to image the drive you should find it quite easy from there.

David Stott
04-09-2008, 07:16 PM
"I recommend imaging from scratch anyway"

I'm also highly untechie, and I noticed your comment here. Is there a reasonably non-techie description somewhere on how to do this?

I managed to break my 5 year old Phillips 250GB Series 1 TiVo a week or so ago by attempting (badly) to swap from Port 80 to 8000, and now it simply won't do anything at all, not even pass live TV through it. Since my life effectively ceases to exist if I don't have a PVR (since I haven't watched live TV for years), I decided to get a Topfield PVR6000 ES - highly recommended, twin tuner (which i would like), etc, etc. After a a bit of playing around, I find it's total rubbish. Obviously designed by an engineer who has only ever used a VCR before. Eg, fastest fast forward speed while watching what's going past is 6 times! And rewind is only 3X!!! Imagine taking 30 seconds to skip 3 minutes of adverts. And then it doesn't rewind a bit, or even stop immediately when you lift your finger off the button. "Pause" is a joke - it takes about half a second to do so. And don't even try to ask it to record all episodes of something. When you record a program from the guide, it gives you the same options of every day, weekends, once a week etc as if you were setting up a manual timer recording and then it simply converts it to purely timebased recording. You even get invited to name the recording by laboriously choosing letters from an on screen keypad. What did the inventor think an EPG was for?

I could go on, but suffice to say, I'd rather have my TiVo back. In fact, I'd rather have a modern twin tuner version, but even the S1 knocks the socks off the "competition".

Thanks to anyone who can help.

mpnash
04-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Before imaging from scratch...

Have you tried a "Clear & Delete All" (NOTE: will delete all programs on the TiVo HD, as well as all settings, season passes, etc - i.e. it really means ALL). A month ago, I helped my bro change from port 80 -> 8000 and after digging/asking around quite a bit, found out that this was the only way to fix it (for non gurus).

We did manage to drag off the shows first (and the reloaded the good ones after) - but that's another story...

David Stott
07-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks for your suggestion. Have spent the last two days making doubly sure I've tried all the options as listed below, and yes I had done a Clear & Delete all before starting.

My earlier problem was that Guided Setup (GS) wouldn't work at all but I found an excellent post elsewhere in this forum that recommended doing a GS via my Browser rather than the TiVo menu. This got me further, but failed when it came to making an actual connection. I live in the Coromandel, have a Freeview Satellite box as input to the TiVo (running OzTiVo Version 3.0 Release 1) and I entered the following as parameters to GS:

Source: Cable (tried Satellite as well at one point)
Zip Code: Tried 02110, 02112 and 02113
Time Zone: I think not relevant but tried Hawaii and Eastern
Daylight Savings: No
Area Code: Tried 002, 007 and 009
Phone Dialling: No, but noted that Dial Prefix was set to ,#401. I'm guessing this is the code to enable internet connection instead of a phone call.

Then asking GS to proceed, it starts up on Connection, goes through "Preparing to call", "Dialling...", and starts on "Connecting..." After 16 minutes of no further action, it fails with the message "Connecting Failed. Service unavailable." and invites me to go back and change the parameters. It's as if it is trying to make an actual phone call.

I've used Putty to Telnet into tclient.conf and all ports appear to be set correctly to 8000. (NB the last time everything was working, ports were set to 80. I've tried returning to this as well and still no joy.) I also changed the Proxy Connection in Putty Configuration from 80 from 8000 and checked that it had remained set. In fact, originally I only changed this setting and that was when all hell broke loose. But changing it back hasn't helped either. (I note though that Proxy Type is set to None rather than Telnet - don't know if that's relevant.)

Rebooting (after using Browser to set PAL, thus stopping GS from running on boot up) brings up TiVo Central but I can't even watch live telly without disconnecting TiVo all together and still no joy with GS when I do rerun it. It's a real worry that I can't even see live telly. Have checked that TV is being fed in via correct cables etc.

So given that I've clearly done something stupid somewhere along the line, my best option would now seem to be (as someone said here) that I should re-image the disk, whatever that means :-).

Any help, much appreciated. The more I find out about the Topfield, the worse it gets. There are highly non-obvious ways to speed up some operations but they just get you more confused. No way could I teach my wife to use it.

TimesOwn
07-09-2008, 10:36 AM
David
Does this appear in tclient.conf?

# This is for the NZ server emulator.
#127::210.48.107.133:8000::

This is from a Thomson, however I imagine it will be applicable for your TiVo also, unless a proxy was setup on your TiVo.

It may be worth posting the contents of /etc/tclient.conf and /etc/postcodezones here.

Wibble
07-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I've used Putty to Telnet into tclient.conf and all ports appear to be set correctly to 8000. (NB the last time everything was working, ports were set to 80. I've tried returning to this as well and still no joy.) I also changed the Proxy Connection in Putty Configuration from 80 from 8000 and checked that it had remained set. In fact, originally I only changed this setting and that was when all hell broke loose. But changing it back hasn't helped either. (I note though that Proxy Type is set to None rather than Telnet - don't know if that's relevant.)

You have to use port 8000 on 210.48.107.133.
Nothing else will work.

This is from my working tivo:

In /etc/tclient.conf you should have
# This uses emuProxy2 to avoid problems with transparent proxy. Thanks Tim!
127::127.0.0.1:8000:::

In /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author you should have
emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &

Basically the line in tclient.conf points the tivo to the local (tivo) proxy.
The line in sysinit.author points the proxy to the real server.

David Stott
08-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Thankyou Wibble and Timesown for your prompt responses.

I have the 127 line as Timesown shows in tclient and it's what I always had. I note this is quite different from what Wibble shows I should have.

I cannot find the file /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author at all. Pico-ing into it brings up a blank new file.

Are these two issues a NZ difference?

NZMarke
08-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Don't know if it helps at all, but when I was recently re-imaging my TiVo, I had problems with the image I was using - which I thought was the latest. Turns out it wasn't - I was using one labelled August, and there was a more recent one labelled December.

When I tried it again with the newer image, I stopped having that problem where the call failed to connect - although I got a different problem where the downloaded data failed to import (see here : http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1892) but DJC managed to fix the data and I was away.

So might pay to check what version of the image you're using?

Cheers

Mark

David Stott
08-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks Mark. That's in fact where I came into this discussion thinking that a re-image might be the best thing to do. But I don't have a clue how to do that and was asking if there was a reasonable simple explanation of that somewhere, since I guess I wouldn't be the first to ask. Eg, you must have learned from somewhere.

From hints I've picked up, it may involve removing the disk from the TiVo, connecting it to a PC, reformatting and then copying down the latest files. Is that what it is? I'm not even sure how to tell what image I currently have but startup says I have OzTiVo 3.0, release 1.

Have just looked at the postings on the thread you refer to Mark, and wonder if my problem is that I am using Freeview Satellite? There seem to be some issues on satellites in general. In particular, where can I find what postcode and zone I should be using for the Freeview Satellite? I'm assuming there is a list of these posted somewhere.

David

catdog
09-09-2008, 05:47 AM
From hints I've picked up, it may involve removing the disk from the TiVo, connecting it to a PC, reformatting and then copying down the latest files. Is that what it is? I'm not even sure how to tell what image I currently have but startup says I have OzTiVo 3.0, release 1.

Yes, that is pretty much what you need to do.

First download the latest NZ image. Assuming you have a US Tivo (Philips), click here (ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_images/nzTiVo-Philips-Installer-Dec06TWP.iso). Burn it on to CD, put the tivo harddrive into your PC (remove other harddrives), boot from the CD and it will load up a menu. For the most part, you should be able to follow the instructions on the oztivo website (http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Install/PrepareTiVoDisk#Booting_from_the_Install_CD) to get through the different options. (I'm not sure if there are instructions explicitly for NZ as the nztivo.net website is currently down).

Put the drive back into tivo, and run through guided setup. Look here (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=959) for instructions.

In particular, where can I find what postcode and zone I should be using for the Freeview Satellite? I'm assuming there is a list of these posted somewhere.

You can find the list in the NZ section of these forums, or just click here (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=912)

David Stott
09-09-2008, 06:09 AM
CatDog, may you be in heaven 10 years before the devil knows you're gone. That's excellent thanks. I had already found the software for my Philips and the GS instructions, but not the other links.

A couple of final questions and then I'll get out of everyone's hair.

1. I see from the Time Zones link that Zip Code is 02110 for Freeview Satellite. But I'm still confused by all the posts I've read as to whether Source should be Cable or Satellite? And is Area Code irrelevant or should it be 002?

2. Is it possible that software issues are preventing me seeing live TV? It sounds more like a hardware or cable issue to me but I've both checked and tested my cable connections and am fairly sure that's not it. If this indicates I have a hardware fault then I should just get a new box (which I'd like to do anyway if it means getting twin tuners).

3. If all else fails, does anyone have any recommendations on the biggest and best TiVo money can currently buy that can be made to work in NZ (I assume by just doing the re-image)?

David

Darren King
09-09-2008, 07:13 AM
2. Is it possible that software issues are preventing me seeing live TV? It sounds more like a hardware or cable issue to me but I've both checked and tested my cable connections and am fairly sure that's not it. If this indicates I have a hardware fault then I should just get a new box (which I'd like to do anyway if it means getting twin tuners).
In most cases it is software, but if your ultimate goal is getting two boxes running for "twin tuners" then it can't hurt as then you will have a second box to do "swap and check" of parts for aiding in diagnostics.

3. If all else fails, does anyone have any recommendations on the biggest and best TiVo money can currently buy that can be made to work in NZ (I assume by just doing the re-image)?
The USA Series 1 Philips or Sony, or the UK Thompson units is it. You can't get any more modern TiVo's going. Therefore as said above if you want "twin tuners" it will mean two TiVo's. So if there does happen to be a hardware fault with your current unit (as said, usually unlikely) then you either need to buy two more TiVo's and ditch your current one, or buy another and get the current unit repaired.

catdog
09-09-2008, 09:39 AM
1. I see from the Time Zones link that Zip Code is 02110 for Freeview Satellite. But I'm still confused by all the posts I've read as to whether Source should be Cable or Satellite? And is Area Code irrelevant or should it be 002?

I *think* it should be satellite for Freeview, but I am not 100% sure. If it doesn't work try cable ;) The Area Code MUST be set to 002. It will say there are no dial in numbers for that code (or something like that), but just keep following the instructions to use the sales and marketing option.

There are other things you will need to configure as well (like daylight savings running longer than it used to), but try and get through guided setup first then come back with more questions :)

David Stott
09-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks again.

Have tried both Satellite and Cable and no joy. It fails consistently (ie with all variations of Source, Zip Code, Area Code that I have tried) after about 17 minutes. The top item on the screen goes through "1-2 minutes", "Preparing to call . . .", "Dialling . . .", and then sits on "Connecting . . ." for 16 minutes, before failing with "Failed. Service Unavailable." It never gets past that point.

Time to try a reiimage I think.

David

catdog
10-09-2008, 05:32 AM
and then sits on "Connecting . . ." for 16 minutes, before failing with "Failed. Service Unavailable." It never gets past that point.

In that case your problem has nothing to do with the postcode etc you have selected, the problem lies with tivo not being able to connect to the internet (well, specifically the emulator)

Wanted
10-09-2008, 06:34 AM
I know the thread has moved on a bit since I mentioned it but my TiVo has sold now.

