PDA

View Full Version : ?how to convert pronto neo IR codes

NetMedic
02-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Well, as no-one has been able to help me with codes for the austar flinders box, I decided to go the long way around.

My tivo couldn't capture useable codes so I ordered a philips pronto from the USA and captured the codes that way. The Neo works just fine, controlling my STB. I dowloaded the codes to my pc to work on them and......

I discovered that my pronto NEO does not generate ccf files, it generates ncf files. These are not compatible with the ccf decompiler programs which are the usual way of extracting codes, nor does the neo software allow access to the codes themselves.

After a bit of poking around, I found some neo hacking software and have extracted codes in the following format:

digit 1: 0 f 6c 65 a8 6 a 16 10 f 1c 3f 6f bc 76 84 44 38 12 21 c2 4 c3 f0 d

each code is in hex like the above. Also I don't see a frequency indicator, but I'm prepared to fiddle about to find that, manually.

Does anyone have an idea how to process these codes for the tivo? It'll save me sending off to the US for a more recent tivo! Thanks.

NetMedic.

petestrash
02-08-2008, 06:59 PM
I can't help with pronto stuff, but I getting a newer TiVo from the US will not make any difference to your problem as the codes are loaded from our server and if we don't have any working codes for your STB then you are in the same situation.

Peter.

T1voZA
02-08-2008, 09:17 PM
digit 1: 0 f 6c 65 a8 6 a 16 10 f 1c 3f 6f bc 76 84 44 38 12 21 c2 4 c3 f0 dThe above HEX codes do not correlate to the HEX format required when converting Pronto ccf codes.

The good news is that you're halfway there. Using NeoHacker (http://neohacker.sourceforge.net/), open up the .ncf file from your Neo remote. Select "File -> Save As" and set "Files of type" to "RC3200 Configuration Files (*.ncf)".

To open the new file, you'll need to download the Marantz "RC3200 Set Up Software (http://us.marantz.com/689.asp?category=RemoteControl&model=RC3200&go.x=16&go.y=8)". Note that the Marantz RC3200 software can conflict with NEOedit software resulting in no labels being displayed when viewing your remotes config file. The simplest solution to this is to install the Marantz RC3200 software on a different machine or on a virtual machine (e.g. VMWare).

Once you have the Marantz RC3200 software installed, open up the new .ncf file created by NeoHacker. You can now access the remotes HEX codes in CCF format by selecting the device, then double click on the relevant page, double click on the required button, double click on "Learned IR Code" and then click "Edit IR" from where you can copy the HEX code in CCF format :cool:

NetMedic
02-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Wow, what technical giants we have reading this forum

Thanks, TivoZA

I'll have a go at this in the morning, it's now 12:42 am!

Cheers, and G'Day, mate

Chris :)

NetMedic
03-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi there
Thanks to T1voZa for that

After a few minutes in a dark closet with 2 remotes, and an explanation to my wife about what was going on, I've now got the tcl file sorted. The codes look "right" with no silly wrong looking numbers in it.

However, following instructions in section 4 of "irconversionmoredetail" in the IR wiki, I find I'm supposed to load the tcl into the following directory: /var/hack/guide/stb

Unfortunately, /var/hack/guide does not have a /stb subdirectory on my tivo image, which I believe is the latest. Does this affect what I do, or do I just run the tivosh commands from /var/hack/guide, and leave my tcl there?

I had set my tivo up to use the original 30017 codes, so if I follow the irconversionmoredetail system presumably I shouldn't need to run lssources, as long as I go into tivosh and replace them with my new tcl file, which is set up for 30017? Am I right?

Thanks for the continued help

Chris.

T1voZA
03-08-2008, 11:53 PM
However, following instructions in section 4 of "irconversionmoredetail" in the IR wiki, I find I'm supposed to load the tcl into the following directory: /var/hack/guide/stb

Unfortunately, /var/hack/guide does not have a /stb subdirectory on my tivo image, which I believe is the latest. Does this affect what I do, or do I just run the tivosh commands from /var/hack/guide, and leave my tcl there?It doesn't matter where you store the tcl file containing the IR codes as when you execute the file it will upload the codes to your TiVo's MFS database.

