PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Desktop Software and Media Access Key

JohnScott
22-07-2008, 08:49 AM
After 48 hours my new TivoHD acquired an additional menu item on Tivo Central - "Music, Photos, Products, & More".

Naturally I felt the need to investigate further. The new options included some games, configuring a server for Tivo Desktop Software and enabling home network applications.

Downloaded Tivo Desktop and tried installing it on a desktop PC. Hit the wall when the install asked for the "Media Access Key". According to the install dialog box this should appear as a separate option under "Messages & Settings"/"Account & System Information" but it's not there. Tried connecting to the Tivo Service in case a further update was needed but selecting the Connect option responds with "This option will be unavailable until a scheduled software update occurs at 2:00am."

Tried the Setup & Support page on www.tivo.com.au. The message "Check back on the 29th of July, 2008 for the launch of this support service" was not helpful.

I might pluck up courage and try the phone support line, or I might just wait and see.

Hellerphant
22-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Hey mate....

I also did some research last night after I got my TiVo and downloaded the desktop software. I found a nifty little guide I can post up for you

http://lifehacker.com/352229/watch-video-downloads-on-your-tivo-for-free

When I went to system information I can't remember WHAT option it was but it had a key that was i,i,i

I entered that into the desktop software and ENABLED network applications and the software picked up the Tivo Unit. Problem was I couldn't see what video was on the unit, nor could I see Video from my PC on the TiVo unit, but I could see music and photos from my pc on the unit.....very strange indeed.

I am running Vista, so that could also have something to do with it, or perhaps it's just blocked at the moment. I will try tonight on my XP laptop and let you know how I go

Darren King
22-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Media Access Keys have not been released in Australia yet.

Hellerphant
22-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Media Access Keys have not been released in Australia yet.

I figured as much, but as I said by entering the code (I will check when i get home and see what option it was under) I was at least able to see my TiVo and my TiVo could view music and photos from my PC just not video....

petestrash
22-07-2008, 11:21 AM
There is a good chance you will loose the music and photo's section soon as it was not originally planned for release until after Christmas.

If you do still have it, what is the version number on your TiVo (found on the system information screen).

Peter

Omnialpha
22-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Yes I had fun with this option as well, that is until it was taken away again via another update...:eek:

Hellerphant
22-07-2008, 01:15 PM
There is a good chance you will loose the music and photo's section soon as it was not originally planned for release until after Christmas.

If you do still have it, what is the version number on your TiVo (found on the system information screen).

Peter

I'm at work right now, but as soon as I get home I'll quote the info for you :)

Hellerphant
22-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Ok so I went to Messages and Settings, Account and System Information. Then System Information

TiVo to go code is what I entered, mine is i,i,i and this allowed me to see my TiVo unit and my TiVo unit to see my music and photos folder

And Pete my Software Version is : 8.2a-01-2-663

Hellerphant
22-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Well I just checked then from my XP laptop. Once again can see the TiVo but cannot access videos. Now my TiVo Desktop Manager says that Transfers might not be configured on my DVR.... So I would say that yes, at this stage it is blocked

petestrash
22-07-2008, 07:27 PM
TiVo to go code is what I entered, mine is i,i,i and this allowed me to see my TiVo unit and my TiVo unit to see my music and photos folder

Everyone has the same i,i,i in their units. when the basic features are enabled you can seen music and photo's without entering any code during the install of TiVo Desktop, or even entering a wrong code (as i,i,i is).

And Pete my Software Version is : 8.2a-01-2-663

That is the original release, you will have 8.2.1-01-2-663 now/soon.

Peter.

Hellerphant
22-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I see.... So does the TiVo do the updates automatically or do I have to do something to update the service?

Darren King
22-07-2008, 09:14 PM
There is a menu option to manually force a connection, otherwise the updates are done usually overnight around 2am unless something is being recorded at that time in which case the TiVo will wait for recording to finish, do the update, and then reboot.

Hellerphant
22-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Any news on WHAT the update does yet? Really wish they offered more info on their site, but guess it's not meant to be sold until the 29th and I am hoping that is when the site will really go live....

Good old Harvey Normans, always breaking release date, not that I'm complaining ;)

petestrash
22-07-2008, 09:53 PM
When the server decides your box should be updated, they will make the download available on the next call it makes. Once it has downloaded it sits on your box until it is restarted. If not restarted earlier, it will automatically restart at 2am (if nothing is recording).

I'm a little surprised you have not received it yet. If you go into setting neworking what is your current status?

Peter.

EDIT: This was a reply to post #11. The other two posts came while I had this on the screen

petestrash
22-07-2008, 10:02 PM
In reply to post #13, There is no official details.

But unofficially mentioned so far, you lose photo's and music, some adjustments to ffw skip back and some tuner tweeks.

Peter

Hellerphant
23-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Cool thanks heaps for the info, will check it out tonight after work and see if it has completed the update :)

JohnScott
25-07-2008, 07:08 AM
As predicted the two options for configuring a server for Tivo Desktop Software and enabling home network applications have disappeared. For the record, the software version is now 8.2.1-01-2-663.

petestrash
25-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Yes, while you were on 8.2b you have them, but not on 8.2.1

Peter.

manacubus
17-02-2009, 07:05 PM
So what's the story?

I wasted days (it would now appear) on US Tivo forums trying to get the TivoToGo functionality working (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7071341) (streaming video back and forth between my laptop and the Tivo) using pyTivo, streambaby, and iTivo.

I'm befuddled as to why Aussie Tivos are apparently running a 'crippled' version of the US software.

So when are we getting Media Access Keys so we can get this software working?

Anybody have any info?

Cheers :)

petestrash
17-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Officially 1st Qtr 2009, and it will be a paid upgrade.

I'm guessing mid-end end of March.

Peter.

Darren King
17-02-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm befuddled as to why Aussie Tivos are apparently running a 'crippled' version of the US software.
It's so that some time this year you can have that feature enabled when TiVo allow it. Only after you pay for it first, however.