PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Re-Image - Which One???

Muzza
09-01-2007, 06:22 AM
Hi All

Finally I am at a point where I have pretty much watched all the stored programs that had been delaying me changing emulators so I was planning on carrying out the required process to do this - "clear and delete everything" etc.

However - seeing as I was planning on doing this I thought maybe I should carry out an image upgrade also. I am currently using the 1.4 image and I notice their is a couple of 1.5 images and also it would appear there is a 1.6 image.

Which is the recommended one to use - main priority being reliability at this point but if there are some worthy benefits of using the very latest image maybe it is worth a go?

Your thoughts??

Cheers
Muzza.

thomson
09-01-2007, 07:09 AM
Which is the recommended one to use - main priority being reliability at this point but if there are some worthy benefits of using the very latest image maybe it is worth a go?

I have been recommending that people use the latest OzTivo v1.6.2 image on their US (Philips/Sony) TiVo's. This includes most of the latest packages and has an update (via rsync) facility which could make updates far less painful in the future. The feedback I have had is that it does include all the NZ related items (emulator addresses, etc).

Darren King
09-01-2007, 07:19 AM
The feedback I have had is that it does include all the NZ related items (emulator addresses, etc).

Yes there is now an installer menu area that allows selection of which emulator the user wishes to connect to and it sets up the image accordingly.

Muzza
09-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Sounds good.
Don't suppose you have the link to the correct 1.6 image download handy?

Thanks.

Darren King
09-01-2007, 08:52 AM
http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/PrepareTiVoDisk#Downloading_and_Installing_the_S

Muzza
09-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks Darren.

DJC
09-01-2007, 12:40 PM
For reference there is a set of pre-customised NZ specific images on orac for philips, sony and thomson units in NZ.

ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_images

Muzza
09-01-2007, 01:02 PM
I am currently downloading the 1.6.2 image file and will give it a go tonight.

Thanks.

Muzza
09-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I have re-imaged my TiVo to the 1.6.2 image and it all seemed to go well. One thing I was wondering though - do I need to adjust the endpad settings on the 1.6 image?

It seems to be in a different location than previous versions - how can I check it?

Thanks.

petestrash
09-01-2007, 08:17 PM
the correct file to modify is

/hack/endpad-1.5.1/endpad.config

(Even though it's endpadplus)

Peter.

Muzza
10-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks Peter.

I still can't seem to "get into" the right location though.
Can I trouble you to post the whole command sequence I should be using to change the endpad to 1 minute before and 5 minutes after.

I use Kevterm as my editor.

APOLOGIES as I am a bit of a beginner Linux user..haha.

Darren King
10-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Try this:

firstly you need to change directory with the command cd followed by the directory you want to change into:
cd /hack/endpad-1.5.1

Then you want to set the file system to read/write with the command rw to allow you to edit the file system:
rw

Then you want to start up a text editor. You can use joe, vi or nano (all are on the TiVo) but nano seems to be the one of choice of late:
nano endpad.config

Once finished editing you want to put the file system back into read only:
ro

Then lastly reboot the TiVo:
reboot

Muzza
10-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks heaps Darren.

I think I've managed to sort it now.