I had set my tivo up to use the original 30017 codes, so if I follow the irconversionmoredetail system presumably I shouldn't need to run lssources, as long as I go into tivosh and replace them with my new tcl file, which is set up for 30017? Am I right?Correct, since you've used the same codes there is no reason to perform the lssources step. However, since you've used an already existing IR code, your new IR code settings in the TiVo MFS database will be erased when the ozTiVo IR slice is next updated. As such once you're happy that the codes are working, do yourself a favour and go back and set the CableBoxCodeNum to an unused value (this time round you'll need to perform the lssources step).

petestrash
04-08-2008, 12:10 AM
And once they have been running for a week and you are happy with them, please upload (http://www.oztivo.net/tivo-bin/irdatabase.cgi?cmd=upload) them to our database so I can include them in the next slice.

Peter.

NetMedic
05-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi there

Please could someone please have a look at these tcl files I've created.

I've tried them a few times and each time my machine has crashed after reboot. I'm not sure why. The codes look good. I do realise that digit7 is a shorter code than the rest but I've checked it with my pronto and I know it works.

To load the tcl to my tivo I used the irconversionmoredetail method:

cd /var/hack/guide/
tivosh
%source altech4.tcl (which of course is in the correct directory, d'uh!)
%loadcodes

(I then get the prompts contained in the tcl file, suggesting successful load, then I type CTRL-D to finish)

reboot after loading my codes causes the tivo to go into a repeating boot-reboot cycle. Rather than mess about, out comes the HD and into my pc for re imaging! I'm quite good at this now and can reimage and reinstall a drive in about 10 mins. I wish I hadn't had a much practice!! :D

Please check both copies as I created them independently.

Thanks

Chris

T1voZA
05-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Please could someone please have a look at these tcl files I've created.There doesn't appear to be any apparent problems with the code.

Your IR codes all send the command for a repeat keypress but not for a single keypress. This is not necessarily a problem and many remotes only have IR codes for the repeat keypress and not for a single keypress. I assume you did this but if you were to try and learn the codes again, press the button you wish to learn on your Neo remote and only then press and hold the button on the remote from which you are learning (keep the button from which you are learning pressed for the entire duration of the learning process, until you hear a beep).

Given the fact that the commands work on your Pronto remote but not on the TiVo, it might be the case that the TiVo is trying to send the single keypress command of which there isn't one and hence it's crashing. You can switch your Pronto single keypress and repeat keypress commands around by ticking the "switch sequences" checkbox next to "Burst pairs" when using the IR conversion at:
http://tivoza.nanfo.com/wiki/index.php/IR_Convert

Once you've uploaded the generated file to your TiVo, simply type:

./ir_codes.tclThe above command will upload the new codes to your TiVo's MFS, it will also give you the exact command to run to get your TiVo to make use of the new codes so no more fiddling around with lssources.

T1voZA
05-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Could you upload a copy of both your Neo codes as well as the extracted CCF codes that you used for conversion. I'm busy testing some Pronto 2 Neo conversion code and more test cases would be useful.

NetMedic
05-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Of my brain.....!

Sorry T1voZA

First off, I tried to use the tivo to learn the codes using it's IR sensor, along with some very ragged beta linux software, and I soon learned that holding the button down on the remote sending the code to the tivo was definitely a bad idea....

So when I used the pronto, I naturally tried to send quick individual codes to it with short taps of the button on the "sending" remote. The pronto would have none of this and I had to hold the key down on the "sending" remote to get the pronto to capture the code. If I tried to be too snappy with the button I got an error on the "receiving" pronto. All this was in a fairly dark closet (which attracted the attention of my wife but you don't need to know more about that of course! :) )

Thanks for the link to the .za page. I will have a bash with it and let you know how I get on. I generally have noscript enabled in my firefox browser so when I first looked the page made absolutely no sense at all. Scripts can be evil things and I like to keep control of them.

Thanks for your continued help with this...

Chris

I had a go with the converter: starting with my digit 0 "invalid pronto code entered, sequence length is incorrect"

I had entered:

0 54 0 18 22 15 9 15 9 33 9 15 9 15 9 42 9 33 9 15 9 15 9 33 9 33 9 24 9 33 9 15 9 15 9 15 9 15 9 4866

into digit 0 box.

and of course the resulting tivo script file

"" setIr $tivoir "Dig0" "null" ""

not very helpful!

Hmm.... now what do I do?

Please, as you know how to use the converter and my files are here for you to see, could you let me know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Please excuse my frustration. I've been at this IR codes issue for weeks.....

NetMedic
05-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi again

Thanks for asking for my files

However, as my codes are not working, I'm not sure you would find them helpful in working out an algorhythm to back convert from pronto codes to neo.

Please confirm that you really do want my codes and I will send them...

