PDA

View Full Version : TiVo Series 1 and XBMC

ozNick
11-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Hi,
I just picked up my first TiVo, a series 1 with a NE2000 network card. The OzTiVo image worked a treat so far - thanks to all who work on it.

I am hoping to use the TiVo remotely via my XBox with the TiVo XMBC script. The latest version I could find was v1.5 which seems to work ok (except the scaling and positioning of menus needs work, which I am happy to clean up).

I did some tests by doing a recording from my DVD player on to my TiVo. The XBMC script could see the recordings and play back the recordings even at 720x576. (surprising with the NE2000)

My question: Will the TiVo XBMC script enable me to do live streaming from the TiVo?

Thanks Nick

Darren King
11-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi and welcome! Can't help you much as I have not done XBMC but someone else will be able to jump in.

I am just commenting on this:

I just picked up my first TiVo, a series 1 with a NE2000 network card.That's a very rare setup you have there! They were the first adaptor cards ever made that has a standard PC network card fitted to an adaptor card that in turn fitted to the TiVo motherboard. These are called TiVoNET cards. They are a fairly slow transfer speed so I guess I can sort of comment that you probably won't be able to stream like people with a Turbonet or Cachecard can... But you never know your luck.

ozNick
12-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I am just commenting on this:
That's a very rare setup you have there! They were the first adaptor cards ever made that has a standard PC network card fitted to an adaptor card that in turn fitted to the TiVo motherboard. These are called TiVoNET cards.

Yep, according to the previous owner, the card is one of Tridge's original riser cards.

While we're on the subject, if I need to upgrade, which card would be a good replacement, the TurboNet or go for the CacheCard?

Cheers Nick
Edit 1: Fix wording

petestrash
13-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Any Turbonet style card is fine (Terbonet,tv-lan,x-factor,etc). I still have Terbonets in stock A$80 incl postage.

You existing card setup should work fine transfering shows offline, but may have issues transfering in realtime.

Peter.

ozNick
20-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Any Turbonet style card is fine (Terbonet,tv-lan,x-factor,etc). I still have Terbonets in stock A$80 incl postage.

You existing card setup should work fine transfering shows offline, but may have issues transfering in realtime.

Peter.

The TiVoNet card so far works fine with realtime streaming (720 x 576).

My questions is more about read time of EPG across network which for me is too slow. I understand the cache card provides instant access to the EPG on the TiVo itself, but does it help with network EPG access?

Cheers Nick

petestrash
20-03-2007, 02:15 PM
If you can stream ok, then you shouldn't be having speed issues downloading data. Streaming uses much higher bandwidth then data download. Is that what you mean by "read time of EPG"?

The Cachecard isn't as good as advertised. Firstly you must have a 512mb stick installed to get any benefit (and the cost of cachecard+512mb is more than a 2nd tivo). Secondly the only process that is noticibly faster is displaying the now showing list if you have a lot of programs stored on the TiVo. It is claimed that database manipulations are also faster, but I feel there is no percevable difference.

Peter.

Darren King
20-03-2007, 02:27 PM
..... and also with an extra 512MB of dynamic RAM needing constant refresh cycles it puts quite a strain on the power supply too for very little benefit as Peter already mentions.

ozNick
20-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks Gents - I appreciate your frank advice.

Just so I understand - A "What's On" scan of NSW Foxtel Digital Satellite takes 37secs on TivoWebPlus. Having a CacheCard will make no difference to that?

Thanks Nick

petestrash
23-03-2007, 06:40 PM
I can't answer that accurately for a few reasons.
1. I don't have two TiVo's with a pay TV lineup to compare between, FTA is too short.
2. I don't have time to pull my systems apart and test the one TiVo with 2 different cards.
3. Using TiVoWeb(Plus) is not a good basis for comparison as TW(P) requests are run at a low priority. So the time taken is highly dependent on the processing load at that instant.

As a quick test for you, I did try bringing up 'what's on' on two TiVo's with the same lineup (FTA only) Cachecard took 7 secs and terbonet 9 seconds. But like I said this is not accurate. I also tested 2 cachecard equiped TiVo's running the same lineup. One took 4 seconds and the other 7 seconds.

Peter.