PDA

View Full Version : Foxtel Digital Sat

palmag
25-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Hi all,
I bought an S1 TiVo about a week ago, and thanks to Darren and Peter I've been able to set it up correctly....well almost. I am on Foxtel satellite, and I'm having issues with the IR codes for my satellite box (DSN 720).

I have found a set of codes that do change the foxtel channel but only the last 2 digits of the required 3 get changed, so i'm always getting the channel unavailable sign on the foxtel box.

Any ideas?
This is the last hurdle for my TiVo to get over! :D

palmag
25-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Can anyone confirm the placement of IR blaster? I have currently one leg under the STB and the other one next to the TiVo, my stb and tivo are individually placed in their own compartment.

petestrash
25-07-2008, 09:50 AM
The IR blaster only needs face the STB, just hide the other one somewhere (not in front of the TiVo).

Peter

Darren King
25-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Or simply place both of them in front of the STB.

Regarding the 2/3 digit issue, did you pick 2 digit or 3 digit sending in the IR setup? It is one of the options you should have after picking the IR code you wish to use to control the STB. It would also be nice to know what code you did choose too.

palmag
25-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks Peter, here's a link I found http://www.uk.tivo.com/i/3.0/3.1.ir_boxes.gif
I will try both methos (one IR & 2 IRs near the infrared)

Or simply place both of them in front of the STB.

Regarding the 2/3 digit issue, did you pick 2 digit or 3 digit sending in the IR setup? It is one of the options you should have after picking the IR code you wish to use to control the STB. It would also be nice to know what code you did choose too.

How do you choose the digits?, I went through the menu set up, but all it asked me was to press channell up/down 15 times or so to see if it changed channels. I don't remember an option...did I miss something?

what I did notice was that the more I pressed the it would tart changing from 00x, then 0xx then xxx on the foxtel display.

Skolink
25-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't remember an option...did I miss something?

Yes you did, before you test various codes it would have asked you if your box uses 2 or 3 digits, it then asks you if it is necessary to press an Enter button when changing channels.

palmag
26-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Yes you did, before you test various codes it would have asked you if your box uses 2 or 3 digits, it then asks you if it is necessary to press an Enter button when changing channels.

I put my S1 in service mode last night and went through the IR codes again, I noted every option, and there was no option to choose the digits on the set-top-box, it only had a couple of screens with the "press select to continue" option only before it took me to the "do you have to press enter at the end of channel selection"

To get to the digit selection screen do I need to run SG from scratch?

Darren King
26-07-2008, 02:03 PM
To get to the digit selection screen do I need to run SG from scratch?

GS (guided setup) is pretty much done from scratch when you put the TiVo into Maintenance Mode. The previous options are retained from the last GS but these can be changed as you run through the screens.

Exactly what type of Foxtel service are you selecting from the list?

palmag
26-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi Darren,
I am selecting foxtel oztivo for the codes.
The first PACE code works aswell.

The problem is that as I press he chan button on the tivo remote, it changes the intigers on the foxtel box, not the actual channel. so for tivo ch 1, i get 001 on the foxtel box... which inherently gives me a "channel not available"

Darren King
26-07-2008, 03:18 PM
That is what's supposed to happen. If the TiVo banner on your TV screen says that the TiVo is picking channel number 1 then by default the TiVo will be transmitting a 1 to your Foxtel box, and there should be absolutely no reason the change that.

Again, I ask what type of Foxtel service did you pick while doing Guided Setup. I do not mean what type of set top box you picked. The type of service you select is in guided setup way before you get to what type of IR code you select.

For example, did you pick "Foxtel Satellite" or did you pick "Foxtel Digital Satellite". There is a difference and the problem you describe leads me to think you picked "Foxtel Satellite" and not "Foxtel Digital Satellite", because if you picked Foxtel Digital Satellite your first channel should be 100 and not 1. The fact your TiVo is even showing a channel 1 kind of gives that away.

palmag
26-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Right....I will have to double check that, how do I go back to check this? or do I run GS from scratch?, I should have been more diligent in the choices if that turns out to be the prob!

I'll update with results soon

Darren King
26-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Run guided setup again, and you have hit the nail on the head: double check all things you enter before moving onto the next item.

palmag
27-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi Darren,

I ran the GS again, and this time I chose foxtel digital satellite as you correctly pointed out. I am currently using code 30057 which seems to work, intermitantly though. I do get the triple digit channels though and they do natch my fox channels. eg fox 101 = TiVo 101.

Darren King
27-07-2008, 08:40 PM
That's good news the digit indescrepancy has been sorted.

As for the intermittent nature I notice in one of your posts you mention picking the "fast" option for IR codes. Maybe changing this to a slower setting will help.

You could also try experimenting with the position of the TiVo IR emitter location in front of your Foxtel as described here: http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/IR/FixifSTBwontChangeChannels

palmag
27-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I will do Darren, and thanks for all your help. I have currently set the code on medium, which gives me the intermittent operation. I will post with findings.

palmag
28-07-2008, 08:14 AM
G'day Darren,
the problem seems to have been the placement of the IR. I read the guide you linked to and took its advise, I placed a single IR ifront of the box approx. 10cm away from it and now I get about 98% success using the ch up and down. I get 100% success by just using the guide on live TV and selecting channels from there.

Thanks for all you help Darren!

Darren King
28-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Fantastic! Glad that it is now all sorted and you've probably gained quite a bit of experience in the process. Great result all round :)

palmag
29-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks Darren, and thank you for your patience, time and efforts.

Just to help future users in their quest my set top box ia a DCN 720 Foxtel Digital Satellite service and the working code is 30057 - medium. The IR of the box seems to be on the RHS (when facing the box) near the last digit on the channel display.