I'm an amateur and neophyte. I Don't want to 'contaminate' your system!

Chris.

T1voZA
05-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I had a go with the converter: starting with my digit 0 "invalid pronto code entered, sequence length is incorrect"

I had entered:

0 54 0 18 22 15 9 15 9 33 9 15 9 15 9 42 9 33 9 15 9 15 9 33 9 33 9 24 9 33 9 15 9 15 9 15 9 15 9 4866

into digit 0 box.

and of course the resulting tivo script file

"" setIr $tivoir "Dig0" "null" ""You need to enter the codes in Pronto CCF format (i.e. the codes extracted when viewing your .ncf file in the Marantz RC3200 editor). An example of this would be a code like:

0000 006E 0012 0012 0009 0021 0009 0050 0009 0026 0009 006A 0009 0030
0009 0030 0009 0030 0009 0045 0009 01E6 0009 0021 0009 005B 0009 001C
0009 0026 0009 001C 0009 0021 0009 001C 0009 001C 0009 0C35 0009 0021
0009 0050 0009 0026 0009 006A 0009 0030 0009 0030 0009 0030 0009 0045
0009 01E6 0009 0021 0009 0030 0009 0045 0009 0026 0009 001C 0009 0021
0009 001C 0009 001C 0009 0C35

T1voZA
05-08-2008, 08:18 PM
However, as my codes are not working, I'm not sure you would find them helpful in working out an algorhythm to back convert from pronto codes to neo.

Please confirm that you really do want my codes and I will send them...Yip, I would still like them :D

I've already written the code and algorithms, there are a number of IR format permutations possible so having extra test cases will help validate the code even if the captured codes aren't valid.

NetMedic
06-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi T1voZA

Attached are my codes. There isn't a ccf file because I cut and pasted codes direct from the marantz software, into your script pages to get the tcl file.

first file is raw data from the neoedit software
the "hacked" codes are the output from neohack software
the third file contains the hex codes from the marantz software.

Unfortunately, no guarantees about any of these files having usable or correct information in them.

Hope they interest you though. Thanks for your help.

Chris.

T1voZA
06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Hope they interest you though. Thanks for your help.Yip, looks they they will be useful as they contain a different format to the codes I have been testing. Would I be correct in assuming the DBS device codes correlate to the hex codes extracted from the Marantz software?

Unfortunately, no guarantees about any of these files having usable or correct information in them.I take it switching the burst pairs didn't solve the problem?

NetMedic
08-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi T1voZA

I've not tried the pair codes yet.

You're right about the DBS codes being the ones I'm using. Sorry for not making that clear.

I'll have a go with these codes later tomorrow, and let you know how I get on.

Best wishes and thanks again

Chris.

NetMedic
09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi T1voZA

I think the codes may be OK but there is something wrong with the way I'm importing them to my tivo.

I've got the tivo operating with the supplied codes 30017. These don't work with my stb but I have to choose something in guided setup to complete the setup.

I then reboot the tivo, and via serial port go to /var/hack/guides. I upload my tcl file there using zmodem and check it using "joe" text editor. My tcl file is set to 30017 to replace the codes already loaded.

then I run

tivosh
%source altech4.tcl
loadcodes

this then completes with the correct 'puts' to the screen

Then I type "ctrl-d" to exit tivosh.

Then restart the tivo.

When the tivo restarts it gets into a boot-reboot cycle.

I wonder if the tcl file I've written has an error in it. I can't see how it would keep rebooting when all I've done is change the IR codes?? I haven't even used the codes, so unless the tivo sends them on boot, it shouldn't crash, unless my tcl file is doing something else in addition to changing the codes.

Please help!!

Chris.

I'm going to try entering the codes manually using tridge's method of writing them directly to tty2, just to test them... hopefully without crashing the machine this way.

petestrash
09-08-2008, 02:31 PM
The TiVo does send a channel change after boot, to get it to a known state.

You may want to change the number used to 29998, as 30017 will be over written by a new slice (which I happened to make today also).

Peter.

NetMedic
09-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi again, from frustrated of Tasmania.

Thanks Pete: But I'm not at all fussed about upcoming slices, unless of course someone has saved me the pain of getting some flinders codes which work, and put them in the slice.

I don't have any codes which work yet, so I don't care if my codes are overwritten. To be honest, I'm getting to the stage now where I feel like overwriting the entire tivo HD with something more useful! I'll worry about the cable box code number once I get something working. I've had requests from all over the place for flinders codes. Only myself seems to be working on it. Me, who knowns next to nothing about the tivo, or linux for that matter.