David Stott
10-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Wanted - Damn, I'd forgotten that you had one for sale. Would have contacted you since I now understand that's the only way I'll get twin tuners.

Catdog - I agree and it's not cable issues as the router shows it connecting OK and I can access it via a browser.

More importantly, I've just learned more about accessing it via ftp software and have cruised the disk and found the file Wibble was talking about, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author. Can't understand why I didn't find it the first time. Finger trouble perhaps. However, here it is. I note that there is NO line starting with emuProxy2, so that may be the problem.

#### START HACKS ####

export MY_SERVER=10.0.0.1
export NFS_SERVER=$MY_SERVER
export SMB_SERVER=$MY_SERVER
#export TIME_SERVER=$MY_SERVER

#### Mount Network Shares #######

# mount NFS shares (if you have them) Change the NFS_SERVER variable above to t$
#insmod -f /lib/modules/nfs.o
#mount -t nfs -o rsize=8192,wsize=8192 ${NFS_SERVER}:/home/tivo /hack/nfs

# Mount shares on your windows boxen.
# This doesn't work too well.
# insmod -f /lib/modules/smbfs.o
# smbmount //${SMB_SERVER}/SHARE /hack/smb -s putrename -c tivo -I x.x.x.x -U u$

#### Start Programs ######

#Start dumb ntp daemon up for time syncs - Not necessary in most cases any more
# Not certain if this works in 3.0
#dumbntpd &

# CRON # Edit /hack/etc/crontab
cron &

#Start FTP daemon
tivoftpd &

# Start TiVoWeb
/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb &

# Vserver - Stream ty files on port 8074 see tivo-mplayer.sf.net
vserver > /dev/null 2>&1 &

# Start BASH on serial
shondss.sh &

# EndPad
# If you want to edit the start and end, do so in /hack/bin/runendpad.sh
/var/hack/endpadplus.tcl 5 10 -auto

##### Various Other Hacks #######

# Keep Guided Setup from bothering us
# Actually, we want GS to bother us...so comment it out
#fixup30.tcl
#fixup25.tcl

# Tweak HDD settings
# Don't worry if you don't have a two drive TiVo. It will work for 1 drive setu$
hdparm -c1 -m8 -M1 -S0 /dev/hda /dev/hdb
hdparm -m16 /dev/hda /dev/hdb

catdog
10-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Assuming you want to continue using the existing setup (as opposed to reimaging the drive from scratch), can you post the contents of your tclient.conf file here. As you are not currently running emuProxy it should contain the line
127::210.48.107.133:8000:::

(note, no # symbol in front of it!)

TimesOwn
10-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Off list we have confirmed the only listed NZ applicable / available post code / zones in postcodezones is 00800 Pacific/Auckland.
To my understanding if a zone is not listed in postcodezones then it will not be available to make a match - and use.
It seems to me that a new reference needs to be added, however I am not sure which would be the relevant one for David for STB FreeView?
Can someone please clarify if this is relevant for David's problem?

David Stott
10-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Catdog - Yes, that's what is in there. I noted the alternative 127 sentence that Wibble gave at the beginning of this:

"In /etc/tclient.conf you should have

emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &"

I have tried using his line a) instead of the standard one, and b) as well as the standard one. The good news in the former case was that the connection failed within 6 seconds instead of 16 minutes :-) I put his emuProxy line into rc.sysinit.author at the end of the file. I don't know if order is important in these files or not (the last programming language I learned was Cobol!!).

I've been trying two different pieces of software to access/copy files, SmartFTP and WinSCP. The former can see files but not copy them (probably something I'm doing wrong), and the latter can see and copy files from my Topfield but can't see the TiVo at all. So I'm not currently able to attach the tclient file here. But here is, I hope, the relevant extract using Putty and Pico:

# This is the default port, it's values come from Addr.itcl not here
#
000:
# Dennis' Emulator
#126::66.23.218.193:8000:::
# This is for the server emulator on minnie.
#127::66.92.222.38:8000:::
#127::64.151.65.200:8000:::
#127::127.0.0.1:8000:::

Note that here both 127 lines are "live" but I have tried all four combinations of hashing each out or not.

David

David Stott
10-09-2008, 03:01 PM
David - Here as you suggested is my postcodezones file:

# A list of TiVo postcodes and the timezones that they represent
# Two columns, separated by one tab only.
#
00800 Pacific/Auckland
02000 Australia/Sydney
02600 Australia/Sydney
03000 Australia/Melbourne
04000 Australia/Brisbane
05000 Australia/Adelaide
06000 Australia/Perth
07000 Australia/Hobart

Note though that this has been the same for the five years I've been happily running the TiVo. Note also that I've tried to GS using 00800 and that had no affect on the outcome.

David

TimesOwn
10-09-2008, 07:30 PM
David
I suggest adding in at least the 02110 code from http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=912 As I understand it there is no point trying a code not saved in this file. This is on the basis of using a satellite Freeview STB, which one are you using?
As has been suggested there may be other issues, which re-imaging may or may not resolve.
Can you ping 210.48.107.133 from within a putty session?

catdog
11-09-2008, 05:56 AM
"In /etc/tclient.conf you should have

emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &"

I have tried using his line a) instead of the standard one, and b) as well as the standard one. The good news in the former case was that the connection failed within 6 seconds instead of 16 minutes :-) I put his emuProxy line into rc.sysinit.author at the end of the file. I don't know if order is important in these files or not

Did you reboot the Tivo after adding the emuProxy line? rc.sysinit.author runs once when Tivo starts up, so you'll have to reboot for it to take affect. It doesn't matter where in that file you add the line. Can you also confirm that emuProxy2 is on your Tivo and actually running once you have rebooted (the command "ps aux" will show a list of processes that are running).

It is probably worth posting the contents of /var/log/tclient here after your 6 second failed attempt ( ie using 127::210.48.107.133:8000::: ), hopefully it will show where the problem is. The 15 minute attempt will be just timing out, so is probably not very useful.

Off list we have confirmed the only listed NZ applicable / available post code / zones in postcodezones is 00800 Pacific/Auckland.
To my understanding if a zone is not listed in postcodezones then it will not be available to make a match - and use.
It seems to me that a new reference needs to be added, however I am not sure which would be the relevant one for David for STB FreeView?
Can someone please clarify if this is relevant for David's problem?
This will cause the clock to be wrong after guided setup is complete, but is not related to the current issue (best to sort one problem at a time!).

David Stott
11-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Possible progress!!

David's suggestion (offline) that my ISP may be the problem may be right on the money. Working back now, and as near as I can tell, my last successful connect was on my last day with Telecom (never thought I'd have a good word to say about them). I'm now with Vodafone and proxy issues may well be why I'm failing to connect.

So that suggests that Wibble's fix re setting up 127.0.0.1 in tclient.conf and adding in the emuproxy2 call into rc.sysinit.author is also bang on the money. The only problem here is that I appear to be missing emuproxy2!! Have searched the forum (and Google) in vain and closest I come is a link to emuproxyZA. So does anyone know where I can find emuproxy2?

Also possibly crucial is the lack of the postcode in the postcodes file as posted earlier. But have tried that fix on its own (ie without proxy changes) and still failing, so that's not sufficient.

David

David Stott
11-09-2008, 06:12 AM
Catdog - our posts have crossed in the mail :-)

However, we are obviously zeroing in on the same solution. I need the right emu file before going much further.

(And yes, I have been rebooting like crazy.)

David

David Stott
11-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Right still no joy. Found emuProxy2, copied to TiVo, set GS = 1, rebooted and ran GS twice (with Satellite and Cable). Still failing in exact same place (Failed. Service unavailable.) after 6 or so seconds of Connecting... Log looks a bit long to post the lot but here are what look like relevant bits to me.

Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: Start TCD411 Request ==================
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: areaCode: 002
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: prefix: %2C%23401
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: dialInAreaCode:
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: curPhNum:
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: objVer:
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: tcdId: 002000020347DC8
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: callId: 1221088996
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: dialPrefix: %2C%23401
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: dialToneCheck: 0
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: offHookDetect: 0
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: tonePulseDial: T
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: callWaitPrefix:
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: tollFreeAuth: 1
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: callType: TS_SR_ACCEPTED
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: swVerName: 3.0-01-1-000
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: End TCD411 Request ==================
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: sigType=st=2 connector=con=1...
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: Error getting the Avalanche Disk Directories: errNmNameNotFound
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: Start Ident ==================

and

Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: End Ident ==================
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: CallService: Start err 0
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: CAM_ID not found.
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: CallStatusReporter: Phase: Dial, Status In Progress
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: CallStatusReporter: sending message "CL|30"
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: Backdoor code 4, enable calls via broadband
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: Using Ethernet. Not starting modem/pppd.
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: CallStatusReporter: Phase: Start_Auth, Status In Progress
Sep 10 23:24:13 (none) comm[113]: CallStatusReporter: sending message "ST|33"
Sep 10 23:24:14 (none) comm[113]: CommUtil: connection to host 127.0.0.1, port 8000, err 0x50005
Sep 10 23:24:14 (none) comm[113]: tmk tcp connect failed, reason = Operation now in progress
Sep 10 23:24:14 (none) comm[113]: drainGetPostQ: doXfer failed err=327685 (0x50005)
Sep 10 23:24:14 (none) comm[113]: NetAgent: drainPostQ failed, err = 0x50005
Sep 10 23:24:14 (none) comm[113]: CallService: NetAgent Process err 327685
Sep 10 23:24:14 (none) comm[113]: CallService: NetAgent failed, status 0x50005
Sep 10 23:24:14 (none) comm[113]: CallService: EndCall start
Sep 10 23:24:16 (none) comm[113]: CallStatusReporter: Turning off-hook LED off
Sep 10 23:24:16 (none) comm[113]: Recover private logs
Sep 10 23:24:16 (none) comm[113]: Opening old private log files
Sep 10 23:24:16 (none) comm[113]: Reverting private logs
Sep 10 23:24:16 (none) tcphonehome[113]: CallService return status 0x50005
Sep 10 23:24:21 (none) comm[113]: CallStatusReporter: Phase: Start_Auth, Status Failed
Sep 10 23:24:21 (none) comm[113]: CallStatusReporter: sending message "EX|14"
Sep 10 23:24:21 (none) tcphonehome[113]: TClient failed: EX|14
Sep 10 23:24:21 (none) tcphonehome[113]: Sending dialup event, subtype 8, msg EX|14
Sep 10 23:24:21 (none) tcphonehome[113]: setCallStatus called with: Failed state 0
Sep 10 23:24:29 (none) tcphonehome[113]: LastCallAttempt at 1221088996
Sep 10 23:24:29 (none) tcphonehome[113]: setting call status to: Failed
Sep 10 23:24:29 (none) tcphonehome[113]: setting call in progress to 0 (second successCount)
Sep 10 23:24:29 (none) tcphonehome[113]: Setting callActive to 0
Sep 10 23:24:30 (none) comm[113]: CallStatusReporter: sending data changed event 20
Sep 10 23:24:30 (none) tcphonehome[113]: destroying CommGlobals!
Sep 10 23:24:30 (none) tcphonehome[113]: pCommMempool empty
Sep 10 23:24:30 (none) tcphonehome[113]: Setting MCP PhoneHome action: ENABLED

David

Wibble
11-09-2008, 11:24 AM
BTW, which version are you using?
This is what I get
cat /etc/oztivo_version
1.5-20051128 (NZ-TWP-20060815)

Unless you have already fixed it, you have 127 configured twice:
both
and

See:
# This is the default port, it's values come from Addr.itcl not here
#
000:
# Dennis' Emulator
#126::66.23.218.193:8000:::
# This is for the server emulator on minnie.
#127::66.92.222.38:8000:::
#127::64.151.65.200:8000:::

David Stott
11-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Wibble, that copy I posted earlier had both configured (as I pointed out). I've hashed out the first occurence so that all that is left operational is the code you gave me. This is the only option where it fails straight away instead of waiting 16 minutes to time out. Ie if 127::210.48.107.133:8000::: occurs first or only, then I end up with a 16 minute wait before failure. If 127::127.0.0.1:8000::: occurs as the only operational line, then the connection fails straight away.

