PDA

View Full Version : TiVo MySky comparison

Larry Spitz
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Has anyone done such a comparison?

I am really interested in having the capability of recording two programs at once and I hope that reliability will be considerably higher than I am used to. SWMBO cannot deal with telnet, warped clocks, remote freezes, etc. and if I am not home when the TiVo stuffs up, it stays stuffed up.

I would also like to know if MySky has the 8 second skip-back feature.

Any pointers to comparisons would be appreciated.

Larry

cusp
15-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey

Just my 0.02..

1. I think Mysky doesnt allow you to keep recorded programs indefinitely (tivo does)

2. I think (but im not 100% this applies to Mysky, ) Recording multiple programs at once either requires multiple tivos and sky STBs or a tivo/pvr with multiple tuners, series 1 tivo in NZ has a VHF tuner built in (for terrestrial if you want it) and you bring video in from your sky box/freeview box to the s-video/video input

anyone else comment on recording multiple channels at once with tivo/sky?

note: right, i just checked, mysky has two tuners so 2 channels at once is poss

Of course if it was Freeview you were after (and dont flame me for saying this as I am an avid Tivo fan!!) you could build a MythTV PVR PC with multiple DVB-S (or soon DVB-T, yah!) cards and record multiple channels... but this doesnt help with Sky...

3. http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=34&TopicId=11674&page_no=2

4. http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Build_vs_Buy

5. Tivo has the priceless '30 second skip forward' - not sure if Mysky does, but I love it.

Personally, I love my tivo, and I have it working great with FTA Freeview.. no monthly fees..

It all depends what your priorities are I guess

mpnash
16-01-2008, 06:42 PM
2. I think (but im not 100% this applies to Mysky, ) Recording multiple programs at once either requires multiple tivos and sky STBs or a tivo/pvr with multiple tuners, series 1 tivo in NZ has a VHF tuner built in (for terrestrial if you want it) and you bring video in from your sky box/freeview box to the s-video/video input

anyone else comment on recording multiple channels at once with tivo/sky?

Series 1 tivo can only record 1 show at-a-time. With dual sources (e.g. internal tuner mod, or dual input mod), you can watch one source whilst recording the other source.

I wonder if mysky can record both sources?