I've been trying to find where, in the tivo image, the list of cable box codes is located, so I can play with that directly, rather than using scripts which seem not to work. But I can't find where, on the tivo image, the stb codes live. I've looked all over the wiki and can't find this information. The wiki says something about a /stb sudirectory, which seems not to exist in the current image, I've searched all over for that.

I really don't mind reimaging my drive (probably now for the 20th time) and then changing the stb code file to use my own codes, before I complete guided setup.

I'm fed up of scripts which don't work, and scripts which result in a brick rather than a tivo. Unfortunately I don't know linux scripts well enough to pick out the faults in them. It seems a lot of stuff on the wiki relates to old images and when I try to use the scripts blind, either the directory doesn't exist on the new image, some file or proc doesn't exist, or I get a "permission denied" error despite setting the file system to read/write.

So pete, you could really help me by letting me know where the stb ir codes are located in the current image, if you have that information.

To my friend T1voZA

I tried the ir_codes.tcl file and of course set my file system to read/write before I started

./ir_codes.tcl

"permission denied"

what?!

I went to the mfslib.tcl file and checked and yes, it's read/write enabled.

Now what do I do???!!!

Chris.
the ir_codes.tcl file is appended. Does this look right? This is the code downloaded form T1voZA's irconvert page with "switch sequences" ticked.

T1voZA
09-08-2008, 05:56 PM
I tried the ir_codes.tcl file and of course set my file system to read/write before I started

./ir_codes.tcl

"permission denied"You need to first give the file execute permission, then you may execute it, this can be done as follows:

chmod 755 ir_codes.tcl
./ir_codes.tcl

the ir_codes.tcl file is appended. Does this look right? This is the code downloaded form T1voZA's irconvert page with "switch sequences" ticked.Your 'ir_codes.tcl' file looks fine, the device number is set to '30002' which means you will need to run the dbset command (as explained when executing the script) in order for your TiVo to make use of the new codes.

I've been trying to find where, in the tivo image, the list of cable box codes is located, so I can play with that directly, rather than using scripts which seem not to work. But I can't find where, on the tivo image, the stb codes live. I've looked all over the wiki and can't find this information. The wiki says something about a /stb sudirectory, which seems not to exist in the current image, I've searched all over for that.The cable codes are stored within the TiVo's MFS (i.e. it's proprietary database). You can view all the stored codes in TivoWeb from the following address:
http://yourtivoip/mfs/Component/Ir/TivoFormat

Since the MFS isn't editable, the only way in which to update the codes is by updating the MFS records and thus the need for the scripts.

I'm fed up of scripts which don't work, and scripts which result in a brick rather than a tivo. Unfortunately I don't know linux scripts well enough to pick out the faults in them. It seems a lot of stuff on the wiki relates to old images and when I try to use the scripts blind, either the directory doesn't exist on the new image, some file or proc doesn't exist, or I get a "permission denied" error despite setting the file system to read/write.To solve the problem of the new codes corrupting your MFS and causing a reboot loop, rather test the ir codes without uploading them into the mfs.

To achive this, first do the following:

mkdir /hack/ircodes
cd /hack/ircodes
wget tivoza.nanfo.com/downloads/testcodes.tgz
tar -xzvf testcodes.tgzYou only need to perform the above once.

To make use of the above, you need to supply it with a codeset file. You can create the codeset file using the "IR Convert (http://tivoza.nanfo.com/wiki/index.php/IR_Convert)" webpage in the same manner as which you created the "ir_codes.tcl" file but this time set the "Output format" to "TiVo codes". Download the generated "ir.codes" file and ftp it to your TiVo's '/hack/ircodes' directory (created above).

You can now test each button code by typing the following:

cd /hack/ircodes
./irlock testcode.tcl ir.codes Dig1
./irlock testcode.tcl ir.codes Dig2
./irlock testcode.tcl ir.codes Dig3
./irlock testcode.tcl ir.codes Dig4
./irlock testcode.tcl ir.codes Dig5
./irlock testcode.tcl ir.codes Dig6
./irlock testcode.tcl ir.codes Dig7
./irlock testcode.tcl ir.codes Dig8
./irlock testcode.tcl ir.codes Dig9
./irlock testcode.tcl ir.codes Dig0The script will execute the specifed button 10 times.

By performing the above you'll now be able to test new codes simply by uploading a new ir.codes file. No need for updating the MFS and no need for rebooting at any stage.