I suspect my version is (from the log): swVerName: 3.0-01-1-000. Probably a very good reason for re-imaging in itself!

One thing I wasn't sure of from your earlier posting was whether the line in rc.sysinit.author should be preceded by the directory location or not, eg /hack/bin/emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &. I have tried running the GS with this as shown here and also as shown in your original post without the directory prefix. Neither worked. Sigh!

My hope now is that someone will recognise the errors in the log below and intuit the real problem from those. In order (because the first is likely to cause the later ones):

1. What are the Avalanche Disk Directories?

2. What might cause CAM_ID to not be found?

3. What is an "err 0x50005"?

David

Wibble
11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I suspect my version is (from the log): swVerName: 3.0-01-1-000. Probably a very good reason for re-imaging in itself!

That version is the same as mine, it won't change. That's not the version to look at.

Your current problem is that you are pointing to the emuproxy but it's not working.

Here my log:

Sep 10 23:21:52 (none) comm[153]: End Ident ==================
Sep 10 23:21:52 (none) comm[153]: CallService: Start err 0
Sep 10 23:21:52 (none) comm[153]: CAM_ID not found.
Sep 10 23:21:52 (none) comm[153]: CallStatusReporter: Phase: Dial, Status In Progress
Sep 10 23:21:52 (none) comm[153]: CallStatusReporter: sending message "CL|30"
Sep 10 23:21:52 (none) comm[153]: Backdoor code 4, enable calls via broadband
Sep 10 23:21:52 (none) comm[153]: Using Ethernet. Not starting modem/pppd.
Sep 10 23:21:52 (none) comm[153]: CallStatusReporter: Phase: Start_Auth, Status In Progress
Sep 10 23:21:52 (none) comm[153]: CallStatusReporter: sending message "ST|33"
Sep 10 23:21:52 (none) comm[153]: CommUtil: connection to host 127.0.0.1, port 8000, err 0x0
Sep 10 23:21:52 (none) comm[153]: Uploading HTTP Header for modLog of /var/log/svclog: POST /tivo-service/mlog.cgi HTTP/1.0^M Content-Length: 929^M ^M
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: read HTTP Header: HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:21:56 GMT^M Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Mandriva Linux/PREFORK-13.3.20060mdk) mod_
ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7g PHP/5.0.4 mod_perl/2.0.1 Perl/v5.8.7^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/plain; charset=IS
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: O-8859-1
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: SvcLogRqst::verify: enter
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: SvcLogRqst::verify: unlink(/var/log/svclog.upload)ed (status = 0)
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: couldn't stat input file, reason = No such file or directory
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: NetAgent::doXfer: open failed on Rqst : No such file or directory
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: drainGetPostQ: doXfer failed err=65535 (0xffff)
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: Xfer Performance Log says errors are Ok!
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: CommUtil: connection to host 127.0.0.1, port 8000, err 0x0
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: read 384 bytes of upload data for FourOneOneRqst
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: CommUtil: connection to host 127.0.0.1, port 8000, err 0x0
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: read 2103 bytes of upload data for HServerRqst
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: HTTP header: HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M
Sep 10 23:21:53 (none) comm[153]: HTTP header: Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:21:56 GMT^M

Yours starts going wrong here:
Sep 10 23:24:14 (none) comm[113]: CommUtil: connection to host 127.0.0.1, port 8000, err 0x50005
where mine is:

Run the following and post the output:
cat /etc/oztivo_version

This will tell you which version you are running

It sounds like you have an old version if it's missing the emuProxy2 (which should be at /hack/bin/emuProxy2 )

Wibble
11-09-2008, 01:46 PM
And to test you connectivity from you tivo,
run the following:
wget http://210.48.107.133:8000

This is what you should get:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# wget http://210.48.107.133:8000
--16:44:55-- http://210.48.107.133:8000/
=> `index.html.1'
Connecting to 210.48.107.133:8000... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1,858 [text/html]

0% [ ] 1,858 0.00B/s ETA 00:00

Last-modified header invalid -- time-stamp ignored.
16:44:55 (0.00 GB/s) - `index.html.1' saved [1858/1858]

If that doesn't work, then the daily call wont' work either,

David Stott
11-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Wibble

Tried the cat from within Putty (is that right?), and got:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# cat /etc/oztivo_version
cat: /etc/oztivo_version: No such file or directory
[TiVo [p0] ~]#

However, I got upgraded software and 250GB disk in October 2004, so probably safe to say an old version. That's why I'll probably end up reimaging, even if we do get a solution to current position.

The wget response looks good:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# wget http://210.48.107.133:8000
--16:51:37-- http://210.48.107.133:8000/
=> `index.html'
Connecting to 210.48.107.133:8000... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1,858 [text/html]

100%[====================================>] 1,858 95.50K/s

16:51:37 (95.50 KB/s) - `index.html' saved [1858/1858]

[TiVo [p0] ~]#

David

Wibble
11-09-2008, 02:48 PM
So You'll have to use

But I would strongly suggest just upgrading, it should solve all those problems.

catdog
11-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Can you confirm that emuProxy is actually running? Type "ps aux" in a telnet session and it will return a list of processes that are running.

TimesOwn
11-09-2008, 07:32 PM
ps ax | grep emuProxy2
is a focusing version, you could try that too David, from telnet / putty. Again let us have the results here please.

David Stott
11-09-2008, 08:12 PM
It doesn't look like it is running which would explain a lot (but not why it's not running).

[TiVo [p0] ~]# ps aux
USER PID %CPU %MEM SIZE RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
root 1 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 init
root 2 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 (kflushd)
root 3 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 (kswapd)
root 51 0.0 2.4 1096 340 ? S 12:45 0:00 update (bdflush)
root 59 0.0 4.1 1164 580 ? S 12:45 0:05 syslogd -p /var/dev/log -m 10000
root 61 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 klogd
root 77 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:01 /tvbin/switcherstart -m -F
root 78 0.0 4.5 6872 632 ? S 12:45 0:03 /tvbin/mfsd
root 79 0.0 2.7 1108 388 ? S 12:45 0:00 fancontrol
root 106 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 /tvbin/mcp
root 108 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 PipeListen
root 109 0.0 4.3 7016 600 ? S 12:45 0:04 Mcp event
root 110 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 /tvbin/tcphonehome
root 111 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 FsMpStream
root 112 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 PipeListener
root 113 0.1 13.1 10228 1832 ? S 12:45 0:54 PhoneHome event hd
root 116 0.0 8.4 10960 1172 ? S 12:45 0:10 /tvbin/dbgc-mcp
root 117 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 PipeListener
root 118 0.0 11.0 17352 1536 ? R 12:45 0:02 /tvbin/myworld
root 119 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 FsMpStream
root 120 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 PipeListener
root 121 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 TmkSinkMixAud
root 122 0.0 8.7 17348 1216 ? S 12:45 0:00 TmkClipCache0
root 123 0.0 8.6 17348 1212 ? S 12:45 0:00 TmkClipCache1
root 124 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:01 TvMomCs22Sink
root 125 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 TvMomCs22Sink
root 126 0.0 9.3 17356 1308 ? S 12:45 0:00 Mediaswitch0
root 127 0.0 9.6 17348 1344 ? R 12:45 0:00 TvVideoManager
root 128 0.0 9.8 17348 1368 ? R 12:45 0:00 TvRecorder
root 129 0.0 10.4 17348 1460 ? S 12:45 0:00 TmkTaskManager
root 130 0.0 11.4 17348 1592 ? S 12:45 0:06 Scheduler
root 131 0.0 12.2 17348 1704 ? S 12:45 0:00 Prioritizer
root 132 0.0 11.5 17356 1616 ? S 12:45 0:01 EventLog event
root 133 0.0 11.6 17352 1624 ? R 12:45 0:00 PvrMain
root 134 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 bus handler
root 135 0.0 19.8 17400 2764 ? R 12:45 0:08 ContextMgr eve
root 143 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 bash /devbin/tnlited.sh
root 145 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? RW 12:45 0:00 /sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login
root 154 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 vserver
root 155 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 bash /sbin/shondss.sh
root 158 0.0 3.5 1136 496 ? S 12:46 0:00 cron
root 159 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 tivoftpd
root 160 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 /bin/bash -login
root 161 0.0 11.4 9728 1596 ? R 12:46 0:11 tivosh /hack/tivoweb-tcl/httpd-tt.tcl
root 163 0.0 9.7 8296 1360 ? S 12:46 0:01 tivosh /var/hack/endpadplus.tcl -run 5 10 -auto
root 170 0.0 11.8 8300 1656 ? R 12:46 0:02 tivosh /hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl 3105 backgrounded
root 172 0.0 5.6 1820 788 ? S 12:46 0:04 /hack/index/tyindex
root 174 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 12:45 0:00 /hack/index/tyserver
root 206 0.0 0.0 0 0 p0 SW 12:45 0:00 /bin/bash -login
root 211 0.0 0.0 0 0 p0 RW 12:45 0:00 ps aux
[TiVo [p0] ~]# ps ax | grep emuProxy2
[TiVo [p0] ~]#

Here is what I have in rc.sysinit.author:

#### START HACKS ####

export MY_SERVER=10.0.0.1
export NFS_SERVER=$MY_SERVER
export SMB_SERVER=$MY_SERVER
#export TIME_SERVER=$MY_SERVER

#### Mount Network Shares #######

# mount NFS shares (if you have them) Change the NFS_SERVER variable above to the ip of box with share
#insmod -f /lib/modules/nfs.o
#mount -t nfs -o rsize=8192,wsize=8192 ${NFS_SERVER}:/home/tivo /hack/nfs

# Mount shares on your windows boxen.
# This doesn't work too well.
# insmod -f /lib/modules/smbfs.o
# smbmount //${SMB_SERVER}/SHARE /hack/smb -s putrename -c tivo -I x.x.x.x -U user -D WORKGROUP -P password

#### Start Programs ######

#Start dumb ntp daemon up for time syncs - Not necessary in most cases any more
# Not certain if this works in 3.0
#dumbntpd &

# CRON # Edit /hack/etc/crontab
cron &

#Start FTP daemon
tivoftpd &

# Start TiVoWeb
/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb &

# Vserver - Stream ty files on port 8074 see tivo-mplayer.sf.net
vserver > /dev/null 2>&1 &

# Start BASH on serial
shondss.sh &

# EndPad
# If you want to edit the start and end, do so in /hack/bin/runendpad.sh
/var/hack/endpadplus.tcl 5 10 -auto

##### Various Other Hacks #######

# Keep Guided Setup from bothering us
# Actually, we want GS to bother us...so comment it out
#fixup30.tcl
#fixup25.tcl

# Tweak HDD settings
# Don't worry if you don't have a two drive TiVo. It will work for 1 drive setups too.
hdparm -c1 -m8 -M1 -S0 /dev/hda /dev/hdb
hdparm -m16 /dev/hda /dev/hdb

/hack/bin/emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &

David

TimesOwn
11-09-2008, 08:31 PM
David
I am not sure that emuProxy2 has downloaded down correctly.
Try downloading it using Firefox 3 and FTP it across using one of the FTP apps, either should do the job, I know WinSCP will do it. Copy it across using rw and ro commands, I trust you are familiar with these by now.
I think you should be able to run the line
/hack/bin/emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &
and again
ps ax | grep emuProxy2
to see if it has started again.

