PDA

View Full Version : Jerky Recording but Intermittent?

BenMorgan
17-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Finally got round to sorting out the Sony Tivo I've had in my cupboard for 12 months! I've gone through the install fine. I was using a Seagate 7200.10 320GB drive and for the most part it was working fine. I started to notice after a while though that on some channels and seemingly only when recording at Best Quality the recording goes very jerky. It's almost unwatchable (well to me anyway but I'm fussy!). I had thought maybe this was a speed conflict between the Seagate and the TiVo so I re imaged the original 30GB Quantum Fireball that was in the TiVo and lo and behold I get the same problem.

It's mainly noticeable as far as I can tell on the channels like The Rugby Channel, fast moving and I think a 16:9 channel. I don't seem to get the same issues watching sport on say ESPN. Any ideas what my problem may be?

EDIT: It' not just the Rugby Channel or 16:9 channels. It will happen on other channels too. Now happening on ESPN too but still only when using Best Quality

By the way was delighted to find that the Pace IR Codes control MySky as well so many many thanks to the godlike figure who sorted that out!

Skolink
17-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I assume you've checked it's not still in maintenance mode? That is the usual reason for jerky live TV and playback.
I just set up a TiVo that was extremely jerky, and in the menus it was not very responsive. Even the background animation kept pausing! I tried another hdd and it worked perfectly smoothly. Sadly it didn't fix the green line issue the TiVo also has, but that has another cause...

BenMorgan
17-02-2008, 03:28 PM
I assume you've checked it's not still in maintenance mode? That is the usual reason for jerky live TV and playback.
I just set up a TiVo that was extremely jerky, and in the menus it was not very responsive. Even the background animation kept pausing! I tried another hdd and it worked perfectly smoothly. Sadly it didn't fix the green line issue the TiVo also has, but that has another cause...

That's a possibility... This is my first install over here. I'll have a dig round as to how to get out of Maintenance Mode... thanks.

EDIT: Doh...seems I'm very guiltyof not reading the last paragraph on the how to page... sorry guys!

BenMorgan
18-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Seems to have fixed TiVo for the most part. Recording and playback is now fine (save for some atmospheric related problems from my Sky Dish that's been hampering me over the weeked) got another slight problem though. I think I know the reason why but hoping someone could confirm it for me.

When I select "Recorder & Phone Setup" from the "Messages and Setup" menu it just keeps taking me back to the "Messages and Setup" menu. I have a feeling this is to do with certain things on a US TiVo not working in PAL mode under Oz/NZTivo? I should be fine changing these options via TiVoWeb though correct?

neilp
18-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I think the way it works is that sub-menu is only available if the Tivo is in maintenance mode - which you can switch on and off via tivoweb.

Try putting it into maint mode and see if that helps (then remember to put it back or you'll get the jerky screen issue again!)

BenMorgan
18-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I think the way it works is that sub-menu is only available if the Tivo is in maintenance mode - which you can switch on and off via tivoweb.

Try putting it into maint mode and see if that helps (then remember to put it back or you'll get the jerky screen issue again!)

hmmm ok will give it a go tonight. cheers neil.