PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Unresponsive - Duplix Matching Issue?

likka
16-09-2006, 01:30 PM
I've also added this to the mailing list...

I've had my S1 tivo for a couple of years now and it has been running like a dream. I'm still using the the orginal 1.3 image (v3.0 release 1) with 250g hdd and cachecard.

The performance from tivoweb started to degrade a couple of months ago, about the same time I started noticing daily guide data call failures. As time went by the only way I could load guide data was manaully through tivoweb, which became slower and slower and very hit and miss. Resetting the tivo, router, laptop didn't seem to help.

Now the performance has gotten to the point where I can rarely even get to the tivo, either via tivoweb or telnet. Ping drops 50-100% of packets sent. I suspect duplex mismatch, but am not sure what to do next.

Here is my simple home network config:
- aanet ISP (uses Telstra wholesale services)
- Netcomm NB5580W wireless ADSL modem /router, with 4 port LAN
- cat 5 connection to the through LAN port directly to tivo cachecard
- Intel proset wireless card in laptop (using 802.11g)
- static IP address on tivo
- DHCP for rest of network devices

I also have another machine that I use as a file server, this is also wireless. The throughput between this and my primary laptop has also varied wildly. During my diagnostic testing I have switched this machine off so as to not 'cloud the water'.

To eliminate wireless adapter as a potential source of the problem I disabled it on laptop and connected directly through the 4 port switch on the router.

Surfing the web through this cat 5 LAN connection is quick and stable. Attempting to access the tivo either through http, telnet (putty) or even ping can cause the XP network connection to drop (ie ipconfig reports media disconnected state). The more the performance has degraded the more this has occurred. I have experienced this with multiple laptops, a DELL Inspiron 9400 (mine) and IBM ThinkPad R60 (work). I have used multiple cat 5 cables also, and ensured they are not crossover cables. Interestingly when I attempt the same through the wireless adapter the connection doesn't drop. All other results are identical though.

The connection dropping symptom is what leads me to believe this issue is related to an ethernet duplex mismatch. How could I confirm this? How would I connect directly using a crossover cable? Another option is a faulty cachecard, but I do not have another to swap into it to test :(. I also do not have a serial cable... come to think of it I don't have a machine with a serial port either!

I am now at the point where I cannot access the tivo at all, and guide data runs out Sunday night. The last couple of tivoweb guide data loads took 20-40 attempts, looks like I'm finally stranded. Anyone had issues like this before?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

petestrash
18-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Likka has posted to the mailing list that the cause was found to be the Netcomm NB5580W wireless ADSL modem/router's ports were failing.

Peter.