PDA

View Full Version : Map userids from the mailing list to the forums?

Benji
30-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Is this possible, so that everyone on the mailing list doesn't have to register manually?

Cheers

B

curto
30-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Benji,

Good thought but very hard to do - we do not know their passwords etc - it would take a dump of the userlist from Warren and then a script to import to create all the User IDs etc - a lot of effort.

The ones who find their way over here will not begrudge the effort of setting themselves up (i would imagine)

regards

Craig

Benji
30-03-2004, 12:51 PM
And it would breach the privacy terms of the mailing list.

Cheers

B

tenty
30-03-2004, 04:07 PM
And it would breach the privacy terms of the mailing list.

Cheers

B

I would just also like to point out that some people might use 2 email addresses. One for registering with forums, and another for the mailing list. As on the mailing list you do not have an option for a username, this becomes a problem.

The information could also be linked to Minnie's Wiki-fied information, but then it asks the question of how many people have signed up to change information on minnie? and how would you synchronise the 2 passwords. Unfortunatly this is an impossible task with the board, as I have been ensured that the passwords are a one way encryption (which is the best way to do it).

Explanation of One way Encryption: The password you choose, for aguments sake is "dog" is sent through an encryption method. this might come out as "92jdk2389tjd". now if you throw "cat" at it, it will come out as something else instead. ie. "82395jfkjlds". you can never decrypt this data though. it takes your password and encrypts it and then compares the encrypted string. So as far as the script is concerned. "92jdk2389tjd" must match "92jdk2389tjd" and not anything else.
End One way encryption method