Rebooting might be required though.
I also note the line in my file is
so that might be required however I would have thought both should work.

David Stott
11-09-2008, 10:43 PM
David - Done that but almost no change. I note the file size is unchanged from 25300 btyes whether downloaded by IE, Firefox, or the file you sent me directly.

The "almost" is that when I ran your comand first (ie before ps aux) it came up with a result. But when I ran ps aux, it still didn't appear to be there and rerunning ps ax | grep emuProxy2 produced no result again. Almost as if running ps aux caused emuProxy2 to stop running. That doesn't make any sense to me, but what do I know? I'll retest in the morning.

David

TimesOwn
12-09-2008, 05:37 AM
What was the result David?
Also following rebooting?

David Stott
12-09-2008, 06:07 AM
Here it is. NB I always reboot before running GS (unless just changing parameters but have those pretty well sussed by now).

188 p0 SW 0:00 grep emuProxy2
190 p0 SW 0:00 grep emuProxy2
[TiVo [p0] ~]# ps aux
USER PID %CPU %MEM SIZE RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
root 1 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 init
root 2 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 (kflushd)
root 3 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:01 (kswapd)
root 51 0.0 2.4 1096 340 ? S 08:07 0:00 update (bdflush)
root 59 0.0 4.1 1164 576 ? S 08:07 0:01 syslogd -p /var/dev/log -m 10000
root 61 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 klogd
root 77 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 /tvbin/switcherstart -m -F
root 78 0.0 4.5 6872 628 ? S 08:07 0:02 /tvbin/mfsd
root 79 0.0 2.6 1108 376 ? S 08:07 0:00 fancontrol
root 106 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 /tvbin/mcp
root 108 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 PipeListen
root 109 0.0 4.1 7016 584 ? S 08:07 0:00 Mcp event
root 110 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 /tvbin/tcphonehome
root 111 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 FsMpStream
root 112 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 PipeListener
root 113 1.2 14.2 10228 1992 ? S 08:07 0:44 PhoneHome event hd
root 122 0.0 5.5 10960 776 ? R 08:07 0:00 /tvbin/dbgc-mcp
root 123 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 PipeListener
root 125 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 bash /devbin/tnlited.sh
root 127 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? RW 08:06 0:00 /sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login
root 136 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 vserver
root 137 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 bash /sbin/shondss.sh
root 140 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 tivoftpd
root 141 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 /bin/bash -login
root 142 0.0 3.5 1136 488 ? S 08:07 0:00 cron
root 143 0.3 10.8 9728 1508 ? R 08:07 0:10 tivosh /hack/tivoweb-tcl/httpd-tt.tcl
root 145 0.0 11.1 17352 1552 ? R 08:07 0:02 /tvbin/myworld
root 146 0.0 8.7 8296 1216 ? R 08:07 0:00 tivosh /var/hack/endpadplus.tcl -run 5 10 -auto
root 150 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 FsMpStream
root 151 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 PipeListener
root 155 0.0 8.0 8300 1120 ? R 08:07 0:02 tivosh /hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl 3105 backgrounded
root 157 0.0 5.3 1820 744 ? S 08:07 0:00 /hack/index/tyindex
root 159 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 /hack/index/tyserver
root 160 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 TmkSinkMixAud
root 161 0.0 8.9 17348 1252 ? S 08:07 0:00 TmkClipCache0
root 162 0.0 8.9 17348 1252 ? S 08:07 0:00 TmkClipCache1
root 163 4.6 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 2:41 TvMomCs22Sink
root 164 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 TvMomCs22Sink
root 165 0.0 9.6 17356 1348 ? R 08:07 0:00 Mediaswitch0
root 166 0.0 9.9 17348 1384 ? R 08:07 0:00 TvVideoManager
root 167 0.0 9.7 17348 1364 ? R 08:07 0:00 TvRecorder
root 168 0.0 9.7 17348 1352 ? S 08:07 0:00 TmkTaskManager
root 169 0.0 11.1 17348 1552 ? S 08:07 0:00 Scheduler
root 170 0.0 10.3 17348 1448 ? R 08:07 0:00 Prioritizer
root 171 0.0 11.3 17356 1576 ? S 08:07 0:00 EventLog event
root 172 0.0 11.4 17352 1592 ? R 08:07 0:00 PvrMain
root 173 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 08:06 0:00 bus handler
root 174 0.3 19.5 17400 2728 ? R 08:07 0:10 ContextMgr eve
root 185 0.0 0.0 0 0 p0 SW 08:06 0:00 /bin/bash -login
root 191 0.0 0.0 0 0 p0 RW 08:06 0:00 ps aux
[TiVo [p0] ~]#

Again note that running ps aux changes result of running ps ax.

David

petestrash
12-09-2008, 12:44 PM
There should be nothing in grep that causes emuProxy to disappear, but I can't offer an explanation as to why this is happening.

Try this to see if mfs_ftp disappears:

ps ax
ps ax | grep mfs_ftp
ps ax

On a side note, apart from the anecdotal evidence of a proxy due to the change of ISP's have any tests been done to confirm a proxy? It would be very rare for an ISP to proxy port 8000.

Peter.

David Stott
12-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Pete, did you mean ps aux for the first and last commands, or does it amount to the same thing. Not knowing anything about Unix, I have no idea what the differences are.

Also, no, no tests have been run to see if Vodafone is running a proxy on port 8000. I don't really understand even what that means but would appreciate being pointed towards guidance on how to test it.

David

petestrash
12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Sorry, could you type each line and then press enter, and list the results, I have added a few more in there to test for a proxy.

ps ax

ps ax | grep mfs_ftp

ps ax

route

traceroute -p 21 210.48.107.133

traceroute -p 8000 210.48.107.133

ntpdate -v -b 210.48.107.133

Some of these tests take a while to complete, just wait until you are retuned to a prompt.

Peter.

David Stott
13-09-2008, 04:40 AM
Ok. I have Rebooted, set Pal NTSC to PAL (only way I can get back into standard menu), Deleted & Cleared everything, Rebooted, run a GS, and then run your commands from Putty. Here are the results:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# ps ax
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
1 ? SW 0:00 init
2 ? SW 0:00 (kflushd)
3 ? SW 0:00 (kswapd)
51 ? S 0:00 update (bdflush)
59 ? S 0:01 syslogd -p /var/dev/log -m 10000
61 ? SW 0:00 klogd
77 ? SW 0:00 /tvbin/switcherstart -m -F
78 ? S 0:02 /tvbin/mfsd
79 ? S 0:00 fancontrol
106 ? SW 0:00 /tvbin/mcp
108 ? SW 0:00 PipeListen
109 ? S 0:00 Mcp event
110 ? SW 0:00 /tvbin/tcphonehome
111 ? SW 0:00 FsMpStream
112 ? SW 0:00 PipeListener
113 ? S 0:44 PhoneHome event hd
117 ? S 0:00 /tvbin/dbgc-mcp
118 ? SW 0:00 PipeListener
119 ? S 0:02 /tvbin/myworld
122 ? SW 0:00 FsMpStream
123 ? SW 0:00 PipeListener
124 ? SW 0:00 TmkSinkMixAud
125 ? S 0:00 TmkClipCache0
126 ? S 0:00 TmkClipCache1
127 ? SW 0:00 TvMomCs22Sink
128 ? SW 0:00 TvMomCs22Sink
129 ? S 0:00 Mediaswitch0
130 ? R 0:00 TvVideoManager
131 ? R 0:00 TvRecorder
132 ? S 0:00 TmkTaskManager
133 ? S 0:00 Scheduler
134 ? S 0:00 Prioritizer
135 ? S 0:00 EventLog event
136 ? R 0:00 PvrMain
137 ? SW 0:00 bus handler
138 ? R 0:09 ContextMgr eve
143 ? SW 0:00 bash /devbin/tnlited.sh
145 ? SW 0:00 /sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login
154 ? SW 0:00 vserver
155 ? SW 0:00 bash /sbin/shondss.sh
158 ? SW 0:00 tivoftpd
159 ? SW 0:00 /bin/bash -login
160 ? S 0:00 cron
161 ? R 0:10 tivosh /hack/tivoweb-tcl/httpd-tt.tcl
163 ? S 0:01 tivosh /var/hack/endpadplus.tcl -run 5 10 -auto
170 ? R 0:02 tivosh /hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl 3105 backgrounded
172 ? S 0:00 /hack/index/tyindex
174 ? SW 0:00 /hack/index/tyserver
185 p0 SW 0:00 /bin/bash -login
187 p0 RW 0:00 ps ax
[TiVo [p0] ~]# ps ax | grep mfs_ftp
[TiVo [p0] ~]# ps ax
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
1 ? SW 0:00 init
2 ? SW 0:00 (kflushd)
3 ? RW 0:00 (kswapd)
51 ? S 0:00 update (bdflush)
59 ? S 0:01 syslogd -p /var/dev/log -m 10000
61 ? SW 0:00 klogd
77 ? SW 0:00 /tvbin/switcherstart -m -F
78 ? S 0:02 /tvbin/mfsd
79 ? S 0:00 fancontrol
106 ? SW 0:00 /tvbin/mcp
108 ? SW 0:00 PipeListen
109 ? S 0:00 Mcp event
110 ? SW 0:00 /tvbin/tcphonehome
111 ? SW 0:00 FsMpStream
112 ? SW 0:00 PipeListener
113 ? S 0:44 PhoneHome event hd
117 ? R 0:00 /tvbin/dbgc-mcp
118 ? SW 0:00 PipeListener
119 ? R 0:02 /tvbin/myworld
122 ? SW 0:00 FsMpStream
123 ? SW 0:00 PipeListener
124 ? SW 0:00 TmkSinkMixAud
125 ? S 0:00 TmkClipCache0
126 ? S 0:00 TmkClipCache1
127 ? SW 0:00 TvMomCs22Sink
128 ? SW 0:00 TvMomCs22Sink
129 ? S 0:00 Mediaswitch0
130 ? R 0:00 TvVideoManager
131 ? R 0:00 TvRecorder
132 ? S 0:00 TmkTaskManager
133 ? S 0:00 Scheduler
134 ? R 0:00 Prioritizer
135 ? S 0:00 EventLog event
136 ? R 0:00 PvrMain
137 ? SW 0:00 bus handler
138 ? R 0:09 ContextMgr eve
143 ? SW 0:00 bash /devbin/tnlited.sh
145 ? RW 0:00 /sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login
154 ? SW 0:00 vserver
155 ? SW 0:00 bash /sbin/shondss.sh
158 ? SW 0:00 tivoftpd
159 ? SW 0:00 /bin/bash -login
160 ? S 0:00 cron
161 ? R 0:10 tivosh /hack/tivoweb-tcl/httpd-tt.tcl
163 ? S 0:01 tivosh /var/hack/endpadplus.tcl -run 5 10 -auto
172 ? S 0:00 /hack/index/tyindex
174 ? SW 0:00 /hack/index/tyserver
185 p0 SW 0:00 /bin/bash -login
190 p0 RW 0:00 ps ax
[TiVo [p0] ~]#

I note mfs_ftp still running (should I have added .tcl to end?). Will put next commands on next message as not sure how long a message I can create on this board.

