PDA

View Full Version : Thompson setup help please

Ray
25-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I've brought my UK Thompson TiVo from the UK to NZ. I've downloaded the nzTiVo-Thomson-Installer-Dec06RC1.iso file and restoring the image to my 300GB disk but need help on the installation. I see some OzTivo info around but no detailed info for the Thompon or NZ. Perhaps not looking hard enough?

I got as far as Network when got confused. Very much a newbie and need a real idiots guide to help me set it up. As far as I know it is an old Tivo which all I've done is put a 300GB dive in. Know there are issues but can anyone help get me going?

Skolink
25-08-2008, 07:35 PM
When you say "got as far as network" you mean during the disk imaging process? What type of network card do you have?

These instructions are mostly applicable to Thompson TiVos (I think) I only have US units.
http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Install/WebHome

Also note that you need to use different postcodes with the Thompson units, 2120 through 2128.
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=912

TyKahu
25-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I've brought my UK Thompson TiVo from the UK to NZ. I've downloaded the nzTiVo-Thomson-Installer-Dec06RC1.iso file and restoring the image to my 300GB disk but need help on the installation. I see some OzTivo info around but no detailed info for the Thompon or NZ. Perhaps not looking hard enough?

I got as far as Network when got confused. Very much a newbie and need a real idiots guide to help me set it up. As far as I know it is an old Tivo which all I've done is put a 300GB dive in. Know there are issues but can anyone help get me going?

I've just recently been through setting up my Thompson TiVo with the same image. It took a while, but it's all up and running - sweetly I might add - with a lot of help from the forum.

I have a Thompson TiVo, using the Dec06 RC1 image, with a 250Gb harddrive, and a TurboNet ethernet adapter. The IP address is statically assigned to fit within my home network space.

My questions/pointers are:
1a. When you imaged your harddrive, did you set the swap file to 150Mb or more? See post http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1892 where I had problems with "Failed while loading series" in the first download. Setting the Swapfile size to 256Mb solved this problem for me.

1b. Do you have a TurboNet card? Another problem I encountered was the TiVo couldn't get past the default gateway. So another post helped me fix this by executing the "route.tivo add default gw <<my.default.gw.ip.address>>". I added this to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author, again as part of the re-image process (under Network, which is probably where you are???). See http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1876

1c. Also, as part of the re-image process, and again under the "Network" menu option, I modified the "rc.net" file and changed the "timing=" value to "timing=16". You will find this recommendation in a number of posts from from Darren King

2. The postcodes and sources took me a while to understand - and I'm still not sure that I actually do. What are your sources? I am using a Kaon KSF-570 Freeview STB, but I also successfully configured for a Saturn / TelstraClear Analogue service.

2a. For the Freeview setup, I used "Aerial + Digital Satellite" with a postcode of 02110

2b. For the Saturn Analogue setup, I used "Aerial + Analogue Cable" with a postcode of 02115

3. You will also find that the time will be 1 hour out. See http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1539. You will need to download the two zipfiles from this post. They are the "ntpdate.zip" and "postcodezones.zip". After you've FTP'ed them to your TiVo, you need to execute

ntpdate -vb 210.48.107.133 - which is the ip address of the NZ server

dbsetx /Setup TimeZone 0
dbsetx /Setup DaylightSavingsPolicy 0
reboot

I hope this helps, but if you're still stuck, lost, or need more help, then send me a "Private Message" (click on my name, select appropriate item from the drop down menu).

Ray
26-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Network card? What network card? I've just opened my Tivo and that's what I have. A motherboard and a hard drive. Do I need more add ons?

I am very new to this so want ultra simple, plain English please if anyone can help. Swamped by acronyms I don't understand and techspeak that goes over my head. But love my Tivo and missing it dreadfully. Has probably had the biggest influence on my lifestyle than anything else in the last 8 years! Apart from moving to NZ.

Darren King
26-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Network card? What network card? I've just opened my Tivo and that's what I have. A motherboard and a hard drive. Do I need more add ons?

Unlike how you would traditionally use a TiVo in the UK or USA via dialup telephone connection, the standard way for Australia and NZ is to use a network connection. To do this you need a network card. Try searching for the word "Turbonet" or "Cachecard".

petestrash
26-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Just by the way, you don't have to use a network card. You can still set up using the modem and a dial up account. It's a little more messy, but possible.

But using a network card is much easier and better for tweaking your TiVo.

Peter.

TyKahu
27-08-2008, 04:31 AM

I am very new to this so want ultra simple, plain English please if anyone can help. Swamped by acronyms I don't understand and techspeak that goes over my head. But love my Tivo and missing it dreadfully. Has probably had the biggest influence on my lifestyle than anything else in the last 8 years! Apart from moving to NZ.

I hear what you're saying, and I apologise for being an idiot and assuming way too much. Until recently, I knew nothing about the pointers and stuff I've written about. My first TiVo (2006) was built for me by a friend and was plug and play!!! About a month ago I bought a Thompson TiVo and with the help of various members of this forum I learned what the techspeak meant, and a whole lot more techno-babble, and techie-gobble-de-gook. I also learnt how to get it up and running.

In plain and simple English, unless you have a network card, I can't help any further. Others will be able to, but I only know the one way ... with a network card. With one of these babies under the hood - they're a piece of cake to install, I can happily talk you through the rest ... in plain and simple English ... Oops, I'm assuming you have some sort of internet connectivity and a PC/Laptop computer at home (or where-ever the TiVo is)??

Ray
27-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks all - I've ordered a CacheCard, seemed the best option. So guess I need to wait for that to arrive before I can annoy you all some more.

Thanks for now

BenMorgan
29-08-2008, 06:08 AM
Just by the way, you don't have to use a network card. You can still set up using the modem and a dial up account. It's a little more messy, but possible.

But using a network card is much easier and better for tweaking your TiVo.

Peter.

who has dial up these days?? :)

petestrash
29-08-2008, 04:31 PM
There are actually quite a few TiVo's contacting our server that are on dial-up. The vast majority seem to be for peoples parents who do not have broadband internet, and either just use their existing dial-up account or even set up a new one just for TiVo.

These people do not tinker or extract shows so it works fine for them, and it's cheaper to setup and run.

Peter.