PDA

View Full Version : Alternate ethernet chipsets

Skolink
27-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi TiVo Software People,
I've been thinking that it would be good to develop a new TiVo network card that uses a chip other than the Asix AX88796L as used on the Turbonet (and Terbonet and soon Turbonzet).
From a hardware perspective, the AX88796L has a lot of fine pitch pins, and has alot of external components, meaning that they are a pain to assemble, and have extra cost. So the overall benefit of a different chipset would be a cheaper TiVo network card.

From a software perspective the Asix chip is tried and true, and seems to work perfectly, so no reason to change that I can se.

My question for the software people is, if there is a linux driver available for a particular ethernet chip, how difficult would it be to compile the driver for a series 1 TiVo?

I would supply prototypes to anyone capable of developing a driver.
Cheers,
John

thomson
28-01-2007, 12:51 PM
My question for the software people is, if there is a linux driver available for a particular ethernet chip, how difficult would it be to compile the driver for a series 1 TiVo?

The source for the existing driver (ax88796.c) is available so from a software point of view it should be possible to get a different driver working. I have no experience with writing drivers, but could give it a go... would be lots of trial and error... and without diagnostic equipment it could be difficult.

Wibble
09-02-2007, 06:09 PM
The source for the existing driver (ax88796.c) is available so from a software point of view it should be possible to get a different driver working

It would also be easier to start with the driver from from the latest 2.2 linux kernel, which would be the closest to the current Tivo kernel (2.1.24)

On a related matter does anybody have a working tivo cross-compiler setup as a virtual machine. That way to compile something, we just need to to get the VM image.

Wibble
09-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Has anybody considered using the Realtek RTL8139. Used in any cheap 10/100Mb card.
I don't know what the price of the other chipsets are, but you could buy PCI card and unsolder the chips at NZ9$ per.

petestrash
10-02-2007, 12:14 AM
the Realtek 8139 isn't really an option if skolink goal is trying to avoid fine pin pitch to make assembly easier, as it currently is only available in 100 or 128-pin PQFP/LQFP packages which is the same as the current AX88796.

As far as price goes, the current AX88796LF is around US$7 in small qty's.