PDA

View Full Version : Before I buy the New TiVo HD..........

aussiesalute
22-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Howdy guys..

New to the site.
I just seen the ad on TV for the Harvey Norman release of the new Tivo HD boxes. And I am not checking Tivo stuff out for the first time.

Before I hand over the cash...... a quick question.

Is it possible to rig up a PC with a couple of HD cards, and run tivo software.
Hence not need a TiVo box?

Excuse my ignorance if this is not possible.

Darren King
22-07-2008, 06:42 AM
Hi and welcome.

No you cannot do that. The hardware inside a TiVo is not even close to a PC, and anyway the software that runs the TiVoHD is not even available for download.

aussiesalute
22-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Darren,
thanks for the quick reply.

I'm located in sydney... do you know if the tivo hd will only be getting the std 10 odd free to air channels here..... or will we be able to get extra internet channels?

Darren King
22-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Standard and High Definition free to air channels only for now. It it touted that you will be able to do internet stuff at an additional fee later but no details on this yet.

aussiesalute
24-07-2008, 07:10 PM
What about setting up a PC with windows XP Media center and running off IceTV ...... would that be simular? What are the cons and pros

Darren King
24-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Sorry no experience with doing that. TiVo only.

petestrash
24-07-2008, 09:32 PM
A couple of cons, ongoing cost of IceTV & initial cost of PC hardware and software.

But try a google search for a more balanced pro/con list.

Peter.

znelbok
20-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Is it possible to rig up a PC with a couple of HD cards, and run tivo software.
Hence not need a TiVo box?

Have a look at sagetv. I have not used it but know of many that highly recommend it. It is a PC based solution with a hardware client available. Add tuners as you like

Mick

petestrash
20-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi, welcome to the forums. As a general rule it's best not adding to threads that are months old, unless no suitable answers were given.

Peter.