David

TimesOwn
13-09-2008, 04:45 AM
The output can be pasted to notepad, saved as a text file, attach the text file to the post.

David Stott
13-09-2008, 04:58 AM
[TiVo [p0] ~]# route
route_info, afname=inet, options=33
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 32767 0 0 eth0
default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
[TiVo [p0] ~]# traceroute -p 21 210.48.107.133
traceroute to 210.48.107.133 (210.48.107.133), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 1.603 ms 1.111 ms 1.093 ms
2 203.109.128.91 (203.109.128.91) 55.333 ms 53.146 ms 58.741 ms
3 203.109.143.97 (203.109.143.97) 44.985 ms 45.981 ms 44.461 ms
4 203.109.130.161 (203.109.130.161) 48.179 ms 49.680 ms 48.679 ms
5 192.203.154.44 (192.203.154.44) 57.264 ms 45.571 ms 45.433 ms
6 192.203.154.44 (192.203.154.44) 47.081 ms 45.949 ms 45.113 ms
7 210.48.5.69 (210.48.5.69) 46.005 ms 48.279 ms 45.681 ms
8 210.48.5.2 (210.48.5.2) 45.998 ms 46.320 ms 44.913 ms
9 210.48.5.102 (210.48.5.102) 45.371 ms 46.185 ms 45.136 ms
10 210.48.17.201 (210.48.17.201) 46.467 ms 46.772 ms 45.205 ms
11 210.48.107.133 (210.48.107.133) 45.450 ms 46.488 ms 45.452 ms
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *
[TiVo [p0] ~]# traceroute -p 8000 21 210.48.107.133
traceroute: "210.48.107.133" bad value for packet length
[TiVo [p0] ~]# ntpdate -v -b 210.48.107.133
[TiVo [p0] ~]# Time set to: Sat Sep 13 07:56:32 2008
Have a nice day.

David

TimesOwn
13-09-2008, 11:30 AM
David, run and paste
(and not traceroute -p 8000 21 210.48.107.133 )

petestrash
13-09-2008, 11:39 AM
You had a typo in the second last command, should be:

Peter.

EDIT: Jinx David. both responded together :)

David Stott
13-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Ooops. Sorry about that. Trying so hard too. Nothing has been done to TiVo since last post so this is directly following previous.

[TiVo [p0] ~]# traceroute -p 8000 210.48.107.133
1 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 2.819 ms 1.163 ms 1.010 ms
2 203.109.128.91 (203.109.128.91) 54.016 ms 52.291 ms 53.482 ms
3 203.109.143.97 (203.109.143.97) 45.338 ms 45.481 ms 44.434 ms
4 203.109.130.161 (203.109.130.161) 45.496 ms 44.783 ms 46.112 ms
5 192.203.154.44 (192.203.154.44) 45.465 ms 44.811 ms 45.454 ms
6 192.203.154.44 (192.203.154.44) 45.170 ms 44.788 ms 45.555 ms
7 210.48.5.69 (210.48.5.69) 45.387 ms 46.738 ms 45.213 ms
8 210.48.5.2 (210.48.5.2) 45.155 ms 44.807 ms 45.682 ms
9 210.48.5.102 (210.48.5.102) 45.969 ms 45.775 ms 45.835 ms
10 210.48.17.201 (210.48.17.201) 46.350 ms 45.249 ms 45.681 ms
11 210.48.107.133 (210.48.107.133) 47.445 ms 47.428 ms 46.700 ms
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *
[TiVo [p0] ~]#

David

petestrash
13-09-2008, 01:12 PM
I should have also got you to try this one:
traceroute -p 80 210.48.107.133

Peter.

David Stott
13-09-2008, 02:20 PM
[TiVo [p0] ~]# traceroute -p 80 210.48.107.133
1 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 2.568 ms 1.150 ms 1.004 ms
2 203.109.128.91 (203.109.128.91) 52.879 ms 48.340 ms 49.444 ms
3 203.109.143.97 (203.109.143.97) 45.470 ms 45.498 ms 45.413 ms
4 203.109.130.161 (203.109.130.161) 45.039 ms 44.227 ms 45.193 ms
5 192.203.154.44 (192.203.154.44) 46.392 ms 46.705 ms 45.457 ms
6 192.203.154.44 (192.203.154.44) 44.785 ms 44.175 ms 46.192 ms
7 210.48.5.69 (210.48.5.69) 45.404 ms 47.636 ms 46.629 ms
8 210.48.5.2 (210.48.5.2) 45.192 ms 45.955 ms 45.975 ms
9 210.48.5.102 (210.48.5.102) 45.374 ms 45.693 ms 45.472 ms
10 210.48.17.201 (210.48.17.201) 46.413 ms 45.747 ms 46.140 ms
11 210.48.107.133 (210.48.107.133) 46.760 ms 46.425 ms 46.150 ms
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *
[TiVo [p0] ~]#

David Stott
13-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Peter - it's version 1.3.

David

petestrash
13-09-2008, 05:16 PM
I guess you got the email notification before I edited the post :)

Ok, all the tests do show that there is no obvious proxy between you and the New Zealand server, and the TiVo seems to have normal access to the internet.

It would probably be a bit easier to start from scratch with the current image as it easier for me to support, as many files and locations have changed since 1.3.

But if you want to persevere, we can give it a go.

Please post the contents of your

/var/log/tclient
/etc/tclient.conf
/etc/rc.d/rc.net
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local

Some may not exist, this is ok.

Due to the size of some you may need to zip the contents and post as an attachment.

Peter.

David Stott
13-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks to you Pete and all the others who have given their time to try to help me through this.

I agree entirely that it's really wasting all our time to persevere beyond this point as there is clearly no easy fix, so it is time to bite the bullet and start from clean new software. I'm away for a few days from tomorrow so will give the reimage thing a go on my return. Look for a post on my success or otherwise towards the end of the week :-)

Thanks again

David

petestrash
13-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Ok, good luck!

Peter.

David Stott
17-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Just a further thought. If I got two TiVos, how do I control them separately? My Integra amplifier solves the problem of having two like pieces of gear in the same place by having three sets of codes built in. So I simply set the second one and it's remote to code set 2, and then I have no problems controlling each separately. But I doubt if the TiVo has this facility (especially Series 1)?

I'm assuming those of you who have more than one, site them in separate rooms and also watch recordings in those rooms so that all control is local and doesn't interfere with other TiVos you have. Is this correct?

David

Darren King
17-09-2008, 09:11 AM
But I doubt if the TiVo has this facility (especially Series 1)?
It most certainly does. You can have up to 9 actually.

Easiest way is to set one to ID number 1 and the other to ID number 2 and then get a Series 2 remote that has a little switch on it that you can select between unit 1 and 2. You can also do it with Series 1 remotes but to do it easily you need to have two remotes. One Series 2 remote is more elegant.

For more info see here: http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/IR/ControlTwoTiVosInSameRoom

catdog
17-09-2008, 09:13 AM
If I got two TiVos, how do I control them separately? My Integra amplifier solves the problem of having two like pieces of gear in the same place by having three sets of codes built in. So I simply set the second one and it's remote to code set 2, and then I have no problems controlling each separately. But I doubt if the TiVo has this facility (especially Series 1)?

Tivo (even series 1!) have this option too :)
http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/IR/ControlTwoTiVosInSameRoom

Edit: Too slow, Darren beat me to it!

David Stott
17-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Excellent. How could I have doubted TiVo? Oh me of little faith.

David

David Stott
20-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Ah well. Maybe I'm just not supposed to have a working TiVo.

Have now done the reimage thing and putting disk into PC, booting up with Aug06 image and going through each of the setup menu options seemed to work fine. But putting disk back into TiVo, connecting all cords and plugging in power brought up "Your Recorder is starting up. Please wait a moment ..." and there it sat refusing to budge. Tried to Telnet in via Putty with no response and ditto vie IE7. Gave it 15 minutes with no change, so tried unplugging and replugging the power cord. Same result.

Things I could have done wrong:

1. I gave it the old network address of 192.168.0.111. Maybe I should have left it blank.

2. I changed the Tuner settings to Phillips instead of the Samsung default.

3. ???

Any ideas?

A possible clue is that trying to do a backup beforehand using WinSCP failed after spending time getting the directories. It then started to do the copy but quickly failed (after about 20 seconds and 2MB copied) with missing files and that soon deteriorated into a loss of the connection. Tried this a couple of times and it just kept failing at the same point. Starting to sound like a corrupt disk?

David

Wibble
20-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Starting to sound like a corrupt disk?

Tivo's just don't handle any disk errors whatsoever.

I would suggest testing the disk using the manufacturer's utility. The easiest way is to use:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
It has all of them.

petestrash
20-09-2008, 01:21 PM
I think a problem disk is unlikely at this stage, it still would have gone beyond the prom screen.

That screen normally stays there if there is no drive attached.

I would first check that you have the Drive's jumper set to single drive master, and that the power and data cables are securely attached at both ends (drive & MB/PSU).

Peter.

David Stott
20-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes . . . well . . . ahem . . . cough, cough . . . shuffle of feet, etc.

Technically, my description of what I did is correct. I DID put the disk back into the TiVo. What I DIDN'T do, is connect it up. Seems to make a difference. (And in my defence had worked this out before Peter's message just now.)

1. However, fixing that small oversight, and plugging power cord back in had it coming up with Guided Setup OK but failing as before at the Connecting . . . step with "Failed. Service Unavailable" as before (but after 3minutes rather than the previous 16).

2. Putty'd in with no problem, and Pico'd /etc/postcodezones. Noticed that 02110 is missing so added that and tried again. No change.

3. Did a Full Restart (closest thing I could see on the new menu system that looks like a Reboot), which finished instantly (a bit suspicious that), and tried again but no joy.

4. Unplugged TiVo and plugged it back in. Browsed to TiVo and used SysAdmin/PAL-NTSC/Set PAL Guided Setup Mode which produced:

TiVo set for PAL Guided Setup. Please reboot.

root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false TV_STD=PAL GS=1 GS=1

Tried Full Restart but it really doesn't seem to do anything (doesn't even change the screen from the failure message) so unplugged power cord and plugged back in and it ran through GS again. No change.

5. Used SysAdmin to Set PAL and then SetPAL Guided Setup Mode (gets rid of the double GS = 1 at the end but don't suppose that matters). Used Pico to look at tclient.conf and found following:

126::66.23.218.193:80:::
# This is for the server emulator on minnie. Trouble if your ISP blocks HTTP .9
#127::131.244.9.101:80:::

# NZ legacy
126::210.48.107.133:80:::

# NZ develop
128::210.48.107.133:8888:::

So now I need to know if there is anything I should change there.

a) The file is tiny compared with what was there before. Hope this is a good thing.

b) I note two live lines with 126 in them and referring to port 80.

c) Line 127 is the revised line that Wibble originally mentioned for getting around a proxy.

d) rc.sysinit.author does have the correct corresponding line

So that's probably all correct.

