PDA

View Full Version : XP, PPP & Wingate

AJOS31
24-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Hi

Attempting to save dollars, today I ordered a Tivo without a TurboNet card.

Tonight, reading through the XP PPP configuration instructions, I now realise Wingate (or similar) is required on the XP box @ around $100. Is this right? Will ICS not suffice?

Would I be better off ordering the TurboNEt card? My XP PC connects directly to cable.

Rdgs
Andrew

mobelby
25-06-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm not an old hand by any means but if you do not have a turbonet or cachecard or airnet I think you would be limited to connecting to the tivo by serial or phoneline, that's it.

My advice is swallow the pain now and spend that money on the turbonet card, you'll thank yourself a thousand times over later.

curto
26-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Lots of the guys have tried with ICS under XP and none appear to have succeded. Most of them end up opting for the Wingate approach (there are other options)

In the end if you have cable then i would recommend going the turbonet or cachecard route. It does give you a heap more flexibility in terms of downloading content from the TIVO

Craig

AJOS31
28-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Thank you for your input.. I've ordered the card :D

wilddog
09-07-2004, 01:12 PM
I managed to get it to work. However when I rebooted I lost the connection and never got it back. Today i am a happy Turbonet user.