PDA

View Full Version : Bash on the Serial Port option missing in 1.6.2 image installer

Doitsujin
07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I used ozTiVo_installer_Philips_1.6.2_20061106.iso to image a new hard drive and when I selected the Select NIC to Install screen I no longer see the Bash on the Serial Port option. Is this a bug or was the option deliberately removed because bash access is now enabled by default?
Since I don't have a NIC (and don't intend to get one) I tried the PPP option, but it says that this will disable Bash on the serial port. :confused:

Darren King
07-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Bash on the serial port has been enabled by default for a long time (even before R1.0 release!).

The warning about enabling PPP-over-Serial is correct as you can't run two things off the one port. You either want PPP-o-S for networking to a PC or you want a plain linux terminal interface (ie a "bash prompt").

Doitsujin
07-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Darren,

I know that Bash on the serial port has been enabled since the earliest builds. It's just that the Select NIC to Install menu is missing the Bash on the Serial Port option that was available in earlier installers as you can see in the screen capture of an earlier release.

I could't take a screen capture of the current menu because I don't know how to do this in Linux, but the current version of the Select NIC to Install menu definitely missing the Bash on the Serial Port option. (At least I didn't see it in Release 1.62.)

My question was why it's no longer a menu option that can be selected.

Darren King
07-02-2007, 05:24 PM
No idea. I suspect Peter would be able to provide that answer.

But serial bash prompt IS enabled for all other options but PPP-over-Serial (and always has been) so to reword my last post: If you don't select PPP-over-serial then you do have a bash prompt with all other options.

petestrash
07-02-2007, 10:16 PM
We didn't include a bash on serial option as we thought it was no longer needed. People without network cards usually either use PPPonDSS or modem.

As you guessed and Darren has already said, bash is already enabled on every type of network setup except PPPonDSS.

And when changing from PPPonDSS back to any other option it is automatically re-enabled.

You can safely select turbonet, if you just want to use bash.

Is there any reason you don't want to use PPPonDSS to make calls or transfer slices. At least you then let TiVo do it's daily calls without intervention, and as bonus you can use TWP.

Peter.

Doitsujin
08-02-2007, 02:08 AM
Peter,

Thanks for the clarification.

Is there any reason you don't want to use PPPonDSS to make calls or transfer slices?

Since there are no ready-made slices for Germany, I plan to use the TiVo for manual recording only. Therefore I don't need PPP.

petestrash
08-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Running PPP would not be a hinderence to you, and you may find using TiVoWebPlus useful.

Peter.