My next plan is to take it to a friend's house who has a different Telco and ISP to eliminate network issues as a cause but guess I'll have to go back into the reimage process to change over the network address to blank.

Have also downloaded Wibble's Ultimate Boot CD and will use it to test disk.

Unless anyone has any other ideas?

David

Darren King
20-09-2008, 04:36 PM
2. I changed the Tuner settings to Phillips instead of the Samsung default.

If your TiVo has been modified with an internal PAL tuner and you intend to use it as your program source I suggest you change this back. No, it does not affect your current connection problem, but not changing it back will mean you won't see anything via the internal tuner with it set to Philips. The brand of the internal tuner has nothing to do with the fact you have a Philips branded TiVo.

petestrash
20-09-2008, 10:03 PM
4. full restart only restarts TWP, not the TiVo.

5. To answer this, what is your DialConfig set for? To find it use TWP, go into MFS > State > PhoneConfig then look at your DialConfig setting.

b. This is an issue, put a # in front of the first one.

Can't answer the others till you answer 5.

Peter.

David Stott
21-09-2008, 04:16 AM
Peter

4. So where is Reboot now? Is unplugging power cord the only way to do it? Used to be an option from the browser and within System Reset from the menu on the TV.

5. I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are saying here. I assume that TWP means TiVo Web Plus but that's it. Am I using the browser, the main menu showing on the telly or something like WinSCP to look at the actual disk? None of these bring up anything that could be construed as MFS, so I'll need a bit of pointing in the right direction here.

5b. Did that and had no effect (would have been surprised if did since presumably it's not causing problems for others).

BTW, clicking on Info when accessing the TiVo using my browser brings up the following which doesn't seem right:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_info '/' ''
no such object:
while executing
"dbobj $channel get Number"
("uplevel" body line 4)
invoked from within
"uplevel $body"
invoked from within
"transaction {uplevel $body}"
(procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
invoked from within
"RetryTransaction {
set state [db $db open "/State/MyWorld"]
set channel [dbobj $state get LastChannel]
set chnum [db..."
(procedure "::action_info" line 63)
invoked from within
"::action_$action $chan $part $env"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"

Further, when I use my browser to point directly at 210.48.107.133 I get the following:

"NZ Data Development Zone
You've reached the development root directory for the NZTivo data effort.

Confused? -> Visit the forums or the wiki for more info :P

What is a Tivo?

In short Tivo is a (smart) digital video recorder that uses Hard Disk technology as opposed to tape technology such as conventional VCR's! Tivo is defined as a Personal Video Recorder (PVR) or Digital Video Recorder (DVR), an acronym for a device that:

puts you in control of your TV viewing
allows you to quickly access lists of recordings
skip quickly through extraneous parts of the recordings
lets you watch what you want, when you want!
The Tivo combines several important technologies together, such as real-time hardware video encoding, hard disk storage, and an electronic program guide (EPG). The key features of this combination of technologies are the recording and playback of shows, time-shifting (the ability to rewind/pause/fast-forward live TV), the ability to schedule regular recordings (eg daily/weekly shows), and the ability to suggest and record new shows (based on your likes/dislikes), etc.

Last Updated: 9th March 2006"

Is that what's supposed to happen?

David

David Stott
21-09-2008, 05:09 AM
Darren - Re your question about my internal tuner, I have no such thing as far as I'm aware. I use a Freeview satellite decoder attached via RCA cables to tune into TV. So I assume no need to worry about the setting?

BTW, I'm still unable to see live TV via the TiVo. Has anyone else ever had this symptom, and if so how did you resolve it?

Also, I assume I'm going to have to change the network address to blank if I'm to try running the TiVo through someone else's router. Is there an easy way to do that or do I have to go through the full reimage procedure again?

David

TimesOwn
21-09-2008, 05:22 AM
David
Rebooting can also be done by typing "reboot" into a putty session. Yes use a browser to access TWP, the successor to what I think you were using. It can also be seen at http://thomson.tivo.googlepages.com/main.htm. Changes are noted at http://thomson.tivo.googlepages.com/tivowebplus2
Darren et al, David only has satellite available where he lives, so any terrestrial signal is not an option for him, seemingly making any TiVo tuner superfluous in his case.

petestrash
21-09-2008, 06:09 AM
4. I can't remember reboot being available from TiVoWeb, but is should still be available from the TiVo on screen menus or by typing reboot as David H has said.

5. You are probably running an older version of either TiVoWeb (TW) or TiVoWebPlus (TWP) than what I am using so I can't point you to exactly which menu has MFS. But if you can't find it by browsing through the menus then just try typing your TiVo's IP address followed by /mfs into a browser (eg. 192.168.1.16/mfs). Then follow the instructions I gave earlier.

You will need to set your TiVo to DHCP from the current fixed IP if you wanted to test elsewhere. I would rather you did not do this before giving the answer to 5.

The only problem I have is that I will be leaving soon and will not likely be back on the internet until Monday night.

Peter.

David Stott
21-09-2008, 06:17 AM
David

Thanks for Reboot tip. That works fine.

Thanks also for pointing me to Version 1.3.1 of TWP. Was on 1.2.3 from the Aug06 image and hadn't realised that should be updated. That's now running.

Unfortunately, I still can't work out what Peter wants me to do with it, as I can't see anything that looks like "MFS". However, if he's asking what the Dial Prefix is in GS Dialing Options, I can confirm it is ,#401.

Stop Press. I see my reply has crossed with Peter's. On to that now thanks Peter.

David

David Stott
21-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Peter

Found it under More. Contents of PhoneConfig are:

PhoneConfig 2276/10 {
Version = 163
CallWaitingPrefix = {}
LastSuccessCallSecInDay = 0
LastCallAttemptSecInDay = 1221983863
CallStatusInfo = 14
LocalAreaCode = 002
DialConfig = 127
DialPrefix = ,#401
LastCallStatus = Failed
NextCallAttemptSecInDay = 1221989987
IndexPath = /State/PhoneConfig
}

David

Darren King
21-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Darren - Re your question about my internal tuner, I have no such thing as far as I'm aware. I use a Freeview satellite decoder attached via RCA cables to tune into TV. So I assume no need to worry about the setting?

No, no need to worry about it then. Kind of begs the question why you thought it necessary to change it in the first place.

David Stott
21-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for that Darren. I was clearly confused.

I have now taken the TiVo to a friend's place but the result was still the same, just terminating even faster after about a minute from the "Connecting ..." message. Different router, telco, and ISP, so guess that confirms that there is definitely a problem with either the TiVo hardware or software.

Next step is to check the hard disk.

David

TimesOwn
21-09-2008, 05:30 PM
David
Did you restore it to full DHCP? It might pay to check it is getting the correct gateway address? When you changed ISP's did your router also change? With the second TiVo you will need to ensure the MAC addresses are different, else you'll probably notice more issues!

David Stott
22-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Wibble. Have tried to use the Ultimate Boot CD software you recommended but after installing it, it recommends running UBCD4WinBuilder.exe. This comes up and immediately fails as it can't find subfolder C:/UBCD4Win/i386. Since it created C:/UBCD4Win as part of the installation process, this hardly seems my fault.

Any ideas as to what I should do now?

David

petestrash
22-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Peter

Found it under More.

PhoneConfig 2276/10 {

DialConfig = 127

Ok I'm back, that's what I was looking for.

So right now it is set to use emuproxy. Lets bypass that and see what happens.

In tclient.conf, an you put a # in front of the line below the emuproxy comment so it looks like this #127::127.0.0.1:8000::: and add a new line at the bottom that looks like this 127::210.48.107.133:8000:::

reboot and try again.

Peter.

David Stott
22-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Peter

Made that change , rebooted and went through GS. Same result as before except that now back to the old situation of it taking a full 16 minutes to fail.

Here's confirmation of my change:

David

petestrash
22-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Do you have a /var/log/tclient file?

If you do please post it.

Peter.

Ps I don't think you are having drive issue. But it just shouldn't be this hard to get a Philips unit going in NZ.

David Stott
22-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Peter

Log of tonight's run attached.

David

petestrash
23-09-2008, 01:59 AM
Have you actually completed the guided setup?

Is this log from trying to run the guided setup, or is it from you trying to force a daily call?

Peter.

David Stott
23-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Peter - I have always run GS. Never just a daily call. The GS has failed EVERY TIME at the "Connecting ..." stage. The only variation has been in how long it takes to fail, which has varied from 1 minute (at my friends house with different Router, telco, and ISP), to 16 minutes (when I first started running it and now with your latest change). Before the latest change it was failing after 3 -4 minutes.

David

Wibble
23-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Wibble. Have tried to use the Ultimate Boot CD software you recommended but after installing it, it recommends running UBCD4WinBuilder.exe. This comes up and immediately fails as it can't find subfolder C:/UBCD4Win/i386. Since it created C:/UBCD4Win as part of the installation process, this hardly seems my fault.
Any ideas as to what I should do now?
David

This doesn't sound right.

You want to download the ISO image, burn it to cd then boot off it on a PC with the tivo drive plugged in (and to be safe any other drive unplugged)

Here's one of the mirrors:
http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/28473

Wibble
23-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Log of tonight's run attached.
David

You are now connecting to the server but are failing part way through.
If you look at the times, it fails and times out on "XferRqst timeout waiting to read"

Your log:

Sep 22 21:32:20 (none) comm[153]: CommUtil: connection to host 210.48.107.133, port 8000, err 0x0
Sep 22 21:32:20 (none) comm[153]: Uploading HTTP Header for modLog of /var/log/svclog: POST /tivo-service/mlog.cgi HTTP/1.0^M Content-Length: 1432^M ^M
Sep 22 21:32:20 (none) comm[153]: read HTTP Header: HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:32:15 GMT^M Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Mandriva Linux/PREFORK-13.3.20060mdk) mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7g PHP/5.0.4 mod_perl/2.0.1 Perl/v5.8.7^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/plain; charset=IS
Sep 22 21:32:20 (none) comm[153]: O-8859-1
Sep 22 21:32:20 (none) comm[153]: SvcLogRqst::verify: enter
Sep 22 21:32:20 (none) comm[153]: SvcLogRqst::verify: unlink(/var/log/svclog.upload)ed (status = 0)
Sep 22 21:32:20 (none) comm[153]: CommUtil: connection to host 210.48.107.133, port 8000, err 0x0
Sep 22 21:32:20 (none) comm[153]: read 384 bytes of upload data for FourOneOneRqst
Sep 22 21:32:21 (none) comm[153]: CommUtil: connection to host 210.48.107.133, port 8000, err 0x0
Sep 22 21:32:21 (none) comm[153]: read 1892 bytes of upload data for HServerRqst
Sep 22 21:35:17 (none) comm[153]: XferRqst timeout waiting to read
Sep 22 21:46:22 (none) WatchdogAction[149]: WatchdogAction::Trigger: callActive for 900 interval-secs
Sep 22 21:47:45 (none) comm[153]: drainGetPostQ: doXfer failed err=65535 (0xffff)
Sep 22 21:47:45 (none) comm[153]: NetAgent: drainPostQ failed, err = 0xffff

