PDA

View Full Version : TurboNet card not starting up

SteveCourt
28-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Background:
Last week I was attempting to update both of my Tivo's to v1.6.2 and changeover to use the new server.
Both boxes are now running v1.6.2, but I've somehow managed to screw up the network connectivity on one of the boxes (previously running v1.3). This probably occured as a result of me trying to change the Turbonet mac address (even though I was able to do this fine on the other box).

I've connected to the tivo via a serial cable and can see that eth0 doesn't appear in the results for ifconfig. I tried trolling through /var/log/messages but I couldn't see anything obvious.

I was able to run net_config_tivo again, but I don't know if this program actually interacts with the Turbonet card or just changes the config files.

I'm hoping that someone can offer some guidance on other log or config files to check.

petestrash
29-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Can you please post your etc/oztivo.conf file.

Peter

SteveCourt
29-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Here's the contents of my oztivo.conf

nic=TurboNet
ip=DHCP
mac=00:0B:AD:10:10:13
timing=4
hostname=oztivo_bed
emulator=www.oztivo.net
emulatorport=9090
netmask=
gateway=
ssid=
wep=
wepkey=

My other tivo (the working one) has effectively the same contents except for the mac and hostname. It seems that oztivo.conf is referenced by /etc/rc.d/rc.net. How can I diagnose whether this is getting run ?

petestrash
29-06-2008, 09:39 PM
rc.net is called by rc.sysinit.

Reboot and then post your /var/log/kernel

For error messages

Peter.

SteveCourt
30-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I've made a small bit of progress. After a reboot, I checked /var/log/kernel and noticed the following lines related to eth0.

Jan 1 00:00:22 (none) kernel: eth0: unknown interface.
Jan 1 00:00:22 (none) kernel: Configuring network...
Jan 1 00:00:22 (none) kernel: Starting TurboNet
Jan 1 00:00:22 (none) kernel: /lib/modules/turbonet.o: /lib/modules/turbonet.o: No such file or directory
Jan 1 00:00:22 (none) kernel: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: sendtivomesg.tcl: command not found

Sure enough, /lib/modules/turbonet.o didn't exist and I can only imagine that this is related to the notes in the 'known issues' for the 1.6 upgrade which mention that 'some files' fail to get copied due to issues with large IDE disks.

For some bizarre reason I could remember that ax88796.o was previously used for the TurboNet card, so I copied it (to TurboNet.o), rebooted... and eth0 reappeared.

I've got no idea which files were missed during the update so I can only imagine the safest approach is to reinstall the whole disk, although I might try running the update again just to see whether it magically works the 2nd time round. Anyone got any other ideas ?

petestrash
30-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Sounds like you have it sorted, but finding missing files is a little difficult.

I'm working on the next release now and will use a newer kernel for the Cd which should get around these issues.

If you really want to be sure you can send your drive to Darren King, and he can image it for you.

Peter.

Darren King
01-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Happy to assist if Steve requires it.