When testing your codes, you may find that one of the codes causes your TiVo to reboot. This won't cause your TiVo to go into a reboot loop cycle but it does indicate that the learnt code is erroneous and if adjusting it's "burst pairs" settings (using the "IR Convert (http://tivoza.nanfo.com/wiki/index.php/IR_Convert)" webpage) doesn't help fix the codes, you'll need to relearn the code.

I would suggest you create some test code files using the following "burst pairs" settings:
Retain all sequences
Remove single press sequence
Remove repeat sequence
Retain all sequences + switch sequences
Remove single press sequence + switch sequences
Remove repeat sequence + switch sequences

NetMedic
09-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi T1voZA.

Just to thank you for all your help. I'm going to try your suggestions tomorrow.

Unfortunately, my tivo is not connected to a network. I can't get a cable to it where it is in the living room. I do have a turbonzet card but even if I fit it, I would have to move the tivo from the living room to my office where the network is, and there's no way of testing the IR blaster from there when the STB is in the living room. Hence I'm doing all my editing and uploading via the tivo's serial port and use zmodem which mostly works ok. This way I can keep the tivo close the the stb and test the ir blaster. I keep my notebook near the tivo and run backwards and forwards to it with the files on a thumb drive. I get my guide data via the modem dial up system as there is a phone line near the tivo in the living room. And my guide data arrives very nicely every day as it should.

However, you will deduce from all this that I can't elegantly call the tivo box via tivoweb and operate it remotely. I'm doing some real hacking!

Despite all this, I think I can suss out a way of getting the files you suggest, into the box. It'll take a bit of time and effort though!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help.

Chris.

NetMedic
09-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi again T1voZA

Do I need to kill switcherstart before testing the codes with irlock?

I've noticed that killing switcherstart sometimes causes my tivo to freeze, resulting in the need to "pull the plug out" to reboot.

Are there any other processes I should kill before testing the ir codes?

Thanks

Chris.

T1voZA
10-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Despite all this, I think I can suss out a way of getting the files you suggest, into the box.I assume you uploaded the previous scripts via FTP? You can do the same for the above files, simply skip the wget line and download the testcodes.tgz (http://tivoza.nanfo.com/downloads/testcodes.tgz) from your PC then upload to your TiVo via FTP.

Do I need to kill switcherstart before testing the codes with irlock?
Are there any other processes I should kill before testing the ir codes?Nope and nope ;)

NetMedic
10-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi again

Erm.... I've been using zmodem. Presumably if I'm going to use ftp across the serial link, I will need an IP address for the tivo? I'll also need to know how to log in! Such simple stuff... but I'm having to learn linux as I go. Sorry for being a numbskull! The idea of tcp/ip across serial makes me feel all weak and shivery! Mind you, that's what we used to do with external modems, in effect.

I don't think mein tivo has an IP address. I looked on the system pages and it says 0.0.0.0. :confused: That's because I set it up to use it's internal modem to access guide data.

I've never used ftp directly across a serial link. This is a new thing to me!

I tend to use coreftp lite for my web site management. If I can work out how to use it across a serial link then I'm laughing! :)

Chris.
PS do you want to continue this by email instead of forum postings?

NetMedic
10-08-2008, 12:12 PM
OK I've had a bash with irlock testing codes.

I tested every permutation of retain or remove codes and switch codes. The results as follows:

retain all sequences remove single remove repeat

not switched + + *

switched code length error code length error code length error

Key:

+ ---------------- These are sending codes to the ir blaster which I can see with the camcorder. The STB is not seeing them at all

* ----------------- This combination gave the following result when I put my codes through the irconvert page:

Dig0: 0 55 0 0
Dig1: 0 55 0 0
Dig2: 0 55 0 0
Dig3: 0 55 0 0
Dig4: 0 55 0 0
Dig5: 0 55 0 0
Dig6: 0 55 0 0
Dig7: 0 55 0 0
Dig8: 0 55 0 0
Dig9: 0 55 0 0

I didn't even think it worth trying these codes.

I've noticed that even when the IR blaster is transmitting, the stb is not seeing it. The stb has a led which lights when it sees a code, working or not. This leads me to believe that the FREQUENCY of the ir codes is wrong. I also note that the stb "sees" something when I use the digit keys on my tivo remote.
So I did a bit of detective work. Unplugged the ir blaster. No, the stb is not seeing the codes from the tivo peanut remote, but it IS seeing codes sent from the ir blaster. Hmm. This could mean that the that the the stb I chose during guided setup has codes with at least approximately the right frequency....
So I'm going to play with the code frequency and see what happens.
Strange... I thought the pronto neo picked up the frequency as well as the codes... am I wrong???