Here's my working log:
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: Uploading HTTP Header for modLog of /var/log/svclog: POST /tivo-service/mlog.cgi HTTP/1.0^M Content-Length: 753^M ^M
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: read HTTP Header: HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:51:32 GMT^M Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Mandriva Linux/PREFORK-13.3.20060mdk) mod_
ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7g PHP/5.0.4 mod_perl/2.0.1 Perl/v5.8.7^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/plain; charset=IS
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: O-8859-1
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: SvcLogRqst::verify: enter
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: SvcLogRqst::verify: unlink(/var/log/svclog.upload)ed (status = 0)
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: couldn't stat input file, reason = No such file or directory
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: NetAgent::doXfer: open failed on Rqst : No such file or directory
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: drainGetPostQ: doXfer failed err=65535 (0xffff)
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: Xfer Performance Log says errors are Ok!
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: CommUtil: connection to host 127.0.0.1, port 8000, err 0x0
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: read 384 bytes of upload data for FourOneOneRqst
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: CommUtil: connection to host 127.0.0.1, port 8000, err 0x0
Sep 23 00:51:29 (none) comm[153]: read 2111 bytes of upload data for HServerRqst
Sep 23 00:51:30 (none) comm[153]: HTTP header: HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M
Sep 23 00:51:30 (none) comm[153]: HTTP header: Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:51:33 GMT^M
Sep 23 00:51:30 (none) comm[153]: HTTP header: Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Mandriva Linux/PREFORK-13.3.20060mdk) mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7g PHP/5.0.4 mod_perl/2.0.1 Perl/v5.8.
7^M
Sep 23 00:51:30 (none) comm[153]: HTTP header: Connection: close^M
Sep 23 00:51:30 (none) comm[153]: HTTP header: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1^M
Sep 23 00:51:30 (none) comm[153]: HTTP header: ^M
Sep 23 00:51:30 (none) comm[153]: Start TCD411Resp =====================

So your network setup looks goods. The only things I can think of is a flacky disk or a flacky network.

David Stott
23-09-2008, 12:19 PM
This doesn't sound right.

You want to download the ISO image, burn it to cd then boot off it on a PC with the tivo drive plugged in (and to be safe any other drive unplugged)

Here's one of the mirrors:
http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/28473

Thanks Wibble, that site looks better. Somehow following the previous site I ended up with a .exe file of a much older version of the software anyway (3.2.0).

However, starting up a PC with a CDRom with the 4.1.1 version of the .iso file copied to it and just the TiVo hard disk in the PC produced the following:

"Managed PC Boot Agent (MBA) v3.10
Copyright, etc, etc

Node: 00500462EF12
DHCP . . .
TFTP . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Error:

Network boot aborted.
Press any key to continue

(which I did)

Operating System not found"

So does that mean I should have my standard C: PC disk in place and put the TiVo into the D: drive space instead and then boot with the CDROM loaded?

Sorry that it must seem like pulling teeth to get me to do the right thing but I did warn at the outset that I'm highly non-technical. Perhaps I should also have added "apt to chose the wrong option at every opportunity".

David

Darren King
23-09-2008, 12:31 PM
with the 4.1.1 version of the .iso file copied to it

Ummm...no.

An .iso file is a complete images of what make up a whole CD all rolled into one file. You can't simply copy that file to a CD. You need a CD burning program that can load in the .iso file and burn the CD correctly. Most programs can do this and for example the program Nero is good at it. Try doing a Google for the phrase "burning iso files"

David Stott
23-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Which of course is what I would have done when I burned the TiVo image to disk. Did I mention my memory is crap too?

OK did all that and ran tests for Western Digital which was DLG Diagnostic V4.15. The Quick Test produced "No errors detected.", but the Extended Test (which took just over an hour) resulted in "One or more errors were detected. Final Code for this drive 0356"

So is that it? I should just get a new (bigger) drive? If so, any recommendations? I see Pricespy have a number of 1TB drives for only about $200.

David

petestrash
23-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Yes, it's failing while waiting for a response to the 411 request. I usually only see this on a daily call when the wrong options have been choosen.

Maybe you could tell us what you are selecting at each screen during setup, in case there is something obvious that is wrong.

Peter.

Edit: This was actually in response to post #89, looks like a few more came through since I loaded the page. I still do not think changing drives will fix this issue.

David Stott
23-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Ok Options I have been using are:

Source: Satellite (but also try Satellite and Cable as not sure of this one)
Zip Code: 02110
Time Zone: Eastern
Daylight Savings: No
Area Code: 002
Phone Dialling: No

Also, I reimaged the file earlier this afternoon, correcting the IP Address to null as suggested by others and leaving the Tuner option to the default of Samsung, not that that makes any difference. The NIC is set to Turbonet 100MBit Wired NIC. The MAC address was left as the default as was the Host Name (and I realise I will need to change these two with the new TiVo arriving tomorrow). I then did the disk testing referred to in my last post, and have just now put the disk back in the TiVo and rebooted.

Running GS, still brings up the same old error.

Note also that there is still the issue of hardware errors on the disk which may or may not be affecting things.

David

petestrash
24-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm not in NZ, but reading the FAQ (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=959) try using just cable as your source.

Also to setup DHCP it is not enough to just blank the IP address, you need to re-run nic_config_tivo.

Again, I wouldn't worry about the drive errors for the moment.

Peter.

David Stott
24-09-2008, 01:38 PM
What is nic-config-tivo? I've never run it (or seen any reference to it in the literature) so not sure how to "re-run" it?

Also, trying to browse into the TiVo to bring up the online menu (and changing to 192.168.0.8 which the Router tells me it has now asigned it to) it now is asking me for a login name and password. I don't recall having to enter these in the past so what the hell do I do now? NB Putty gets in just fine.

David

petestrash
24-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Just type nic_config_tivo in putty (note _ is used not -) this will bring up the network settings menu, the same as you used when you ran the installer CD.

For the TWP username enter oztivo and no password.

Have you tried using only cable as the source as I suggested?

Peter.

David Stott
24-09-2008, 03:53 PM
OK did that with the following result:

[TiVo [p1] ~]# nic_config_tivo

TiVo TurboNet/AirNet/CacheCard on Tivo Configure - 20041218

Copyright 2002-2004 Silicondust Engineering Ltd. All rights reserved.

Detecting TiVo hard drive...

Detecting TiVo partitions...
Active kernel partition = /dev/hda3.
Inactive kernel partition = /dev/hda6.
Active root partition = /dev/hda4.
Inactive root partition = /dev/hda7.
Var partition = /dev/hda9.

Determining software version...
Philips HDR Series Stand Alone TiVo running 3.0-01-1-000

Remounting root partition...
Root successfully remounted as writable.

Checking installation type...
Configuring TurboNet installation.

Checking script...
Complete.

Current/New Configuration:
timing setting = optimal
mac address = 00:0B:AD:10:10:10
ip address = dhcp
ip subnet mask = dhcp
ip gateway = dhcp
debug level = off

Options
1: Change timing setting
2: Change MAC address
3: Change IP address/gateway
4: Change debug logging option
9: View/extract log file
0: Apply and exit
!: Exit without saving

[0..6]?
[TiVo [p1] ~]# nic_config_tivo

TiVo TurboNet/AirNet/CacheCard on Tivo Configure - 20041218

Copyright 2002-2004 Silicondust Engineering Ltd. All rights reserved.

Detecting TiVo hard drive...

Detecting TiVo partitions...
Active kernel partition = /dev/hda3.
Inactive kernel partition = /dev/hda6.
Active root partition = /dev/hda4.
Inactive root partition = /dev/hda7.
Var partition = /dev/hda9.

Determining software version...
Philips HDR Series Stand Alone TiVo running 3.0-01-1-000

Root successfully remounted as writable.

Checking installation type...
Configuring TurboNet installation.

Checking script...
Complete.

Current/New Configuration:
timing setting = optimal
mac address = 00:0B:AD:10:10:10
ip address = dhcp
ip subnet mask = dhcp
ip gateway = dhcp
debug level = off

Options
1: Change timing setting
2: Change MAC address
3: Change IP address/gateway
4: Change debug logging option
9: View/extract log file
0: Apply and exit
!: Exit without saving

[0..6]? 0

Updating script...
Complete.

Clear the log file on the tivo [y/n]? n

Root successfully remounted as readonly.

Configuration update complete, reboot for changes to take effect.
[TiVo [p1] ~]# reboot

I reran GS (using Cable) with no change in result. I haven't "cleared and deleted all" for a while since nothing has been recording. Should I still be doing this before each GS?

Separately, my second TiVo arrived today. Unfortunately, it only has wireless and presumably not configured for my router so I can't see it on the network. Should I simply buy a NIC for it (if so what type) or is there a way in via the image boot disk?

David

Darren King
24-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I haven't "cleared and deleted all" for a while since nothing has been recording. Should I still be doing this before each GS?

I thought that (well, for the Oz version of the image which I thought the NZ was based on) if you cannot successfully do a GS then the next time you boot the TiVo it comes back up to the start of GS. This is definitely the case if you reimage the hard disk and never complete a successful GS attempt.

As for your second TiVo: Do you mean that the network card installed is totally wireless, or is there a short network lead that plugs from the network card to a wireless adaptor?

petestrash
24-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Ok, it appears that the NZ image uses the Silicon Dust nic_config_tivo, and not the OzTiVo one which I was expecting. They don't really do all the same things.

At this point it would be best if you could take your machine to someone who already has a TiVo near you and test it on their system to see if the problem is on your network or in the box.

Is there anyone in NZ who can help David? (you may want to start a new post for the request)

I wouldn't waste any money on getting a card for the new TiVo yet until you have the other one up and running.

The one thing you could try is using your existing network card on this TiVo and loading the Australian OzTiVo image then trying to setup as if you were in Australia? It won't work as a TiVo for you, as you will be getting Oz guide data and times, but at least we can confirm whether calls to our server work and if the rest of your TiVo is ok. This way if you still have network issues, at least I'm familiar with the tools and setup of our image and server. once we are finished you just load the NZ image instead.

Peter.

David Stott
27-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Ok, after a hiatus with the loss of the web site, I'm back into it. The update is that I am having exactly the same problems with my new TiVo as the old one, ie failing to connect (either with the previous owner's settings unchanged or simply changing those to my postcode). It's wireless but that's not a problem as it is now connecting to my router fine.

This definitely suggests NOT a hardware/software problem, despite my previous test from a friend's place in downtown Tairua which also failed in the same way. So I'd really like to test it out of town at someone's place who has a working TiVo. While I'm pretty sure no-one reading this is likely to live in Tairua, I will be going to Whangamata next Wednesday, and Auckland one day in the next two weeks.

The Auckland trip is entirely flexible so I could easily fit in with someone there who was kind enough to let me bring TiVo, Freeview decoder, and Router up to see if I could isolate which bit is failing.

David

petestrash
27-09-2008, 01:25 PM
David, can I suggest that start a new thread asking for assistance in those areas, as not many people are still following this thread.

Peter.

David Stott
29-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Pete, one other thing. I sometimes have enormous difficulty just connecting to this site. My browser can take up to a minute or so to fully bring up a page like this one from the OzTiVo site - not always but often and this morning in particular. I do not have this problem with other sites. Does that indicate some possible problem with the link to the OzTivo site from the Coromandel? I know it doesn't seem likely but I'm trying to explore all possibilities and explain why my TiVo also failed at a friend's house (which suggests hardware/software problems with my TiVo) but the new TiVo also fails at home (which suggests the opposite, ie an ISP/network issue).

