PDA

View Full Version : TiVo Sound Level Jumping

TimesOwn
18-02-2007, 05:29 AM
Hi
One of my TiVo's is exhibiting varying sound levels, it may be occurring during adds only, it seems to burst louder then fade slowly, to rebound again in a sort of saw tooth (and annoying) fashion, or possibly jump between two levels. It is only during Live playing from a RF signal and recordings from that TiVo. It plays recordings from another TiVo fine. Recordings from this TiVo exhibit the same sound variability played on other TiVos.

Anyone suggest how one might proceed with this? I am getting told it is not good enough (!) Seems like it maybe a hardware fault in the tuner section between the aerial and recording section.

Darren King
18-02-2007, 08:21 AM
If it is only recordings and live TV from the tuner and the same problem does not happen via the A/V input then yes there is a problem between the tuner and the micronas sound chip.

If you have the technical know-how and access to an oscilloscope (cro) then start monitoring the sound input to the micronas and see if it varies. If it does then trace backwards to the tuner. If it doesn't then you have a problem in the micronas chip.

TimesOwn
18-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks Darren, I guess I'll check out the AV input first. (what will it mean if it is also exhibited there?)

Darren King
18-02-2007, 01:36 PM
If it is also exhibited through the A/V input then you can rule out everything in the audio path from the tuner to the micronas chip. In this case it will be either the chip itself or one of the support parts for the chip downstream of the micronas chip's inputs causing the problem.