NetMedic
10-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi again.

I've tried using irlock, and every permutation of irconvert codes. None of the codes I have captured work.

I found that the austar atlas code "dig1", as listed in the oztivo IR database, successfully sends a code "4" to the stb via the ir blaster. This is reliable, even using the irlock method.

Hence the frequency is 55, but the codes from my pronto neo (which I've captured repeatedly with consistent results) are not being converted correctly to tivo codes using the combination of neohacker, marantz software, and IRconvert. The neo controls the stb just fine, so it looks like the conversion system is faulty.

Any suggestions?

Do I have to obtain a more recent pronto, and capture the codes that way??

Is there a util to directly convert neo codes to pronto?

Chris.

T1voZA
10-08-2008, 03:43 PM
PS do you want to continue this by email instead of forum postings?Leaving it forum based allows it to serve as a reference for others trying to achieve the same purpose.

I thought the pronto neo picked up the frequency as well as the codes... am I wrong???
Do I have to obtain a more recent pronto, and capture the codes that way??

Is there a util to directly convert neo codes to pronto?The neo remote does learn the frequency. At present, the only way to convert neo codes to pronto format is via the Marantz RC3200.

It's very likely that the problems you are having lie with the conversion methods and not with the actual learnt codes or the TiVo. When writing my own Neo2Pronto & Pronto2Neo conversions there seemed to be little consistency between what has been written about the conversion and what the Marantz software outputs as far as the Lead In & Lead Out codes are concerned. Given the fact that the Lead In codes are what your decoder is waiting for before it will respond to the inputted command this may very well be the cause of the problem.

What I can tell you is that I have reliably captured 4 remotes (44 buttons) using the Neo -> Marantz -> IR Conversion method so there is hope :rolleyes:

So I did a bit of detective work. Unplugged the ir blaster. No, the stb is not seeing the codes from the tivo peanut remote, but it IS seeing codes sent from the ir blaster. Hmm. This could mean that the that the the stb I chose during guided setup has codes with at least approximately the right frequency....
So I'm going to play with the code frequency and see what happens.
Strange... To test the complete range of frequencies, download the testcodes.tgz (http://tivoza.nanfo.com/downloads/testcodes.tgz) again (I've updated it) and install it as above (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=13137#post13137). This time call 'testfreq.tcl' instead of 'testcode.tcl', what this will do is try each frequency from 1 to 100 for the specified button. So for button 1, type:

./irlock testfreq.tcl ir.codes Dig1

NetMedic
10-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi there

I understand and appreciate your public spiritedness in keeping this discussion open.

I don't think fiddling with the frequencies is going to help, because the stb successfully picks up the ir blaster using an atlas code with the second code in the tivo code sequence set to "55".

However I appreciate your time and effort so will give your new code testing software a go.

What we need are codes which work. I think we already have the frequency. I've actually tried the 10 most common code frequencies, as listed in "ircapturingcodeswithtivo" in the oztivo IR twiki. The atlas codes are set to 55, and as previously stated, digit 1 of this series successfully inputs a digit 4 to the flinders box. So I assume that the frequency must be OK. Plus the atlas and flinders use the same remote control (although the slide switch in the battery compartment has to be changed over).

Unless you know differently! After all, I'm the newbie and I defer to your superior knowledge and experience.

Chris.
Is there a way of determining the lead in and lead out codes, from the one working code we already have?
0 55 0 18 21 17 8 17 8 35 8 17 8 17 8 44 8 35 8 17 8 17 8 17 8 35 8 24 8 35 8 17 8 17 8 17 8 24 8 4940

this is the one which gives us a "4"

The digit codes are fully listed under austar atlas in the ir codes database.

anynamebuttpg
10-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Any further joy with the Flinders IR codes? I attempted using your attached files (and I'm not too good at this stuff), however I also noticed that when I got into guided setup mode and attempted to change to 'Austar Oztivo' using code 30017, it too rebooted my tivo. If you have anything else you want me to test (also as a Flinders STB sufferer) let me know

NetMedic
10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Sorry my friend.

This is proving to be a knotty problem.

Keep an eye on this thread. I think we'll get there in the end.