David

TimesOwn
29-09-2008, 04:29 AM
David
Who are the respective ISP's involved at each residence in the Coromandel? Are they the same?

David Stott
29-09-2008, 04:46 AM
David. No they are different as are the Telcos. At my house it's Vodafone/Ihug and at my friend's house it's Telecom/someone who's name I forget but a minor player. Which is why I say it would have to be Coromandel wide or at least Tairua wide to be my problem. This is why I want to test a) at a house where it's working and/or b) in Auckland. We are thinking of touring the South Island in November so if the problem is still outstanding, you may get a visit :-)

David

petestrash
29-09-2008, 03:39 PM
I haven't heard of anyone having the page loading issue that your having with this site, also haven't seen anyone in NZ having as many problems as you seem to getting a TiVo going.

The two issues do seem to point to a network issue either at your home or ISP.

Hopefully you can find someone in Auckland who can help out.

Peter.

David Stott
30-09-2008, 12:58 PM
One thing I don't understand is how my TiVo gets from 127.0.0.1 which is internal to my computer to 210.48.107.133 which is where I think the guide data is that my TiVo is failing to get a service from. A reminder that my error log looks like this:

Sep 30 14:30:28 (none) comm[155]: CommUtil: connection to host 127.0.0.1, port 8000, err 0x0
Sep 30 14:30:28 (none) comm[155]: read 384 bytes of upload data for FourOneOneRqst
Sep 30 14:30:28 (none) comm[155]: CommUtil: connection to host 127.0.0.1, port 8000, err 0x0
Sep 30 14:30:28 (none) comm[155]: read 1934 bytes of upload data for HServerRqst
Sep 30 14:33:25 (none) comm[155]: XferRqst timeout waiting to read

Is there somewhere else that this link is supposed to be being made?

Also, my cable guy suggested it might be a firewall issue but my router is set to allow ALL outgoing requests for service so that shouldn't be an issue.

David

David Stott
30-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Forget that. Of course it's via rc.sysinit.author. Been going over this so much, I'm going around in circles.

Have to test in another town, but no real hope of success. Very depressing.

David

David Stott
04-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Just a quick post to say I finally have found a solution. Actually changed two things and not sure yet which was crucial so will do more testing and then report fully once I'm certain so that it may help others. Also, while past the first problem of not connecting, it's still not through the "4 to 8 hours" step so can't confirm that everything works.

David

petestrash
04-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Sound promising, keep us informed.

Peter.

David Stott
05-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Not fully there yet but an update.

Have now proven conculsively that the problem was . . . . my phone line. Crackle in background led me to call my telco's line company to fix the line. Amazingly they came that same afternoon and found a "massive" fault which produced a very clear line when fixed. Both my TiVos have now been through GS without a hitch; the new one had a change to the parameters based on private info from a reader of this thread, but my old one had no changes from before. Both connected instantly when they got to the point where they previously failed.

What's interesting about this is that even before the line was fixed, I was having NO problem connecting via browser to the file sites and I could download slices using HTTP (or was it FTP) with no problems and at my normal speeds (about 1.3mbps). This suggests that the TiVo is far more dependent on clear telephone lines than a PC, something others may need to be aware of.

So now I get live TV via the TiVos and can make manual recordings.

I am still having a problem choosing the right parameters to get actual usable guide data and also can't get TiVo to change channels on my Topfield decoder. I've had advice from someone who also has Freeview satellite, but their parameters didn't result in success on the new TiVo, and I'm in the "4-8 hour reorganisation" part of the process on my old TiVo where I chose different (and I think more likely) parameters. Will report again once I've done further testing. I note that "Topfield" on it's own doesn't seem to be an option in settop box choice (it does have "OzTiVo Topfield" in the list of options but that didn't work at the channel changing point on my old machine and "Pace" didn't work on the new one). I'm sure lots of Aussies have Topfield decoders (mine's the TF4000Fi) so any advice on the option I should be choosing here would be helpful.

David

petestrash
05-10-2008, 09:39 PM
I haven't got an answer as to why noise on your line effected the TiVo's, but not the PC (though you said were also having issues with the forum). Your modem should handle these issues (assuming that they were only cabling related and not ISP), and the TiVo should have similar results to your pc as they are both using the same ethernet connection.

But glad that you have at least resolved that part.

Now with your IR problems, are you using IR wands or relying on the inbuilt blaster?

Peter.

David Stott
06-10-2008, 05:02 AM
I'm using the cable that plugs into the back of the TiVo and hangs over the front of my Topfield. I had to select something to move through GS so chose OzTiVo Topfield. Unfortunately a change/set channel request (which is sent when it starts recording a program) now sends a code which brings up the list of available channels from the TopField instead of changing or even keeping a channel. Since this takes up most of the screen and happens every time a new recording starts, the result is that I can't see what has been recorded, so I've removed the cable entirely for now.

Another effect is when I try to use my Harmony 885 remote (after TiVo my other can't-live-without - again way superior to the alternative universal remotes I've seen) to change channels. The TiVo goes momentarily blank and then comes back to the same channel (naturally since the Topfield isn't getting any message). The TiVo now thinks it's on the new channel (again naturally), but what is really strange is that it clears its recording buffer at the same time so the last half hour of live TV is lost. Now those with only TiVos may not realise, but one of the many advantages of TiVos over all other PVRs (well the ones I've seen such as the new Topfield PVR6000ES and MySky) is that it does not lose its buffer when you temporarily swap to watch a prerecorded program. That's right. If you start watching a program on either of the others, the recording buffer is cleared up to the time you return from watching the recording and you can't rewind over the bit of live TV you may have missed when you go back to live TV. It continually amazes me that the 12 (?) year old TiVo design is still way superior to the apparent best of what else is out there.

My second Freeview box is a SatMax whch I think has a CoStar interior so would be interested in anyone's advice on what that one should be set to.

The other big problem I need to resolve (actually even more inportant than the channel changing above) is how to change the IR codes on one of my TiVos. Without this, I can't actually have both powered up at the same time which sort of removes the whole point of having two of them :). I remember someone saying TiVo has 9 different code sets, but my searching so far brings up something called irslicecreator which sounds highly technical (although further reading suggests that is just for the set top box codes, not the TiVo's own ones?). My Integra amplifier comes with four different codecs built into the amp and remote, so if you get a second amp that you want in the same place, you simply tell the new amp to use codec 2 and then tell its remote to do the same thing. So I was hoping the TiVo process would be as simple.

David

David Stott
06-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Ok, problem of controlling two TiVo's separately is well addressed here (for those who don't already know):

http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/IR/ControlTwoTiVosInSameRoom

Works very simply and completely. Obviously the zero setting controls ALL TiVos which is why you have to change settings on both, not just one.

However, that also means I now have to update my Harmony to control two separate TiVo's and hoping they already have the codes for that. But not this forum's problem from here.

So now I still need to understand how to get the correct settings to control the set top boxes.

NB the new TiVo is still not getting the guide, so at very least I need to rerun GS with the settings I used on my old TiVo. Would prefer to wait though until I know what set top box to choose for SatMax. If there is no obvious answer to this (it's not a box that's well supported here, even from the guys I got it from), I might consider getting a new STB as it also has a serious problem of wrong aspect ratios which no-one has been able to help me with. For $100 or so, I might be better off getting a new TiVo friendly one. Any recommendations of what others like?

David

catdog
06-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Lots of info about IR control can be found here:
http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/IR/WebHome

Generally if the codes in the list don't work (i.e. you tried all the different numbers under OzTiVo Topfield), then you'll have to capture them yourself from the STB remote. This can be a real test of patience... sometimes it is straight forward and everything works, but other times it is a complete nightmare. There are a few different ways to capture the codes, I guess the best place to start is here:
http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/IR/CaptureIrCodesWithIrSliceCreator

Alternatively, as you have realised, just buy a STB that someone else is already using! I have the "official" Hills one, but I wouldn't recommend it as there are plenty of others for about half the price. Do a search on these forums as the question of which STB everyone is using has definitely been asked before.

petestrash
06-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Another effect is when I try to use my Harmony 885 remote to change channels. The TiVo goes momentarily blank and then comes back to the same channel (naturally since the Topfield isn't getting any message). The TiVo now thinks it's on the new channel (again naturally), but what is really strange is that it clears its recording buffer at the same time so the last half hour of live TV is lost.

This is normal and cannot be changed. It even still behaves like this in the latest TiVo models.

I think your other questions have already been answered.

Peter.

David Stott
06-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks Peter and catdog. Still trying to let Harmony software through Windows and Router Firewalls to update Harmony Remote (at least I think that's my problem) and will move on to set top box problems tomorrow.

One other thing that seems to have changed, but maybe it's a setting somewhere I can alter. I used to love the fact that the default recording setting was 5 minutes before and 10 minutes after except for in between contiguous programs. That seems to have vanished and everything now starts and stops on the dot. Is there a way to get this feature back?

David

petestrash
06-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Endpad should be automatic, but will crash if there are not at least 2 shows in the todo list.

So make sure you have set at least 2 shows, then just reboot to restart it.

Peter.

David Stott
07-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Peter. Nope, still not working. Have looked at the disk and can't find Endpad. Where should it be and what should be in it?

David

David Stott
07-10-2008, 02:39 PM
OK, found Endpadplus in /hack/bin and assume that's it. Have read Readme and am stymied by instructions which imply that it either should be copied to or is already in /usr/local/epp but can't find any directory called /usr. Surely I'm not supposed to create it?

David

petestrash
07-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm not too familar with the NZ image. But endpadplus is what we used to use a few years ago, until they upgraded enpad, which is what we now use.

Either way endpad should be set to start automatically on the NZ image.

look in the endpad logs in tivoweb and it should tell you why it is failing.

Peter.

David Stott
08-10-2008, 10:13 AM
One step forward and two steps back!!!!!!!!!! Life just doesn't go in straight lines.

Harmony remote working beautifully. As of yesterday afternoon, controlling both TiVo's separately and completely. Set up two top level activities "TV via TiVo 250" and "TV via TiVo 120". Easy to swap between them, record different channels, watch live TV on either, etc. Still haven't got the channel changing working but not a big deal since that was where I was beforehand and can leave 250GB TiVo on TV1 which is what we mainly watch and use other TiVo for occasional use of other channels.

And then TiVo250 (my original) just seized. Rebooted and it ran for a while but then seized again. Now permanently dead. Pretty sure it's the disk as am getting same screen I got when I had forgotten to plug disk cables in, reimaging makes no difference, and swapping disk from one TiVo to other (plus LAN vs wireless card) had 120GB disk coming up fine in 250GB chassis.

So I need a new disk. While I'd like a terabyte disk, they are all now SATA, not IDE. Does anyone know if you can use a SATA disk in a TiVo with a converter plug? Or is it impractical? I see there are still 750GB IDE drives available (more expensive than SATA), so may go that way instead.

David

Darren King
08-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I would not recommend using the sata-ide converters. I tried a couple and could not get them to function. In all honestly you will have two TiVo's so I can't see 750GB not being enough :)

petestrash
08-10-2008, 05:56 PM
I agree with Darren, I have only seen 1 SATA-IDE convertor that worked with an S1 TiVo, and have not been able to find any more since.

Even recording in Best quality I doubt that you would need more than 500Gb.

Peter.