PDA

View Full Version : TCD24008A SA2 without Harddrive

mfomferra
21-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Hello,

I saved an old Series 2 TCD24008A from the municipal waste department :-)

If you would like to run some dev shots in an NTSC environment (antenna reception only though), you are welcome to send me files as long as you don't wanna flash the rom ;-))))))

Of course the hd was already salvaged. Other than that, all seems fine: Unit
powers up, is clean and no physical damage discernible. I got a few
harddrives I can try (20 - 60 GB)...I'd like to get it running and play a
little around with it, maybe use it as a client for streaming mp3s and
webradio...

I don't have an image (no original hd). Are their any hints on compiling and installing the OS? I already have the source files from Tivo (Linux 2.1) and I'm running Suse 10.0 32-bit and 64-bit on my boxes...I could not find much online about starting with a virgin disk...I would not like to use Instantcake - I can't really afford that currently

I don't need to do the Palmod since my TV and DVD player here in the USA "speak" NTSC very well.

Any hints, links, recommendations greatly appreciated and thanks a lot!

EL

petestrash
21-10-2006, 11:55 PM
While TiVo does run on Linux, without the TiVo applications/drivers I don't think there is much you could do with the hardware other than a linux terminal.

The easiest solution would be to check the image begging threads on Dealdatabase and see if someone will point you to an image. From there once you have the necessary drivers loaded you could customise the box to what you want.

Peter.

mfomferra
22-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Yes that seems the best way, according to what I just read it seems the kernel also has to be signed and you're right there are still the issues with the drivers....
I found an image, let's see how that works out...the more I read, the more I wonder why they use linux and make their boxes more restrictive than the x86's...one would think the more open a platform is, the more people use it and improve it...serves both sides well....nonetheless, it's just fun playing around with a different box...

thanks a lot for your reply!