:)

T1voZA
11-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Is there a way of determining the lead in and lead out codes, from the one working code we already have?
0 55 0 18 21 17 8 17 8 35 8 17 8 17 8 44 8 35 8 17 8 17 8 17 8 35 8 24 8 35 8 17 8 17 8 17 8 24 8 4940There are two sets of IR codes in the attached zip file, the first just changes the lead out value from 4866 to 4940. The second file replaces all common patterns with the pattern from working austar atlas code.

anynamebuttpg
11-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I have taken the IR2 codes from your last post and cut and pasted them into the following TCL file and tested.

Now I definetely don't know what I'm doing and take my hat off to all those with this outstanding technical knowledge, BUT I'm trying to help as much as I can.

I loaded the following file in and ran the Tivosh routine etc. Put the tivo into guided setup mode, changed the sat box to Austar Oztivo, selected 30071 and tested a channel, tivo did not pop up the bo saying what channel its attempting to change to, nor did it appear to send any IR. just hung for 3 seconds then rebooted itself.

Again, trying to help, hope it does

NetMedic
11-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I know exactly how you feel.

Been there and done that.

I'm going to do what tivoza suggested and try all the frequencies with my digit 1 code.

If that leads nowhere, then I'm going back to the beginning and getting the tivo itself to collect the codes. The main drawback with this method is that the tivo doesn't capture the code frequency. As this is very likely 55, we have the most important missing piece of the puzzle.

best of luck

Chris.

T1voZA
12-08-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm going to do what tivoza suggested and try all the frequencies with my digit 1 code.Try the codes in the above attachment (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=13151#post13151) first.

NetMedic
12-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi again

I tried both sets of codes

ir.codes.... none work
ir2.codes: both Dig1 and Dig2 reliably send a "3" command to the stb. None of the others work.

I'm now going back to try and collect codes using the tivo.

Chris

anynamebuttpg
12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Perhaps it won't happen over night, but it (hopefully) will happen :)

Let me know if there is anything you want me to do to assist in testing etc.

NetMedic
12-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi there

I've collected codes successfully using the tivo and "irSliceCreator".

I couldn't get them to work, but they are another basis for experimentation and discussion.

It's really interesting using irSliceCreator. You have to capture one code at a time, then exit the program and kill any IR processes, or else the blooming thing hangs.

Well at least we have a few more codes now to play with.

Looking at them, it's interesting that the the 3rd and 4th code pairs (which follow 0 55) seem to be transposed for all the digit codes, when compared to other austar codes.

I think I'll order a fully fledged pronto from the US, as playing with neo codes doesn't seem to work!

Chris
see attachment.

T1voZA
13-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Well at least we have a few more codes now to play with.It might be worth replacing the last digit in each of the learnt TiVo codes (e.g. 364, 367, 359, etc) with either 4866 (as per the neo learnt codes) or 4940 (as per the austar atlas code).

Looking at them, it's interesting that the the 3rd and 4th code pairs (which follow 0 55) seem to be transposed for all the digit codes, when compared to other austar codes.The third digit represents the amount of burst pairs in sequence 1, these burst pairs are used when sending a single key press. The fourth digit represents the amount of burst pairs in sequence 2, these burst pairs are used when sending a repeat key press. For the TiVo it doesn't matter weather the codes are contained within the single or repeat keypress as they will all get sent, having the codes in both the single and repeat sequence can result in a double digit being sent for each keypress.

NetMedic
16-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi all.

I've had no success with the codes captured by the tivo using irSliceCreator, at all. I've tried changing the last digit to 4940 and 4866, no joy at all.

I also played with the frequency using T1voZA's testfreq script. I tried this with the one ir2.code we have which works. It didn't lead anywhere.

I've now ordered a Philips pronto TS1000/01 from the US so I can get pronto codes first hand, and we'll see what comes of that!

If anyone has further suggestions what to try with the codes we already have, I'd be grateful. It will give me something to do while I wait for the pronto to arrive.

Thanks

Chris.

anynamebuttpg
18-08-2008, 02:53 PM
In an attempt to help, I contacted Altech UEC in South Africa. After being put through to Au$tars equivalent in SA and being on hold for an hour, I didn't get very far, then after getting the right number, tech support we're too busy.

I'll try again tonight and see if I can talk anyone around into giving me the codes, am I asking for IR codes, pronto codes hex codes?

