PDA

View Full Version : IR code for Austar ATB G3

gregn
07-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Does anyone have a code for the Austar G3. I have tried 30016 and 30017 from the OzTivo database for Austar but neither work with my G3. (30017 will find some numbers, some of the time)
Alternatively is their someone out there with better skills than me, who can write a TIVO IR slicecreator program for this G3 if I supply a remote. I've tried to use the slicecreator program, but its all a bit too technical for this poor old pilot. Cheers!

petestrash
10-09-2006, 08:43 AM
I'd be happy to capture the codes for you, but I won't be back in Oz till mid October.

Do you know who makes your box?

Some of the 1xxxx from the US like the general instruments codes worked well on earlier Optus STB's.

Peter.

gregn
10-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Thankyou Peter.
Manufacturer of Austar G3 is ADB (Advanced Digital Broadcast) of Switzerland. The OzTIVO data base code 30017 that can be found in the OzTivo database is for a very similar model the Atlas. The Atlas and G3 look identical but must have different software.
I'm also running down the track of "maybe the problem is the IR cable" and have been trying lots of options as suggested by the forum. No luck as yet apart from some occassion pick up of one or two numbers.
I appreciate your offer and will contact you again in mid-October.
Regards, Greg Norris.

Darren King
10-09-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm also running down the track of "maybe the problem is the IR cable"

Hi Greg

Possible, but rare. You can test this in two ways:

1. Try looking at the Blaster emitter (the bit you put up near your STB) through a digital camera or video camera. Modern CCD lenses can see IR light and convert it into visible light in the viewfinder and you will be able to see the blinks when you change channel.

2. Unplug the IR Blaster cable and see if the inbuilt IR blaster in the front panel "eye" of the TiVo gives better results. There may be enough IR emitted to bounce off a nearby wall, or if your STB and TiVo is behind a glass door of an entertainment unit the IR light will reflect adequately off this. If either of those is not within your scope of setup then face the STB directly at the eye of the TiVo.

gregn
11-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Thankyou for your suggestions Darren.
I have eliminated the IR cable as a source of the problem. I have worked the IR direct from the front of the TiVo and the result is the same as using IR cable. I have also used two different IR Cables. Always the same result.
I have covered the Source on front of TiVo, varied the positioning of the emitter lead, worked the whole thing in a darkened room and tried every suggestion I could find on the Forum. The annoying thing is that using code 30017 I can get every number from 0 through 9 to have worked at one time or other, but I can not get consistent 2 or 3 number sequences to work. I have even played with direct change of the number of digits expected by TiVo by Telnetting program changes. I have it currently set at 3 digits as my Austar Channels are 3 digit. Naturally I have used all 3 speeds on the database for Code 30017. I cant quite understand why if I can get each number 0 through 9 to work sometimes why not most times. I have a success rate of about 1 in 20 or so tries. I understand IR is not 100% but I have not been able to get the TiVo to make a single channel change on it's own as yet.
Is it possible this could be a a hardware problem withinthe IR generator in the TiVo box or is it as simple as the Code 30017 is not correct for my Austar G3 box?
Any thoughts from anyone will be appreciated.
Regards, Greg. Norris

Darren King
11-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Is it possible this could be a a hardware problem withinthe IR generator in the TiVo box

No. I do a long list of tests on every TiVo I get for modding and in the IR Blaster department I do two:

1. I test with a visible LED plugged into the IR socket on the rear of the TiVo (as opposed to the usual IR LED in a Blaster) and the brightness levels and patterns I observed on yours was normal.

2. I test that the TiVo will change channels on a STB I have in the test rack when I use my pre-configured test hard disk to check that all A/V inputs and outputs are functional before I commence modifications, and again after modifications.

I would not be casting suspicion on it being a hardware problem but more the 30017 code is similar but not perfect for the G3.

gregn
11-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks again Darren.
I wasn't aware you did all these tests but I'm pleased you are so thorough. At least this forum and your expertise has helped eliminate many possible options. Like most things, its probably the simplest answer which is most likely.At least I've been learning a lot about mg TiVo.
I really think it must be the code.
Back to square one.

Trevor Henley
24-10-2006, 09:38 PM
hi everyone, i am also having exactly the same problem with the Austar Satelite unit. I am also getting 1 or 2 numbers on the 30017 code. I have tried numerous ir blasters including on with a visable led as well. It appears that Tivo misses the first number most time and gets the next 2 of the 3 channel numbers.

gregn
29-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi Trevor,
Petestrash has kindly offerred to try and write a new code for the G3 Austar STB. I sent him a G3 remote control last week for him to take the IR codes off if possible, although he has warned me it might not be possible. Keep your eye out on the "setup" files for a new code under Austar, if/when Petestrash is able to find time to get it up and running. Regards, GregN

petestrash
29-10-2006, 03:26 PM
I haven't recieved the remote yet, but it does take a long time for parcel post to make it across the desert.

If I can get it to capture, I will need to send the files to you for test before they are included in the IR slice.

Peter.

petestrash
31-10-2006, 12:08 PM
I now have the remote.

My spare TiVo is busy with fault finding the last remaining installer issues in the new oztivo iso release, but should be able to get on to it this weekend.

Peter.

petestrash
09-11-2006, 04:27 AM
Ok, I've had a few goes at getting the codes.

I have attached a zipped tcl for you to try.

Unzip the tcl file, then upload it to your TiVo

Telnet into your tivo and go to the directory you uploaded the tcl to.

Then type the following:

tivosh

{you should now have a prompt like this}

%

Then type

source Austar.tcl

Then type

Austar

Then type

exit

Now find your source record, use TivoWeb(or TivoWebPlus), click MFS(or more... then MFS in TWP) Scroll down the page to "setup" Click the number in the third column (Id). Write down the number that appears after "source =", should look a bit like XXXX/YY ( with numbers in place of XXXXX & YY and may have more or less digits than the X's and Y's shown).

execute the following from Telnet

dbsetx XXXXXX/YY CableBoxCodeNum 29997

Where XXXXXX & YY are from your source.

If successful It should display the current setting and what the new setting now is.

Then reboot your TiVo and test the tivo remote. Make sure initially that the STB faces the TiVo. Once the codes are sorted you can play with final positioning.

Let me know how these codes go. I'll hold on to the remote in case there are still issues.

Peter.

petestrash
09-11-2006, 05:22 PM
I have also attached a different version, which uses the same frequency as the 30017 codes.

Let me know how they go.

Peter.