PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in guided setup

eden
21-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I was changing to the new emulator but I used the instructions for 1.4 not 1.5 without realising. I then tried to make a daily call however the call failed as "dial-in number" could not be chosen. Stupidly I then thought there was something wrong with my phone settings so I then tried to do a guided setup to check them. At this point I then realised that maybe my TiVo image wasn't 1.4 and found out it was 1.5. So then I upgraded my image to 1.6 and performed the remote transfer to the new emulator.

My problem is that i can not get out of the guided setup, make a daily call or watch live tv and there is no guide data.

I can still telnet in...

NetMedic
21-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi Eden

I am brand new here with very little knowledge but I found it so simple to remove the hd from the tivo, and install a brand new oztivo image that I thought I'd just suggest it. That way you can be sure you're starting off cleanly, and anyone else who posts will know exactly what you have on the tivo HD at the outset.

You've probably already thought of this and I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time.

eden
22-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Thanks NetMedic, I have thought of doing that but I think that might have to be a last resort option.

petestrash
22-06-2008, 10:29 PM
What is stopping you from completing Guided setup?

Peter

eden
23-06-2008, 01:49 AM
It fails when I make a daily call. It says "Failed. No dial-in number chosen" as the reason.

petestrash
25-06-2008, 04:49 PM
What postcode are you entering and what source(s) have you selected?

Peter.

eden
25-06-2008, 09:03 PM
The program source is cable (I have a dgtech hd set top box because of an ntsc tuner) and the postcode is 03000. After all this is put in it fails when doing the first phone home.

eden

petestrash
26-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Do you know how to look up the logs?

If you do could you please zip up your tclient.log and post it here.

if you don't then let me know and I will type up some instructions.

Peter.

eden
26-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Sorry peter I think i'll need some instructions. I think I know what you are talking about but I'm a bit scared I'll make more of a mess than I already have.

petestrash
26-06-2008, 07:12 PM
ok, what program are you using to access your TiVo, and have you used a program called vi (or vim) or joe before?

Peter.

eden
27-06-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm using a Mac with the program Terminal.

Yes I have used joe to edit.

petestrash
27-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Ok can you clear your current tclient log by typing:

cat /dev/null > /var/log/tclient

Then try GS again.

Once it fails, try

cat /var/log/tclient

This should list the log to your screen. Copy the details from the screen to a file then post them here either as is, if not too big or zip it otherwise.

Peter.

eden
27-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the help so far. I'm going away for the weekend but will post those details as soon as I get back to civilization.

eden
29-06-2008, 06:21 PM
the tclient log is in the attached zip file.

thanks

petestrash
29-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Ok, it's not a proxy error, but an error establishing a dialup connection.

It's very strange that makedialconfig failed and that it is starting at 300bps.

I haven't used dialup on a TiVo, so I will ask others for their tclient to compare.

Peter.

petestrash
01-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Not a single person has come forward with their logs.

I have resent the request.

Peter.

eden
01-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I have another tivo that is working fine. I'm not sure if it is setup the same but would it help if I showed you it's log?
If so should I telnet it and type just

cat /var/log/tclient

or do I need to also clear the log with

and do I need to go through GS too?

Thanks

petestrash
01-07-2008, 11:56 PM
If it's also on dialup, then yes it would help.

Then just force a daily call and when successful

cat /var/log/Otclient

Peter

eden
02-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Here is the log to my other tivo.

petestrash
03-07-2008, 05:03 AM
The log you posted does not appear to be a dialup log?

Are you sure you use the phone line with this other TiVo?

Peter.

I could be wrong though as it's very late & i'm tired.

eden
03-07-2008, 06:50 PM
The tivo that is not working is plugged directly into my router and the tivo that is working is connected to the same router via a wireless bridge. Also I have a bigpond cable internet connection so I don't know what the dialup connection thing is.

Could this be the problem?

Darren King
03-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I don't know what the dialup connection thing is.

Dialup means attempting to connect the TiVo via it's internal modem directly to the telephone line via it's "phone line" connection.

By your description above you have a broadband connection and are using internal network cards in the TiVo which is the more common way of connecting a TiVo and you DO NOT concern yourself with any form of "dialup" method of connection.

If it was me I would have done what NetMedic said on page one ensuring that it is the latest image release (last month) that has all the new emulator settings already patched in and doubly ensure that when you pick networking options you choose the type of network card inside your TiVo and not a dialup connection ;)

But stick with it. Peter just may have a simple non-reinstall fix as he is the expert at sorting upgrade hiccups out. I'll let him take it from here :)

petestrash
03-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Ok this was a bit of a red herring, somehow you setup dialup as your connection when you re-imaged. But till now you did not mention that you do not use dial-up. This is why it is failing.

As Darren has suggested, it would be best if started from the beginning by downloading the current ISO.

Peter.

eden
07-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I only have one last question. If I'm re-imaging the HDD do I have to take it out of the box and attach it to a computer or can I telnet it?

Thanks again for your time.

petestrash
08-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Yes, it would be best to start from the very beginning with the drive back in the PC

Peter.