Please spoon feed me with the right answers so I can at least do some leg work to help solve what is VERY VERY annoying!!!

anynamebuttpg
18-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I just got off the phone to UEC in Sydney. Spoke to a tech support guy. The details here hopefully will help, but the line was a bit crappy and I had trouble hearing him and understanding his SA accent, nonetheless, he was happy to help.

He said that the DSD-999 (Austar Flinders) uses the Phillips RCMM Protocol. He also said we should use the 32bit version.

I hope this helps, I'm about to start pounding Google now.

anynamebuttpg
18-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I've done some searching about the RCMM 32 bit protocol. Don't know if what I have found is much help, but here it is

NetMedic
19-08-2008, 10:42 PM
That's very interesting, and thanks.

I sent emails to altech some time ago asking for the codes but they didn't even bother to reply.

I've looked round but can't find a way of converting those rcmm32 codes to tivo codes. So we're stymied from that point of view.

The codes I've captured with the neo remote work well, so they're nothing special. I think it's just that we're not converting them properly.

The pronto is on it's way from the US and should be no more than another week. I've shelved the remote codes project until it arrives.... Playing with the codes, uploading them to the tivo and testing them takes hours and it is very slow progress. Unfortunately, I have another life, but I'm patient enough to wait until the pronto arrives.

Let's hope that the pronto codes work, when I eventually capture them!!

Thanks for your continued help with this issue.

Chris.
I suppose looking for AT&T stb tivo codes might me another avenue to explore...

anynamebuttpg
28-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Any joy with you new Pronto?

I had no success finding AT&T codes.

NetMedic
30-08-2008, 04:05 PM
The Pronto arrived. I captured working codes, translated them to tivo format and.... they don't work. On the pronto they work every time.

Something wrong with the translation algorithm. The tivo is transmitting the signals correctly because I can see the STB responding to it occasionally with seemingly random responses of 1 or 2 to the digit 1 code.

I'm going to play with other algorithms and see how I get on.

However, now I have the pronto, I can set up the timer on it and get it to do the channel changing thing itself. Not as convenient though.

Chris

NetMedic
30-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Here are the hex and tivo codes, as captured by my newly arrived TS1000/01

?no idea why they don't work.

Help?

Chris

anynamebuttpg
31-08-2008, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=NetMedic;13315]Here are the hex and tivo codes, as captured by my newly arrived TS1000/01

I've had a crack at it using the 'detailed conversion method', I have attached this tcl file, which really is only slightly different from your results, however it may be worth testing, I won't be able to test it until tonight.

T1voZA
06-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Here are the hex and tivo codes, as captured by my newly arrived TS1000/01

Help?

ChrisUEC decoders sometimes wait till both the single as well as the repeat key sequence has been received before performing the requested action. Given your learnt codes only contain the repeat key sequence commands, you can double these to emulate both the single and repeat key sequence. The attached file contains the 'ir3.codes' file with the button presses doubled to emulate sending both the single and repeat key sequence.

NetMedic
13-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi again.

I disagree with the theory that repeat codes and single codes are the issue here. My pronto has captured codes which work just fine, every time. So it's the conversion algorithms which are causing the problem. Either that, or I have a faulty tivo but I think not, because I've re imaged it about 10 times now and I can see the IR blaster is working, using my camcorder.

I've got a few days off, so I'm going to return to this problem. Nothing I've seen in this forum seems to solve the problem. However my pronto TS1000 captures the flinders codes with no difficulty, all the codes work, and so for the time being I am just setting up timers and macros on the pronto. This gets me by fairly well. I've set up a timer/macro for just about every regular program I want to record on the tivo, and I just leave the pronto pointing at the STB. The pronto changes the channel at the right time, and the tivo records the programme (after first trying to send non-working codes to the stb of course).

This gets me round the non functioning codes for the tivo IR blaster. It's kludgy and I have to make a new timer macro each time I take up a tivo suggestion, but it works.

Hopefully after a few days playing we can nail this problem.

NetMedic
13-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Yes I've had another go, using tivoza's converter and no joy.

NetMedic
28-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Just a final word about all this.

I've now tried irslicecreator, the old austar atlas codes, converted pronto neo codes and converted pronto codes to try and get my tivo to operate the austar flinders box. No joy.

However, my neo and pronto capture usable codes with no problem at all.

The tivo is working OK and I can see codes coming out of the ir blaster using my camcorder.

So I think there's a problem with the maths converting my pronto codes to tivo codes.

Unless you know differently.

And I see no way out of this, unless someone can help me...

Chris.

petestrash
29-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Sorry to hear that you are not having any luck.

Peter.